SI joint and buttock/hip pain

I searched for discussions about this and didn't find alot of information so I am posting this question.

I am wondering if there are any suggestions about this pain. I am often woken up due to a deep pain in my buttocks/hips that feels like it is in the femur/hip joint area. My guess is ligaments/tendons that are in that area but I am not sure. Usually I can't stay in bed due to the discomfort regardless of how tired I am. So far I have used a heating pad to help but would like any ideas that anyone may have.

You might try a pillow under your knees at night and try not to sleep on your side. A nice gel foam mattress tiopper helps make sure your wight ias evenly distributed along with a wedge pillow under your shoulders relieves some compression.. Actually what you are describing is one of the classic PsA symptoms. I'm not sure what your treatment plan involves, but USUALLY this is an area that responds pretty early on for women and less so for men. Its more common in younger women as that whole pelvic region undergoes some pretty dramatic changes. Some women have a discussion with their docs about child birth options as things can flare pretty badly (and stay bad for a while) with full labor

Thanks for the response...most of the info I find about PsA describes "low back pain" not the most specific description...this symptom was the first for me and has changed. I already have two children and found the doc's answer for my low back pain was a result of childbirth and that was the explaination for many years...What I have found is the pain has changed over the years and now feels like it is at the attachment of ligaments in the joint (deeper) as it feels better with stretching...but I dunno.. :)

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. :)

YES!! I know exactly what you are describing....I started to have a deep throbbing pain in the same area (right side) last August, which came on quickly and was constant....no position could alleviate it. At around the same time I started to have left achille tendon pain also. Went to my reumatologist and she explained to me that I was now also dealing with enthesitis...inflamation of the tendons/ligaments. The deep hip/buttock area and achilles has just started to slowly disappear. Has also affected my elbows, knees and back since then. I find that moist heat helps me the most....Into the bathtub with the help of my husband!!! Oh...i wish you well....I truly understand.

Heres a quick discussion

http://www.inspire.com/groups/talk-psoriasis/discussion/enthesitis-...

What Honey is talking about (deeper) is exactly it....

I have had this off and on over the years. My doc insisted it couldn't be my hip joints, because hip pain should be in the front, not where I described (upper buttock area, off to the side). I suspect like tntlamb said, it is a tendon issue. Possibly when my SI joint gets sore, it puts pressure on the whole area, but it doesn't feel like nerve pain, more like a deep pain.

Oh, and my doc insisted I just needed to to back exercises, though it really is not that area. I started doing some daily yoga poses that would stretch that whole SI / hip / buttock area (my sister was a yoga instructor, so she helped me choose), and that helps quite a bit when I get a flare up.

In the past 2 weeks I've had a resurgence of this issue, and realized it's been 2 weeks since I've been able to do my water exercise class. I think my class (in warm water) relaxes the whole area, and as I move it stretches and releases some of the tightness / swelling / etc. It feels better after class today.

I too suffer with this type pain. I have had xrays and mri of the lumbar spine, they only show that I am in stage 1 of stenosis and slipped disc. However, this pain is deep as you said and it is not the same kind of pain that is in the spine. I have done PT and while they were working on me 3 times a week it was feeling pretty good. Now that I don't have them to work on this area it is back with a vengence. Can't go to PT for the rest of my life. ...

I haven't had any PT but stretching helps...I was attending yoga classes and then was side tracked for awhile. I think some PT routine or stretching at home maybe the best thing for me. The only other intervention I have tried was massage and it was wonderful...expensive though so I guess I need to work on other solutions...Thanks for the response, I appreciate hearing what others have experienced. Makes me feel less crazy...:)

Alma said:

I too suffer with this type pain. I have had xrays and mri of the lumbar spine, they only show that I am in stage 1 of stenosis and slipped disc. However, this pain is deep as you said and it is not the same kind of pain that is in the spine. I have done PT and while they were working on me 3 times a week it was feeling pretty good. Now that I don't have them to work on this area it is back with a vengence. Can't go to PT for the rest of my life. ...

I have to sit in an awkward position due to this problem my self. I sleep in an awkward position as well. I never really thought about it, because I just sit and lay in the position that is most comfortable for me. Try rotating your hip in different positions to find the most comfortable one for you. Then try to find a way to get the rest of your body comfortable as well. It is not always a simple task.

Just read this post and if I understand it correctly if I increase my mtx it should helps with the discomfort. tntlamb said:

Heres a quick discussion

http://www.inspire.com/groups/talk-psoriasis/discussion/enthesitis-...

What Honey is talking about (deeper) is exactly it....

When I first started dealing with my PsA, I found yoga helpful at working my lower back/SI problems. And I would use click-heat bags for soothing relief, as they stay hot for longer.

I also took a bevy of medications, including 400mg daily Celebrex, to deal specifically with the back pain.

But I don’t take anything at all now that I’ve been on this juicing regime…I don’t have back pain anymore.