Self Preservation

So what do you all say to yourself in your lowest moments to feel stronger and cope with it until you this disease eases up and you can breath again? Inspirational thoughts that help you get through the bad times?

It is so very hard to to come up with positive thoughts when the pain is umbearable and you are tired of PsA and all that comes with it. My prayer is one word.....Remission. I also tell myself that there are many people who suffer for many reasons and have it worse off than I do. I am grateful that I can still move, albeit more slowly and stiffly than the general population Prayers and good thoughts for all who endure chronic physical and or emotional pain.

Simple........I pray. I call on the Lord & I pour my heart out.It gets me through when the pain over takes me & helps me find strength.

My usual thoughts are "It could be worse". Not sure that it's the greatest of attitudes, but it does help me get over things, instead of feeling sorry for myself, which clearly is not helpful. When I was in my 20's I had back surgery and wound up in chronic pain, and a bad limp, until I had a second surgery and started fresh again. I was feeling really sorry for myself, until I got that realization, that it could be worse. That really helped out quite a bit. Yes I was in pain, but I could still get around. I could still use my leg, even with nerve damage and pain. You get the idea.

I start thinking about the beach!

ME TOO... In my darkest moments.. I look at my neighbor's 15 yr old son who is battling Brain cancer..

Stoney said:

My usual thoughts are "It could be worse". Not sure that it's the greatest of attitudes, but it does help me get over things, instead of feeling sorry for myself, which clearly is not helpful. When I was in my 20's I had back surgery and wound up in chronic pain, and a bad limp, until I had a second surgery and started fresh again. I was feeling really sorry for myself, until I got that realization, that it could be worse. That really helped out quite a bit. Yes I was in pain, but I could still get around. I could still use my leg, even with nerve damage and pain. You get the idea.

One of my son's friends father just died yesterday from ALS. Guys that is a terrible disease. Yes, we could be a lot worse.

When I'm at my worst I focus on small things I really enjoy. My pets. Reading a good book. Watching a movie with my husband on the sofa. Talking with friends on the phone. All things that are wonderful that I can enjoy even without being able to move. It keeps me focused on the fact that no matter how bad it gets, there will always be things that I really enjoy.

My husband left for Iraq on September 30, 2004. He returned home, mostly healthy, on November 10, 2005. I was on the tarmac in Wisconsin to meet him. We are both forever changed by the experience. In the seven years since, when the bad times come--including this idiot disease--one or both of us will say "It ain't Mosul."

Here recently, I've been trying to remember to give thanks for the many blessings I've been given.

Hi there… The standard thought is that “it could always be worse”. This is true but we can also look at a healthy 80 year old and feel that we’re getting ripped off. Life is strange… who knows why “bad things happen to good people”. I believe in a higher power and although i don’t understand His logic I do trust that He knows best. This makes it easy for me to accept the things in my life that stink! Hope you have many Moore good days than bad in 2013… hang in there!

I take things easy and only do what is absolutely necessary. I try and be kind to myself and even pamper myself. It is not easy but I try and accept this is the way it is going to be for a while so make the most of what I can. I try and get pleasure and enjoyment from what I can do and not focus on what I can't do. I prepare for the bad days and I keep a good stock of cooked meals in the freezer. Plenty of dvd's to watch a good supply of books to read and if I am up to it I paint and if I can't focus I paint an abstract painting or I work on craft projects that I can manage sitting down..

Taking my mind off my pain helps when I get absorbed in doing something I enjoy. I try the someone else is worse off than me and that doesn't always work as it doesn't make my pain feel any better. I find that works better when I am in a better frame of mind.

I get my my Remacaid infusions for my PsA at the hospital's Oncology Center. I may be in a lot of pain at times but I am not going to die from this. I think of my sister Caitlan, who did survive cancer. She is about to finish medical school. It gives me great hope for my future. Gives me inspiration that I can manage this and will get to spend time with my sister. You will be okay Gimpsalot.

I tell myself that today was crappy but tomorrow is a new day and it'll be better. I celebrate the good days and know that the bad ones won't last forever (although the certainly feel like they will).I always try to give myself something to look forward to. Going out to dinner with my hubby, sitting on the deck sipping ice water, skyping with my brother and his family in Australia. Each event is probably nothing to most people but to me it's a reason to look ahead.

I read this online support group to remind me that I am not alone as I start my second year with this! More specifically, I curl up on the couch and watch movies and sometimes touch base with friends and remind myself not to whine in our conversation! I do not sit still well but am slowly learning this is the gift to manage this disease.

“When it rains it pours. Maybe the art of life is to convert tough times to great experiences: we can choose to hate the rain or dance in it.” ~Joan Marques

I came across that quote a few days ago and it worked with a blog post I'd started months and months ago ... so I finished the blog post - you can read it here: http://rannygahoots.blogspot.com/2013/01/dancing-in-rain.html .

For me, it's a matter of perspective. I can be in pain, exhausted, and miserable, or I can be in pain, exhausted, and happy. I choose to invite joy into my life. I choose to live with Psoriatic Arthritis instead of fighting it. I definitely still have my moments when I just want to scream and cry, though!!!

Hi Gimpsalot,

I use humor to assist me.

Watch comedies on DVD (Zoolander is hilarious); if you have pets, then lie down and pat them; read a book; sometimes setting yourself a goal such as reading one book per month and following this through, makes you realise you are still achieving goals even though you are unwell - keeps your self-esteem up; a hot shower and applying nice creams, burning incense and then taking a nap; jumping onto Pinterest online is always a favourite one for me also.