Starting Stelara soon

I’ve been doing that since January… much longer if you count the months I spend waiting for it to get better on it’s own… I’m good at waiting… I’m not good at dealing with the rush everyone else is in… that’s the problem… I can deal with the pain I can’t deal with everyone rushing me saying I shouldn’t accept a waiting list and to keep calling so they push you up higher… if you do that you push other people down… they know I’m in pain and they assure me it’s going as fast as possible… maybe it’s just the stress of trying to please other people’s ideas of how I should be handeling this that’s making me hurt more…

You’re so lovely Cynthia. Far lovelier than I could ever be. I’m that brash ‘rusher’ type of person who would probably drive you nuts. So since you’re not that then what you need to do is become ‘selectively deaf’. And tune out what the likes of me say. The main thing is remain in a state of mind where you’re more content. I so belief that having the best day I can have today is the only way forward. As only today matters really. So here’s hoping you have a much calmer, nicer day today. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

I had my first injection on Friday… I feel like there was a painkiller in there… I felt great for 24 hours and then crashed… I felt like it was way worse then before the shot until I concentrated on how I felt and how well I could do things and figured out it was the same I just “forgot” what it felt like…

Maybe it was just the relieve of finally getting the shot… it was incredibly anticlimactic…

I’m afraid to post anything about side effects and if it works… Tuesday at work people asked about it and I said it didn’t work yet but I didn’t have any side effects (yet) and now I’m dizzy… I also have a tiny itch in my throat and once or twice a day I get a pain stab in one of my ears… So it’s probably just a cold

Saw a surgeon yesterday about my gallstones… he explained the surgery and that he thinks it might not be gallstones… because the way I describe them aren’t typical… (apparently typical is 95% success and atypical is 50% success)

I wasn’t going to do the surgery before but I’m not now even more… the attacks aren’t often enough to do surgery… I’ll probably think differently when it happens again… but I’ll forget how bad it really was writing a day anyway…

I’m so afraid that everyone expects me to be back to normal as soon as Stelara starts to do something… Right now I’m doing a tiny bit better then Tuesday (didn’t work yesterday so hard to compare) but overall I’m bad enough to not work at all… (I don’t want to stay home alone all day so I push through at the moment… 3 hours a day for 4 days a week… Well that’s the plan… I’m on this schedule for 2 weeks and worked 2 days a week so far… sick or holiday on the other days…)

Maybe the Stelara is working on my depression? I don’t feel like I want to die anymore… maybe that’s why I feel the pain is more manageable? Maybe it’s just a fluke and I’m back down tomorrow… but let’s hope this is the first sign of it working…

I’m not up on Stelara but had assumed it’s just like Humira and Enbrel in that it takes a while to work? If I’m correct, then presumably the first few weeks, perhaps months, after that first shot are likely to be very much like the weeks and months before it, identical really … except for the relief factor, or some apprehension or possibly some side effects. I’d say get the info. on how long Stelara takes to work and be 100% clear about that to your boss. It is not treating your PsA yet.

However if you do start to feel some benefits meanwhile, the depression lifting for example, well keep that under your hat (translation: don’t say anything about it) ‘cos that might raise other peoples’ expectations prematurely. But enjoy … [quote=“Cynthia, post:24, topic:7043”]
I don’t feel like I want to die anymore
[/quote] Oh Cynthia, despair’s not uncommon with or without PsA, if only it was. I can’t tell you how much I hope you’ll get to a much better place very soon.

2 Likes

Thanks :slight_smile: that’s what I’m doing… there’s people who say it started working right away… after 2 weeks but also after 4 weeks and 4 months…

I thought of a way to explain it if it does get better… if you compare it to weather… right now I’m at -40°C if I feel a little better and I feel “-30°C” I’m doing much better but you won’t say it’s nice to be outside yet…

Does this make sense?

I have trouble because today I felt much better in my head which makes me able to handle the pain better… people notice my mood way more then how I move… it’s been a while since this many people asked me how I was doing in one day… they only ask when they think I’ll say I’m better… (not conciously probably)

Yup, makes sense to me, Cynthia. Depression is the worst part of my PsA, and as my PsA gets worse so does my depression. At the moment it is all under control with Humira and Cymbalta, so I will enjoy it while I can.

We’ve had people notice changes early in their bio treatment, and I remember feeling some changes (strange fleeting waves of energy) within days of injecting. Who knows whether that was placebo effect or real, or is placebo effect real? Doesn’t matter enjoy whatever it is – enjoy it quietly as Sybil suggests and hope for the best. But you chances are you won’t get there for a couple of months.

Hang in there, friend.

2 Likes

Hugs Cynthia. Just hugs. Sometimes over thinking makes it worse. Try if you can to just wring the postive stuff out of the experience always. xxx