Methotrexate side effects

So far I seem to be alright. Took it at 9 pm last night and only had a few pains in my stomach over night. I just rolled to my side and was fine. Not sure though if that was from the meds as I had bad gas before I took the meds. I don't feel sick at all and very hungry.

I haven't even taken any folic acid yet either.

I got really shakey and dizzy but i am also on prednisone with it. I drank oj and took folic acid and felt better…

I was also prescribed Prednisone, but told not to take it until after I've had my TB skin test. Somehow the steroids can skew the results.

Can u tell me if you self inject your MTX ?

2trees said:

You do need to take a high dose of folic acid. 5mg and for that you may need a perscription. Injectable has less side effects. I have been on MTX for 4 yrs injectable will little or no SE/s

It is not hard to learn how to inject yourself either. The nurse shows you how. I inject MTX into my thighs. I inject humira into my tummy

Personally, I found one of the most helpful things in cutting down on the woozy/tired/nausea/indigestion/head-achey stuff from MTX is drinking lots of water the day before, the day of, and the day after taking MTX. I do also take 5 mg. of folic acid every day. These days the only side effect I have is a slight thinning of my hair on one side of my head. When I forget to play "camel", the MTX messes with my digestive system and I get rather tired.

I take the pill form, 6x once a week. I've read that doctors prescribe it once a week because it's not as bad for your liver compared to taking it daily.

I am on 20mg a week dosage, I have been taking it for past 3 weeks, started with 15mg a week. I take it on Tuesday after breakfast. So far, I have not felt any effects like nausea etc after taking Mtx.

Istarted Mtx in April 2011, initially I was ok, just had nausea now and then. Had to stop it in Aug 2011 after having throat ulcers for 2months (was awful basically had a sore throat the whole time), I then started it again in Oct 2011 when i started Humira however was not taking it as prescribed as I was scared of the side effects. Rheumey has now told me to take 8 tabs once weekly. I took it on monday night. Felt awful on tuesday, like a train had gone over me. Although I had a good night sleep I was fatigued the whole day! feeling better today, so will just wait and see what happens next week...

My brother was on MTX for years before he passed at age 47. He lost so much of his hair but he had severe psoriatic arthritis. They used him at the college of medicine to do studies on. He passed in 1993 and injections were never mentioned to him. They may not have used MTX injectables at the time he was on it.

Mom of 2 said:

Can u tell me if you self inject your MTX ?

2trees said:

You do need to take a high dose of folic acid. 5mg and for that you may need a perscription. Injectable has less side effects. I have been on MTX for 4 yrs injectable will little or no SE/s

I self injected Humira in my stomach for the last 2 years, however, it seems to have stopped working for me so they're going to switch me to Enbrel. I'm not sure where they'll have me inject it. I'm assuming the stomach, also. I've never had a problem self injecting with the pen.

2trees said:

It is not hard to learn how to inject yourself either. The nurse shows you how. I inject MTX into my thighs. I inject humira into my tummy

I started MTX last night. I will begin enbrel as soon as it comes in the mail. I tried sulfasalazine before I was prescribed MTX and enbrel, but it gave me a nasty migraine that would not go away. I already have chronic headaches so and headaches are a common side effect of all of these meds, so that makes me nervous in general for finding one that helps but doesn't make my headaches worse.

I took the MTX on a Friday night after reading discussions on here. I felt really dizzy and weird and went to bed. Today I have felt lousy all day and I don't know how else to describe it other than just plain lousy. I feel kind of sick to my stomach and have no energy at all. I am disappointed that my weekend is so far "ruined", but then again I always feel lousy so feeling more lousy than usual with the hope of feeling better is bearable for me.

I know it can take a long time to feel the full effects of MTX, but when does it start helping?

Interesting. It seems like everyone reacts differently to MTX. Today I feel a little bit better than yesterday. I don't feel dizzy or lightheaded anymore. My appetite is just down a little bit and I haven't been eating as much the past few days. I have gained so much weight from having this disease and being on so many different meds and eating badly and not being able to exercise... at this point I am just praying one of these medications will make me feel well enough to exercise again.