To start medication or not to start medication

Hello there, I am so pleased to have found this support group. I have very recently been diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis, symptoms started about a year ago. I am in a real dilema as to whether I should start medication or not. The rheumatologist has prescribed Sulfasalazine. I would say I have mild PsA, it effects 5 of my fingers, my feet and my ankle, at times it can be painful and I need to take painkillers but then other times I just have mild aches. I have lost some motion in one of my fingers. I feel that at the mo my PsA is not severe enough to risk the side effects of the medication. Really my question is do we need to treatment PsA in the same way as Rheumatiod Arthritis, early and aggresively or should I wait and see how the PsA progresses. I really wish I had been a bit more prepped for my Rhaumatology appointment! Any advice/insight would be greatfully appreciated.

PsA is more crippling than RA and effects more body systems (depending on the form you have) The possible SE of drugs which are listed but very rare are mild compared to the effects of the disease. If your rheumy is STARTING with sulfazine, your case may not be so mild as you think. Not all inflamation causes pain..... Sulfazine has been around for a very long time (70 years or so) Its pretty easily tolerated.....

My Rheumatologist said that Insurance dictates where he starts, which to my case meant he would have liked to put me on biologics immediately, but had to start at the beginning. It took me 7 months to get to my current med that is starting to work, but the damage that took place in that time was substantial. There is no reversing the damage.

I'm not on meds but these folks are well versed with this disease and the meds they take for it. If I get to your place, I KNOW I'll have the same concerns and questions and will ask these folks the EXACT same questions.

Hi there sorry you have been diagnosed with this disease PsA. Why would you wait until your disease is worse to take meds that may improve your life and slow the progression of this disease.? You state you have already lost ROM in one finger and your feet and ankles hurt and that at times you take pain medication. Do you know that inflamation causes all sorts of damage and that you can have inflamation that you cannot see or really feel?

I wish I could have had the option to wait and see. I had no warning that lept out at me and now my knees are both replaced. Have I freaked you out yet? I hope so Please don't play down your symptoms. PsA is an agressive disease and yours may be calmed down at the moment. Please talk to your general practitioner about this if you have concerns. Your rheumatologist knows what she is talking about. She wants to start you on these meds to improve your chances of no more joint damage.

Fear the disease and not the meds. My motto I live by it and it works for me

I am on Humira 40mg every 2 weeks, weekly injections of Methotrexate 25mg ,naproxen as needed, narcotics as needed. Lucky for me I dont need those daily or even weekly cause I take the meds.

I dont think you can really be prepped for a 1st rheum appt. Your next one will be better. good luck listen to your rheumatologist

My Rheumatologist told me that Remicade would not only stop the damage, but would actually reverse it..

SK said:

My Rheumatologist said that Insurance dictates where he starts, which to my case meant he would have liked to put me on biologics immediately, but had to start at the beginning. It took me 7 months to get to my current med that is starting to work, but the damage that took place in that time was substantial. There is no reversing the damage.

Thank you all for your advice, I feel much much clearer now, it looks like I'm being very niave thinking/hoping the PsA will not develop much further. Pro-active is the way to go, I shall be taking myself off to the docs this morning to process my prescription. Thanks again x

Wishing you all the best, Rachel! Hope it's a hit!

My Rheumy and Family Doc. have said to wait and take only NSAIDs. But what I read here, and on the PsA websites, they say not to wait. It has been one year since I saw the first Rheumy who said my case was mild, IF I really had PsA he said. ( he didnt believe me when he couldnt find the P that i have seen on my scalp or legs!) I am in more pain now and I lay around a lot more b/c my feet hurt when I stay on them long and my hands hurt when I try to do anything. I’m not sure it is right to wait and I think I’m going to see another Rheumy.

said:

Hi there sorry you have been diagnosed with this disease PsA. Why would you wait until your disease is worse to take meds that may improve your life and slow the progression of this disease.? You state you have already lost ROM in one finger and your feet and ankles hurt and that at times you take pain medication. Do you know that inflamation causes all sorts of damage and that you can have inflamation that you cannot see or really feel?

I wish I could have had the option to wait and see. I had no warning that lept out at me and now my knees are both replaced. Have I freaked you out yet? I hope so Please don’t play down your symptoms. PsA is an agressive disease and yours may be calmed down at the moment. Please talk to your general practitioner about this if you have concerns. Your rheumatologist knows what she is talking about. She wants to start you on these meds to improve your chances of no more joint damage.

Fear the disease and not the meds. My motto I live by it and it works for me

I am on Humira 40mg every 2 weeks, weekly injections of Methotrexate 25mg ,naproxen as needed, narcotics as needed. Lucky for me I dont need those daily or even weekly cause I take the meds.

I dont think you can really be prepped for a 1st rheum appt. Your next one will be better. good luck listen to your rheumatologist

I was diagnosed two years ago and have left it. I watched all my toes swell up and recently one of my fingers I can't bend and my knees have become painful. I'm starting to wish I had started some treatment earlier, but the best thing is to start when you feel comfortable and ready to do it, because it will be for a long time. Good luck and all the best.

rachelinauk said:

Thank you all for your advice, I feel much much clearer now, it looks like I'm being very niave thinking/hoping the PsA will not develop much further. Pro-active is the way to go, I shall be taking myself off to the docs this morning to process my prescription. Thanks again x