Sjogren's syndrome

Yesterday I heard from my doctor saying along with the psoriatic arthritis I also have Sjogren's syndrome. It explains a lot of things, like stuffiness and clearing my throat for the last at least 10 years. Would not knowing for that long cause any damage to my body? I can't tell from what I've read. Also does anyone have a suggestions to help with the Sjogren's symptoms that will also help with the PsA? I was put on Vimovo as a start (only 2 weeks ago) and was now put on prednisone (yuck) for a few weeks until I have an appointment to discuss long term treatment- anything I need to know about the prednisone?

Hi there,

I don't know anything about the Vimovo but I've been on Prednisone for over a year. I'm not sure what dose you are on but the higher the dose, the more side effects you may have like weight gain, irritability, hair growth, and a hump on the back of your neck. If you have to lower the dose, you will need to do it slowly. I've been able to go from 10mg to 3 mg by going 1/2mg lower every 2 weeks. My Rheumy has been keeping me at 3 for some time now and I have no side effects at that low dose. If you are only on it for a short time, you should be fine but the longer you are on it, the harder is is to get off it (if you ever have to).

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info. I’m only supposed to be on it for 20 days and go from there. Why do you have to taper off? What is the prednisone helping with? As you can tell, I’m new to all this. Thanks again!

Prednisone is a steroid that reduces inflamation. Originally, I was diagnosed with Polymyalgia Rheumatica and prednisone is the drug of choice to treat that. My 2nd rheumy diagnosed me with PsA and started backing me off the prednisone as I started on a biologic. The way I understand it is that your adrenal glands produce steroids naturally and when you take them synthetically, the adrenals shut down. So, if you just stop the drug, you will have nothing in your system and the pain is excruciating. If you go slow, your adrenals start to wake up and produce the steroid on their own again. Some people are treated with a "steroid pak" that lasts about a week and tapers off in a short time so that is no problem. I don't know if 20 days is considered a short time or not. Like I said, I've been on it for more than a year so I definitely have to go slow.

How did your doctor diagnose Sjogren's? What were your symptoms?

I don’ t know if I like you answer or not-sounds scary. I went to the Dr for the first time with suspicions of PsA but had never heard of sjogrens. She asked me a whole bunch of questions. My symptoms appeared years ago, but I didn’t know. I have a constant stuffy nose, dry mouth and lips, gritty eyes and the worst is the dry cough and constantly clearing my throat (for at least 20 years). I never would have figured it out myself.

I was just diagnosed a few days ago with Sjogren's syndrome along my PSA. Again it is something I have had for years but just had not put it all together. I had just mentioned to my Rhemy that I was sooo thirsty at night but it did not quench my thirst i could just keep drinking. He then asked about my eyes, nose, etc... which i have had dry eyes for YEARS. Many eye infections, very dry eyes had tear testing which was basically nil and the duct plugs placed in my eyes (or whatever they call that) I am a contact lens wearing which or course made it worse. I use artificial tears for my eyes. My nose was sooo dry, nose bleeds that had to be cauterized many times, constant stuffy nose (even though it is dry), clearing throat with dry cough, and the dental problems. Just the classic syndrome. He just gave me a prescription for Sialor and went to pick it up and neither of my health plans would pay for it? Never had a drug denied before. I don't understand why? I cost 120.00 canadian for 40 days of pills. To much money for me! I was wondering what other treatments or meds people have tried that have helped? or if anyone has tried this and it had really helped? I had never heard of this and do not really know much about it, except for the things i had mentioned above. Is there more to this syndrome. I have not had the opportunity to read about it yet. I do not want to take Prednisone. My mother has been on it for years and has been a nightmare for her.