Struggling emotionally

Hi. I am 42y/o female diagnosed abput 4 months aho. I have tried the nsid for several ytears now before the actual diagnosis was made and have been on arava for about 3 months npw. It is not working. Nothing seems to be working and nothing seems to bring any relief. As matter of fact, i seem to be getting worse...physically and emotionally. I did the strroid temporaroly and that worked for about a week. I am depressed and i ahve noone to talk to abput this disease who can grasp what i a, going through. I have also diabetes typw 1 fpr 30 years now sp ypu woild think chronic illness wpuld not affect me in such a way but the difference is the pain and buy is it ever a huge difference. Me and my husband are living like most peope...payvjeck to paycheck...any extra money going tp doctors and medications and i cant afford tp see a therapist. Rheumatologist is thinkinh of trying me on a biologic which i am hopeful will work. Anyways looking for some suggestions on what i can do to help myself cope with this and another question i have is does stress affect PSA? (Sorry for typos...visually impaured) thanks.

Hi Layla, sorry to hear you are having problems getting relief from your pain. Sometimes it does take a trial of different medicines to get something that works. There are lots of great folk on the site who will share their experiences and are great listeners and can relate to what you are going through. Like many diseases stress can make things worse - do you have a rheumatology nurse or someone you can talk with?

Hiya! Just one thing.... you might want to copy & paste this post to our section called 'Emotional Support'. However that is not as important as the issues you raise here and now.

My first thought is when do you see your rheumy next? As is the case with a lot of PsA drugs, Arava can take a while to work, but 3 months is close to the point at which it should be reconsidered. If you and your rheumy do decide to go for a biologic that might well be a game changer for you, biologics have certainly made a world of difference to many.

Sorry to say this, but I think stress can affect PsA considerably. I've reluctantly come to the conclusion that while I can cope with stress mentally, it quickly affects me physically. You have to believe that things will improve down the line & that way of thinking is not mindless optimism, it is often the reality. Real hope, based on realistic prospects, can help with stress.

Struggling on a low-income, as are many, is tough for sure and presents some extra challenges. I'm in the UK so I don't know what if any help might be available for those who cannot afford counselling etc. in the US. But I will say that we are here, you've joined us, and that is a start.

If at all possible, get out there and get some exercise, even a regular stroll can help with pain. You might start by hurting more, then, gradually the movement helps. Swimming's great too. Stretching exercises in the privacy of your own home are good .... but keep moving and in a little while you might see a difference assuming you're not doing this already. And on PsA meds - drink plenty of water. Again, such a simple thing but one that can help you feel that bit better. It all adds up, it all takes time.

Thats one of my problens is i dpnt really like to talk in person or over the phone even. I am quite the introvert and have diffivulty expressing myself verbally but get me on the internet and theres no stopping me...lol believ it or not...just this little intercjange and few portongs already helped me to feel a little better. Sounds silly i know but it really did. Just to know somwone can understand me really helps. Thank you

AuroraB said:

Hi Layla, sorry to hear you are having problems getting relief from your pain. Sometimes it does take a trial of different medicines to get something that works. There are lots of great folk on the site who will share their experiences and are great listeners and can relate to what you are going through. Like many diseases stress can make things worse - do you have a rheumatology nurse or someone you can talk with?

There ypu are....ok. i see her in two weeks. I stay as actove as my body will allow me and i dp go for a short daily stroll though its not very far bc i am viaually impaired which complicates a lot of things all by itself! Oh woe is me....lol i know there really is hope ...it just gets terrinly lonely being that i am such an introvert and am new the area i live in so i have no friends or family here other than my husband. Just being able to get some amswers and interaction abput this frpm people who actually jave experienced this has already made me feel better fpr the time being, i really appreciate ypur reply and i am feeling better knowing i have somehwere to get some support. And i drink water all the time. I dont drink anything except water bc i sweat so much and goign thrpugh the change as well...omg...woe is me again...ha! Thaks again!

Sybil said:

Hiya! Just one thing.... you might want to copy & paste this post to our section called 'Emotional Support'. However that is not as important as the issues you raise here and now.

My first thought is when do you see your rheumy next? As is the case with a lot of PsA drugs, Arava can take a while to work, but 3 months is close to the point at which it should be reconsidered. If you and your rheumy do decide to go for a biologic that might well be a game changer for you, biologics have certainly made a world of difference to many.

Sorry to say this, but I think stress can affect PsA considerably. I've reluctantly come to the conclusion that while I can cope with stress mentally, it quickly affects me physically. You have to believe that things will improve down the line & that way of thinking is not mindless optimism, it is often the reality. Real hope, based on realistic prospects, can help with stress.

Struggling on a low-income, as are many, is tough for sure and presents some extra challenges. I'm in the UK so I don't know what if any help might be available for those who cannot afford counselling etc. in the US. But I will say that we are here, you've joined us, and that is a start.

If at all possible, get out there and get some exercise, even a regular stroll can help with pain. You might start by hurting more, then, gradually the movement helps. Swimming's great too. Stretching exercises in the privacy of your own home are good .... but keep moving and in a little while you might see a difference assuming you're not doing this already. And on PsA meds - drink plenty of water. Again, such a simple thing but one that can help you feel that bit better. It all adds up, it all takes time.

Joining this group is a really great start for you. If it's easier for you to reach out this way, take advantage.

You asked if stress affects PsA. For many people, absolutely. And chronic pain can lead to depression, getting you into a bad cycle. Even if you don't want to talk to somebody, try to stay active. It will be good for you physically and mentally. Do what you can, even if it is just a short easy walk every day.

Hi, Layla Dawn and welcome here. You’re having a hard time, and we get it. Most of us who hang out here have been through some very tough periods involving both physical and mental pain. Some of us are doing better than we were, and some of us are still waiting for improvement. All of us understand what it means to be diagnosed with this disease. And it’s tough.

Stress does make my disease worse. But it’s also worth understanding that your disease could be driving your depression – there’s more and more evidence coming out that depression could well be a symptom of your disease, and not just your reaction to the physical symptoms. Your joints and tendons hurt, you’re tired, and your brain is taking a PsA beating too.

Here’s an article that Moderator Sybil posted a few months back:

http://discussion.livingwithpsoriaticarthritis.org/forum/topics/inflammati…

Of course reading it won’t cure your depression, but knowing that you feel the way you do becase of your disease, rather than because you’re not coping well, might cheer you up a little. It’s not Layla, it’s the damned PsA.

The lesson that I take from this information is: accept the most aggressive treatment that your rheumatologist is prepared to give you. If your rheum offers you a biologic and there’s any way that you can manage to take it, go for it. You may be surprised at how well your body and your mind respond. No guarantees, of course, but it’s worth a try if you can swing it.

I too am struggling with stress and depression. It is proven for me that sitting for more than 20 minutes can be excruciating. So it seems obvious that keeping moving is a no brainier. But when you are depressed and exhausted from forcing yourself through a 8 hour workday…taking a walk sounds…well, stupid. If it weren’t for my 10 year old daughter I might just give up. Pathetic, I know.

I am a firm believer in soaking up some happy sun. It above everything else seems to rejuvenate my spirit. Good luck to you, and I am here to vent if you need :slight_smile:

I know the stress and depression! I was diagnosed with PsA and no hope for remission. You’re young enough to get through this. Engage in your self! All the support and medicine won’t work unless you engage. Listen to music to calm you. Watch comedy to raise your spirits. A good diet helps.

Hi Layla Dawn,

Wow, I can't imagine -- coping with diabetes most of your life, and now PsA too? My sister had juvenile diabetes from the age of 9. She never complained about her diabetes, either....just took everything in stride--all the daily injections, visual problems and ups and downs with the disease--she had a lot of insulin reactions. We were all in awe of her handling the disease like a trooper!

PsA is another sort of illness that I am beginning to think affects every cell in our bodies (not unlike diabetes that way) and makes us feel downright crappy. I get you about living paycheck to paycheck--I had a really big worry about going on a biologic because they're so expensive. I'm going to put in a plug here for Enbrel because that's the biologic I went on one year ago and have felt 100s of times better since. IDK what your health insurance situation is, but if you have private insurance you can get on the Enbrel Support program. It pays for a huge part of the cost. There's no way I could afford Enbrel without it, but whatever insurance you have or biologic you or your doctor choose, I'm sure there is assistance with paying for it. And there are quite a few different biologics available, which people will assure you have been a godsend for them!

Layla, don't give up hope! I know when you feel so awful you start wondering how you're going to go on through life with pain 24/7, but we want you to know that life will get better once you start getting the right biologic. And, all the nice moderators and other people on this website are so helpful and supportive, IDK where I'd be today if I hadn't stumbled across this site 16 months ago! They have provided me so much encouragement and friendship, it's unreal what a difference this has made in my life. Stick with us here, we're all in the same (or similar) boat!

Also, I'm wondering, with diabetes often comes neuropathy in your limbs/feet. Have you had it? If so, I'm thinking you probably have good treatment for it and don't need my advice. But, I'll put my 2¢ worth in, anyway, haha!!! Ice packs applied to the soles of my feet took away the pain at bedtime so I could sleep. Then there was a pill called Nortriptyline which I took in a 10-30 mg dose which actually cured my neuropathy (this was a few years ago before I went on Enbrel).

You are in good hands here! Glad you found us and stick around! :-)