Success with Holistic Treatment!

Thought some of you might like to know what’s been working for me. Not preaching, just sharing. After a severe and sudden onset in late October, I ended up virtually unable to move, as just about every joint was affected. Could barely stand, each (assisted) step had me screaming in pain. Rheumatologist told me Humira and Enbrel were my only options. I decided I did not want to run the risks and that I would pursue holistic treatment. I totally changed my diet, started IV vitamin infusions (mostly C, but also glutathione) twice a week, learned how to manage my stress, and slowly moved from wheelchair to walker. Now I’m using a cane more for fatigue than anything else. Started physical therapy this week.

For me, diet is key. When I eat refined sugar, wheat, and soy, my skin worsens and the joints follow. The film “Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead” was recommended to me (not so much because I needed to lose weight, but because of its approach to treating disease via diet) and it changed my life. I do a modified green juice diet (two juices and one meal a day). I try to stay as close to a raw, organic, plant-based diet as possible.

The IV infusions were miraculous. I’m down to one a week. And it’s not hocus pocus. The Mayo Clinic is running studies on this treatment. Worth investigating, for sure. I personally saw the difference it made in me and many others with whom I receive treatment. I'm also taking a variety of supplements recommended by my doctor (Curcumin, milk thistle, zinc, Vitamin D, bromelian, and boswellia).

But I think the biggest change has been the way I approach life. I believe stress brought this on (for me) and better managing my stress has helped me get it under control. “A New Earth” by Eckhart Tolle showed me the way. It's a great book well worth the read.

Now I’m in physical therapy rebuilding my strength and flexibility. My inflammatory markers are WAY down, and my skin is improving too (for skin, I use Rooting Bear Rub, sounds odd but now my doctor is selling it out of his office because it is working so well for all of his patients with skin conditions). It’s all-natural, inexpensive, and available online. I will be adding acupuncture to the mix soon and I'll let you know how that goes!

Best of luck on your journey.

Good for you! I am not familiar with bromelian and boswellia can you share a bit more?? For skin I prefer EMU oil. I don't know if has to go to the extreme of a green juice diet (it is a times saver though and my wife actually gets it down me) most of the studies (including Mayo's) are concentrating on startches, Glutens, and of course Sugar.

Thanks for sharing!!!!!

I think these areas really are worth exploring. We know way too little about diet. Who would have thought a lo carb high calorie high fat diet would actually reduce cholesterol and weight? Eggs (one of the only natural source of lecthicin-cholesterol fighting stuff) are still on many nutritionists hit list despite the fact its well known they aren't a problem causer.

One word of caution though Buffy, EVEN THOUGH your inflammation markers are down please make sure your joint health is monitored, Even in the absence of inflammation spondylits and other joint damage can occur.

Hi! Boswellia is for "joint comfort". It's an herbal supplement. Bromelain is an natural anti-inflammatory. It is found in pineapples, which I was CRAVING right before I got hit with this thing!

I like the green juices and was already a vegan; so not much of a stretch for me. I do understand how it seems extreme to others, the way drugs seem extreme to me (given my propensity for drug allergies and history with side effects). And I do think food sensitivities (for me wheat, refined sugar, and soy) play a big part in my body's response to this disease. I also think it's a very personal thing and what works for one may not work for all.

Forgot to mention that I also tried bee venom injections. They helped my knees, but not my hands. And boy were they painful!

Will keep tabs on joint health! Thanks for the advice! So nice to be moving around again. My goal is a 2-mile hike by the end of May (for my birthday). Considering I was in a wheelchair through January, that'll be a major accomplishment for me.

I have a friend who will in the midst of a flair go on a fast for few days and eat pineapple. never seen it fail...... With your history of allergies you were brave to try Bee Venom (most of it is produce north of here BTW) dang near killed me.

Buffy said:

Hi! Boswellia is for "joint comfort". It's an herbal supplement. Bromelain is an natural anti-inflammatory. It is found in pineapples, which I was CRAVING right before I got hit with this thing!

I like the green juices and was already a vegan; so not much of a stretch for me. I do understand how it seems extreme to others, the way drugs seem extreme to me (given my propensity for drug allergies and history with side effects). And I do think food sensitivities (for me wheat, refined sugar, and soy) play a big part in my body's response to this disease. I also think it's a very personal thing and what works for one may not work for all.

Forgot to mention that I also tried bee venom injections. They helped my knees, but not my hands. And boy were they painful!

Will keep tabs on joint health! Thanks for the advice! So nice to be moving around again. My goal is a 2-mile hike by the end of May (for my birthday). Considering I was in a wheelchair through January, that'll be a major accomplishment for me.

Interesting about the pineapple fast. I may try that! Thanks! even if it doesn't work, it'll sure taste good!

I already knew the bee venom wouldn't bother me. Grew up on a farm. We kept bees. I had no idea how much it would hurt, though! And I'm up for trying just about any natural alternative; so if you know of anything I haven't tried, please speak up! There is one "sure-fire" drug-free solution I did reject. My friend swears by pregnancy as a way to alleviate her symptoms. But at 43, I think I'll pass on more kids : )

email this guy he is the Guru of Gurus, he'll set you on the right path:

anzaltopo@yahoo.com

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFFmqH66ORM

and: www. Kickas.org

He goes by tacitus over the Spondylits boards

Buffy said:

Interesting about the pineapple fast. I may try that! Thanks! even if it doesn't work, it'll sure taste good!

I already knew the bee venom wouldn't bother me. Grew up on a farm. We kept bees. I had no idea how much it would hurt, though! And I'm up for trying just about any natural alternative; so if you know of anything I haven't tried, please speak up! There is one "sure-fire" drug-free solution I did reject. My friend swears by pregnancy as a way to alleviate her symptoms. But at 43, I think I'll pass on more kids : )

Hi Buffy, I agree that I think stress is one of the biggest contributors. Atleast for me it is. I am now seeing a pattern that I never could see before.

My oldest son has ADHD and most nights is a fight to get him to go through the bed time routine. Each night were he doesn't listen seems to be the nights I am just in agony. Unfortunately I don't know if I can become completely stress free.

JacksonJ, thanks for your reply. I too have a child with a "learning difference" and I empathize! For me, it hasn't been about elminating the situations that I have found stressful. I can (and have) done that to some degree, but sh** happens. I've found it's how I deal with it that has made all the difference -- becoming less reactive, not taking things personally, realizing it's not about me (it just IS). Takes practice, and I haven't mastered it by any means, but it's a habit you can develop. Read "A New Earth" -- it might help you face your challenges. It did for me. At least, it was a start -- the catalyst for a real life change, a transformation that is still happening. I've also learned to be more patient with myself and that I cannot be responsible for everything and everyone. I was taking care of everyone, but myself. It took a health crisis to make me see that. And now I find myself strangely grateful for the wake-up call. It could have been a heart attack, the way I was headed. And now I'm determined to be more healthy (physically and emotionally) as a result of my diagnosis. Best of luck to you and your family : )

JacksonJ said:

Hi Buffy, I agree that I think stress is one of the biggest contributors. Atleast for me it is. I am now seeing a pattern that I never could see before.

My oldest son has ADHD and most nights is a fight to get him to go through the bed time routine. Each night were he doesn't listen seems to be the nights I am just in agony. Unfortunately I don't know if I can become completely stress free.

Hi Buffy-It's funny how for some of us it takes a brick over the head before we wake up and take care of ourselves. I, too, was so busy taking care of everyone else that there was no time left for me. I would sleep 4 hours a night, eat on the run and work 10 hours a day-then come home, and as I always say, start my second job taking care of the house and family. I was thinking the other day that maybe this is my body's way of saying slow down and pay attention.

Please keep me updated on your holistic approach. It sounds like it's working wonders for you!

Buffy said:

JacksonJ, thanks for your reply. I too have a child with a "learning difference" and I empathize! For me, it hasn't been about elminating the situations that I have found stressful. I can (and have) done that to some degree, but sh** happens. I've found it's how I deal with it that has made all the difference -- becoming less reactive, not taking things personally, realizing it's not about me (it just IS). Takes practice, and I haven't mastered it by any means, but it's a habit you can develop. Read "A New Earth" -- it might help you face your challenges. It did for me. At least, it was a start -- the catalyst for a real life change, a transformation that is still happening. I've also learned to be more patient with myself and that I cannot be responsible for everything and everyone. I was taking care of everyone, but myself. It took a health crisis to make me see that. And now I find myself strangely grateful for the wake-up call. It could have been a heart attack, the way I was headed. And now I'm determined to be more healthy (physically and emotionally) as a result of my diagnosis. Best of luck to you and your family : )

JacksonJ said:

Thanks so much for sharing! I am searching into changing my diet too. I was going to follow the anti-inflamatory diet, but then when I read about the juice diet I remembered that movie I watched a couple months ago. I was ready for the diet and even ordered a juices but this Breville was worthless. It made foamy baby food and that's not what I expected. Can you share which brand/kind of juicer you used. Thanks!!!!

Hi LC.

I'm very surprised to hear about your experience with the Breville. I have the Breville Juice Fountain Elite and swear by it (am sipping a kale, green apple, cucumber, celery, ginger juice that I just made a few minutes ago!). The Breville is in very heavy rotation here, with three of us using it daily (me most of all). We did notice that if the mesh type thing with the blades at the bottom isn't cleaned with the scrubbing brush after every other juice, the juice will get thick. But if we use the supplied brush, it cleans up quick and easy and the juice is perfect (NOT pulpy at all). I'm not a fan of foam, so I use the foam guard on the pitcher. Which Breville did you buy? I think there's a bug difference between this one and the other models, or at least that's what I read when doing my research. Hope that helps!

Buffy

I think it was the compact size one. I wonder if the model made the difference or if it was just a dud. Definitely not related to cleaning it, and foam guard didn't work because it wasnt a foam layer at the top, it was just mush and foamy throughout, there was no seperation. So, weird, I will look into that different model. I'd like to try again because you gave me hope. I was so excited when I got all my bags of produce and the machine delivere. I was ready for my new life on the juice diet when suddenly I saw that blobby babyfood coming out of it. You can imagine, I almost cried!

Can you also ellaborate more on the foods you avoid. Do you eat grains? Which ones are okay/not okay? Do you eat the nightshades like tomatoes and potatoes? Do you eat eggs, milk, fish? Thanks for all the help

Buffy said:

Hi LC.

I'm very surprised to hear about your experience with the Breville. I have the Breville Juice Fountain Elite and swear by it (am sipping a kale, green apple, cucumber, celery, ginger juice that I just made a few minutes ago!). The Breville is in very heavy rotation here, with three of us using it daily (me most of all). We did notice that if the mesh type thing with the blades at the bottom isn't cleaned with the scrubbing brush after every other juice, the juice will get thick. But if we use the supplied brush, it cleans up quick and easy and the juice is perfect (NOT pulpy at all). I'm not a fan of foam, so I use the foam guard on the pitcher. Which Breville did you buy? I think there's a bug difference between this one and the other models, or at least that's what I read when doing my research. Hope that helps!

Buffy

Oh! How discouraging! But be ENCOURAGED now! I juice three or four times a day, my boyfriend and daughter once a day. We all use the Breville. It's expensive but well worth the investment and SO easy to clean. You'll love it : ) Amazon had the best price when I was looking. Williams-Sonoma carries it too. Let me know how it goes!

No grains, no nightshades. It's VERY limiting but seems to be working, along with the supplements and IVs (a mix of vitamins and good stuff, lots of C, glutathione). I just got some great info from someone else going holistic, but it's too much to share here. I could email it to you if you'd like. Let me know. Need to rest now. Good night : )