SI joint

It is so very painful today,just took some painkillers & have the heating pad on it. Any other suggestions? Usually when it’s this bad my hip is bad too,but today it’s just the SI area :frowning: Good grief I could say some curse words right now!!

I found this seat called Back Joy that I use at work. It seemed to do wonders for me and now my SI joint doesn't hurt anymore. It took a few months but now I don't have any pain at all.

Here's a link. http://www.backjoy.com/backjoy/pages/product/detail.grid?ctcCategory=sit&pid=sit&nid=sit&id=BJCCAM-BL2

Thanks,I’ll take a look,forgot to mention I also have a SI joint belt that my PT recommended.

Hypo mobility can be the problem (usually is) You can stretch your way out usually.

I like the sway stretch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S24IJSKg2pE

You can also do a "towel treatment" Basically all you do is roll up 2 towels and put on on each side while laying on your back knees bent. just lay there. you can bounce a little if you want. This give you the forward flex (only way to get it.) When I say towel, that can be as small as a wash cloth..

These two together mimic "natural movement" SI flare is also a good time for TENS. It is also one of the few times heat is good (it always feels good but doesn't always do good) BUT as you get things relaxed yiou need to alternate some ice (yes I KNOW it hurts) to take the swelling down that also occurs. 10 - 15 minute for every hour or so of heat is plenty.

Anyway that works for me. Ask your PT of course........

i feel your pain. Ive been on the couch with the heat pad on high for 2 days now. I can even walk upright, i find myself leaning over my left leg when i walk. Its sore to the touch and soo stiff...still have 5 weeks till my next rhuemy app...

Thanks for providing the link - I'm going to order it. I'm having the same pain.

JacksonJ said:

I found this seat called Back Joy that I use at work. It seemed to do wonders for me and now my SI joint doesn't hurt anymore. It took a few months but now I don't have any pain at all.

Here's a link. http://www.backjoy.com/backjoy/pages/product/detail.grid?ctcCategor...

thanks for posting the instructions for the sway stretch. I'm confused about where to place the towels - under my low back area? 2 towels?

tntlamb said:

Hypo mobility can be the problem (usually is) You can stretch your way out usually.

I like the sway stretch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S24IJSKg2pE

You can also do a "towel treatment" Basically all you do is roll up 2 towels and put on on each side while laying on your back knees bent. just lay there. you can bounce a little if you want. This give you the forward flex (only way to get it.) When I say towel, that can be as small as a wash cloth..

These two together mimic "natural movement" SI flare is also a good time for TENS. It is also one of the few times heat is good (it always feels good but doesn't always do good) BUT as you get things relaxed yiou need to alternate some ice (yes I KNOW it hurts) to take the swelling down that also occurs. 10 - 15 minute for every hour or so of heat is plenty.

Anyway that works for me. Ask your PT of course........

One towel lengthwise on each side of the SI centered on the point of your hip to past the "crack"

Thanks - I watched the youtube video. Gonna try it now in my office (with door closed). Thanks for sharing your knowledge !

tntlamb said:

One towel lengthwise on each side of the SI centered on the point of your hip to past the "crack"

I have a foam roller that I've never used and was wondering today if it would help. You answered that question ! thanks !

The sway stretch helped. The only problem, was I didn't want to get up off the floor :-) I got so comfy.

Frances said:

Thanks - I watched the youtube video. Gonna try it now in my office (with door closed). Thanks for sharing your knowledge !

tntlamb said:

I understand that it takes awhile to get use to the foam roller and it can hurt - someone who doesn't have arthritis told me this. He said to start gently and work up to using it harder and harder. How did you learn to use it?

I just started PT for my hips, and yesterday they had my use the hard foam roller on my iliotibial band (outer thighs). I don't have fibromyalgia. It's all inflammation. I was supposed to roll on it for 2 minutes on each side. Between the position hurting my hands, and the really bad pain from my thighs, I think I made it to 30 seconds on each side.

Lovemydogs said:

Oh definately use it!! I roll it up and down my entire back. I also have major pain in my shoulder blades (even tho my dr says I dont have fibro) and it helps there too. But I cant use it on my hips and outer thighs...toooo sensitive!!...if those spots arent fibro...I dont know lol...
Frances said:

I have a foam roller that I've never used and was wondering today if it would help. You answered that question ! thanks !

I've been told it takes practice and time for your body to get use to the foam roller. My friend said he had to start with a few seconds and work up to more time.

Stoney said:

I just started PT for my hips, and yesterday they had my use the hard foam roller on my iliotibial band (outer thighs). I don't have fibromyalgia. It's all inflammation. I was supposed to roll on it for 2 minutes on each side. Between the position hurting my hands, and the really bad pain from my thighs, I think I made it to 30 seconds on each side.

Lovemydogs said:

Oh definately use it!! I roll it up and down my entire back. I also have major pain in my shoulder blades (even tho my dr says I dont have fibro) and it helps there too. But I cant use it on my hips and outer thighs...toooo sensitive!!...if those spots arent fibro...I dont know lol...
Frances said:

I live with Back Pain, 24x7, Its so bad certain days, I just struggle to do my everyday duty's