Since starting MTX I have more overall joint/tendon pain

I have a call into my rheumy as it seems like since starting the MTX my overall joint pain has increased. Especially when doing any activity. Today was my second day back to work on the ship and my feet and hands were burning in pain. I've never experienced burning pain in the bottoms of my feet. I talked to the doctor in regards and he figured it was the PSA and not the MTX. My husband told me to call the office in the city as we were told we could call anytime. She is calling me back this evening.

I had some really good days, even yesterday was good and then bang....it's back! Getting frustrated and a little afraid of what the future may hold for me. I am feeling that working on the ship may no longer work for me due to the vibration, being out in the wind and rain, handling tie up lines and climbing the minimum 30 flights of stairs daily.....

I get a lot of tendon pain despite being on a DMARD and biologic but when the biologic is working well I have a lot less. Are you on a biologic yet? What are your shoes like?

To be honest,TaraLynn, I’m guessing that if you stopped the MTX your pain would be the same or worse. I’m glad you’ve got that call in!
The term “burning pain” is one we see a lot here, and often in reference to feet. I know it well – it was that pain which led to my PsA diagnosis.
Just thinking about your doing that job with PsA makes me tired! But more power to you!
Let us know what the doc says when s/he calls back.

Hi Michael,

I'm currently taking 25mg of MTX weekly, just did this weeks injection about a half hour ago. I have to wear steel toed boots at work. I bought a new pair while I was off work because my other pairs were not very comfortable.

michael in vermont said:

I get a lot of tendon pain despite being on a DMARD and biologic but when the biologic is working well I have a lot less. Are you on a biologic yet? What are your shoes like?

Hi Seenie, My GP figured it is the PSA but I wanted to confirm with my rehumy as she told me to call her if I had any questions or if I needed to see her sooner. I see her every 3 months, so it's a span in between. She increased the does of my MTX last time I saw her but I am still having increased joint pain, in fact more then last time I saw her. The positive is I haven't had a flare that stopped me from completely functioning in a few months, the nausea has decreased a lot since switching to injections and the fatigue comes and goes, I believe it increases when joint pain increases so it may not be related to the MTX but more the PSA.

Seenie said:

To be honest,TaraLynn, I'm guessing that if you stopped the MTX your pain would be the same or worse. I'm glad you've got that call in!
The term "burning pain" is one we see a lot here, and often in reference to feet. I know it well -- it was that pain which led to my PsA diagnosis.
Just thinking about your doing that job with PsA makes me tired! But more power to you!
Let us know what the doc says when s/he calls back.

You have a great doc! I’m impressed that she got back to you. Hope you’re feeling better soon.

:-( she hasn't called yet Seenie. I'm heading to bed, exhausted and 3;40 am wake up is tough and I took my MTX tonight. Have't worked in a few months so tomorrow could be challenging however my crew is really amazing. I see my old GP Friday she is filling in for my current GP so if my rheumy doesn't call I will tough it out till then.

Take care and thank you!

Seenie said:

You have a great doc! I'm impressed that she got back to you. Hope you're feeling better soon.

FWIW we seem t hear a lot about ups and downs in pain levels. If you get time try to reconstruct your life the past few weeks. Pain is the last to go. It can wax and wane. The reason I say reconstruct your life although it would be best if you journaled is several years ago I was having bad day told My wife I quit ( and a few other things) at which point I bent over put on my shoes tied em up snd told my wife I was going down to the creek.

She started bawling (unusual for her) I felt about six inches high. It wasn't anything I said. It was the first time I had tied my own shoes in three years. I was so po'd at the pain, I almost missed it. Keep track of your function. You get it back first. Frankly thats what matters.

Good luck at work.

I hate the burning pain. I have it in my hands and feet. I have the grinding pain in hip. Well hopefully you get some relief! If you end up on biologic, to be careful with your PPP. Biologics are know for causing PPP flares, but not everyone has the issue.