So, interesting (?) news after rheumy appointment: AS + fibro

Hello everyone,

So, I had an overwhelming week. My main area of problem is my SI joint and my lower back and lately I was having those excruciating pains under my feet and around my ankles, also I was getting this weird pains around my wrists - no swelling. On Tuesday, I had an appointment with my thesis advisor, whose mom also has autoimmune arthritis (as a matter of fact, AS), and when I told her my right foot felt like wood and didn't seem to be functioning, she urged me to go straight to my rheumy's office and demand that he sees me. I was confused and scared, but I did what she said. God, I didn't even have my file with me. After waiting for hours (naturally), he made a detailed physical examination and asked for a bloodwork. It was already 5 pm, so the next day I gave my blood for the tests and got the results in the same day.

Long story short, this is the result of my bloodwork, physical examination, and 2 reevaluated MRI scans from May last year and this February: since I still don't have a diagnosis of psoriasis, he decided to rule out PsA for the time being, but told me that I most definitely had Ankylosing Spondylitis - though I would basically have the same symptoms (for the spondylitis kind) and treatment if it was PsA, since they are in the same group of autoimmune arthritis. Oh, and lately I found out that apparently AS runs in the women of the family, the story goes as back to my grandmother's mother and aunt! - although I don't have the HLA whatever gene. He also told me that I had absolutely nothing to worry about, with my disease's progression rate, and if I exercise religiously and use my meds correctly, it could take decades before it begins seriously affecting my spine - the fusion etc. I was lucky because in the past doctors would wait for the damage to be seen on X-rays, which would be pretty late.

And he thought the pain in my feet was due to fibro, not arthritis - apparently fibro can make limbs and joints swollen as well. And feet pain or not, I definitely had fibro so I needed to be treated for it also (he did the fibro test in all 3 of our appointments and I cried in every one of them). I had rejected the fibro treatment the last two times, but this time I thought what the hell, if it makes the pain go away, it makes the pain go away. If it doesn't, then I'll know what's what. So he gave me muscle relaxers and a mild antidepressant to make me sleep (since I never go into the deep sleep state, I wake up every half hour) and I used it last night. Weirdly, this combo, along with my antiinflammatory, seems to be working. The overall swelling of my feet is gone. How a muscle relaxer can do that, I don't know. Although, the prospectus states that the medicine is also used for tendonitis, enthesitis and other muscle inflammations. So maybe I had some inflammation after all. My wrist pain, pain in my left foot and right knee are gone. My right foot is still hurting and the ball feels a little swollen, but I'll give it a couple more days. I used topicals, massaged and wrapped it, it began feeling much better in the last hour. I almost feel like a human being again.

So... that's the result of my last rheumy appointment. I'm both confused and weirdly relieved about the AS diagnosis though... The thought "I think this is AS" kept bugging me for months now. But now I don't know if I still belong here and I'm kinda sad about it, I got used to so many people here and felt really supported!

Don’t worry about it. I most likely have both. There are differences between the two, but that can be saved for a different time. The only important thing to consider at this point (at least for now) is proper treatment. MTX and Otezla have not been shown to help with AS.

Oh boy, LadyLazarus. That is one load of “stuff” to take on board. I’m glad that you took your advisor’s advice. I’m sorry to hear this, and then again I’m not. I am very relieved for you because it sounds like you are getting closer to the cause of your misery, and you KNOW that you have not been imagining and exaggerating your symptoms. Most of all, I am happy that your rheumy is serious about treating you. And as he said, the treatment is about the same, AS or PsA.
Interesting about muscle relaxants – I have always found them very helpful, even before my diagnosis. I never really looked into them, just knew that they helped me. And you say that they are used for tendon, and muscle inflammation? Hmmmm…isn’t that interesting!
I hope that you are sleeping peacefully tonight and that by the time you read this, you are feeling rested and positive about the progress that you’ve made. This is a giant leap for you, one that could put you back in control of your health and your life.
Well done.

I have seen you on this site since I joined and if its not definitely not PSA and treatment is the same I see no reason for you to feel exhiled. Many people have multiple diagnosis and the whole thing is complicated and docs are trying to answer so many difficult symptoms I would wait to abandon a community you feel comfortable in. The info is still pertinent for you and your pain is not foreign to PSA. That’s my opinion anyway.

Of course, Rachael, we’d never send our friend Ladylazarus packing! As long as she behaves herself, LOL! We’re here to support eachother, and that is what we will do.

Thanks everyone, once again, for your support :)

Mataribot - the antiinflammatories seem to be working for now, my bloodwork that was all over the place last time I went in was normal this time. I'll be going to my rheumy again in June. But I guess there's still time until I will need DMARDS or biologics. I'm daring to hope maybe never? :)

Rachael - Thank you Rachael, I do not want to leave this community either. And who knows, maybe I will be rediagnosed in a couple of years with PsA. I'm not surprised that my doc wants to put aside the PsA diagnosis for the time being though, since I'm still not diagnosed with P. Even I have doubts about it. But hey, maybe in a couple of years docs will realize that it's not just psoriasis but a variety of skin conditions that can cause arthritis. Since so many people keep talking about having eczema and dermatitis and being surprised when diagnosed with PsA because they thought they didn't have it.

Seenie - I feel relieved too. Especially since I was really, really afraid of AS this whole time, and my doc told me repeatedly that I had nothing to be afraid of. It was reassuring. It's really interesting about the muscle relaxers. I just looked at the other muscle relaxers in my house (since I have plenty, jeez, how I managed these last couple of years before the antiinflammatory stopped my back spasms that sent me to the ER every single month is beyond me). Apparently, they are all used for different things, I thought they just relaxed your muscles :) The one I'm using now is called Parafon and its a Turkish brand. This is the first time I'm using it. I have another one called Sİrdalud which is really, really strong I only used it in emergency situations, and it seems to be used mainly for neurological problems. Then again, there's another one called Muscoflex, which also helped me A LOT in the past, and it says for rheumatic conditions such as RA and Lupus!!! So maybe next time you need a muscle relaxer, you should ask the pharmacist for something that will help with your specific problem. I'll definitely do that :D My right foot is still hurting, but as I said I'll give it a couple more days. And I've been sleeping really well for the last two nights, thank you very much :D

And thank you guys for not exiling me :) That was another relief, since I got so used to you guys...

Glad you have more answers and can move forward with your new information! And no, you cannot leave us. There are those of us here with PsA and AS, so you still fit right in! :) I'd type more, but my kids are sick of hearing me say ow, ow. ouch, ow as I type. LOL

Oh c’mon LL, we wouldn’t exile you. Speaking of exile, I still haven’t told the people on my pole dancers’ support board about my knee replacements.

ladylazarus said:

And thank you guys for not exiling me :slight_smile: That was another relief, since I got so used to you

Nym - I really appreciate you making the effort to write to me even though you are in pain Nym, thank you very much! :)

Seenie - Omg Seenie, you always manage to make me laugh!!! :D

By the way, this new treatment is turning out to be quite awesome! My head is much less fuzzy - even though I'm currently using muscle relaxers! So that's how bad it was. I think the sleep pill is helping with the brain fog. I wish I had accepted the treatment a long time ago. I even managed to work on my thesis today, after months of not understanding what I read. My right foot still achy, but I believe it'll be all right too. And I began exercising again today, yay me! :D

Yay, you indeed! I think we all know the feeling of being reluctant to accept treatment: part of it is reluctance to accept the diagnosis. But once you get your head around it, you really do improve your chances of making things better.

Glad I can still make you laugh. I just hope that tntlamb doesn’t suspend me for that comment.

Good for you! Glad it is working so well. Funny how when you find the right meds everything starts to just click. Hear’s to the bright side!

Omg Seenie why would tntlamb do such a thing :) you are the soul of this community :)

Thank you Rachael, I just hope it stays bright! :)

Now I’m trying to make both you and tntlamb laugh! Just the mere thought of Seenie trying to wrap her ample thighs and her prosthetic knees around a pole deserves to be censored. LOL

Rachael brings up a good point. When you find the right meds (and other therapy) everything does start to click. And then something else happens: you get compounding improvements. You sleep better so that you are less tired. That lets you be more active. Being more physically active reduces your pain. When you have less pain, you can pay attention to more interesting things in life. That distracts you from the pain you might still have … a wonderfully vicious circle!
Our mantra here is “Fear the disease, and not the drugs.” I often say that you need to go for the most aggressive therapy that your rheumatologist is willing to prescribe. That’s when good things really start to happen.

Yes I completely agree... I feel like I'm standing at the beginning of a long road, but at least now I can see the road. I never thought sleeping better would make such a big difference! I've been sleepless my entire life and it has been a serious issue since I was 17. Being a late night person was just a symptom of it. I don't go to bed because I know it will be hell! Waking up constantly and having weird dreams and waking up gasping and sweaty... It's just complete darkness now when I sleep, and I have only one dream per night, like any normal person could :D

So long story short... TAKE WHATEVER TREATMENT YOU DOCTOR SAYS YOU NEED... Don't be an ignorant and stubborn patient like me... And it was just some sleeping pills... I don't know what I was so stubborn about!

Hear hear, LL! Of course we’re stubborn! Been there, suffered that! Agreeing to a treatment is, at the same time, an admission that there’s a problem greater than you can tackle on your own. Nobody likes admitting that. Well, I don’t anyway.

I’m convinced that PsA, or the nasty inflammatory substances that are involved with it, caused a large part of my depression and insomnia. Have I seen much scientific evidence of that? Nope. But I keep expecting that one day somebody is going to publish a paper that validates my suspicion. Meanwhile, I like my own theory.

I had a sleepless night last night, and today I am weepy, ill-tempered and soooooo sore. Tonight I’m going to reach for my rescue remedy, which I rarely do. Tomorrow will be a better day.

I can only imagine what your rescue remedy must be, Seenie! Does it taste good? :-)

I hope it helped! I'm feeling guilty.....because I'm actually not feeling too bad today. Minor foot pain, but it seems to be slowly easing up.

LL, it's so good to hear how well things are going--or at least that now you're headed in a better direction!

We're having warmer weather this weekend--finally--well-deserved after a hard winter. I'm sure there'll be more winter for two more months, but hopefully, not as cold as it has been! I think that's why I'm in better spirits!

Hope you all are having a good weekend, too! Seenie, I hope Sunday will be better for you!

Heck no, GrandmaJ, tonight’s rescue remedy is a sleeping pill. Nope, that doesn’t taste good, but it’ll knock me out and I will feel better tomorrow. But I use them rarely: doc gave me a script for 30 last summer and I still have ten left!
Don’t get me started on rescue remedies that taste good. A VERY sore point with me. scowl

This is very interesting. I’ve just had my first appointment with my new Rhumy. He told me the same thing. He does not think I have PSA. Plus he said there is a new product on the market that has less side effects than most biologics. It’s in pill form. He told me the name, but I forgot. I see him real soon, so I’ll get the name.

Otezla?