Second Opinion Was Worth the Time

Went to Washington University-St. Louis on Thursday for a second opinion. My uveitis had returned while I was on Enbrel. I also have elevated liver enzymes. My exam was outstanding and meticulous. My diagnosis has been updated to be PsA and Spondylolysis. My medication was changed from Enbrel to Humira, meloxicam and sulfasalazine. In two days I have relief in both my feet and lower back–amazing. I was also told to give this combo a good three months until I feel the real effects. Again, each patient and medications are different, but I wanted to share this with everyone. If you are not happy seek a second opinion. There is hope.

So glad your second opinion was worth the effort - it sounds like you’re doing better already! Thanks for sharing the good news! :slight_smile:

Doug, glad to hear the second opinion turned out to be beneficial. It’s amazing what a tweak in medications can do. I hope you continue to get good relief!

Hi Doug, Such fast initial results, how wonderful for you! I hope every day gets better and better.

Great result for you Doug.

I saw my doc yesterday and told him I was experiencing increasing pain and he has changed my medication from Enbrel to Humira. I hope the promised improvement is as fast as yours.

Hamishhead I hope the change works for you. I am not sure if the Humira could work that fast for my improvement, but I do think it was the drug cocktail that helped. The biggest reason for the change from Enbrel to Humira is that the new research is showing better results with Humira for those with Uveitis. I think each person is different and one of the keys is keeping a diary/notes and reading your body and keeping your doctor informed. My new doc gave me one of the most detailed examinations ever and then has followed it up with a phone call and emails to check in with me to see how I was doing. She has tweaked the drug cocktail with the sulfasalazine and will change the meloxicam to naproxen. Good luck to you and hope your change in meds work.

hamishhead said:

I saw my doc yesterday and told him I was experiencing increasing pain and he has changed my medication from Enbrel to Humira. I hope the promised improvement is as fast as yours.

Wow, how wonderful to find a doctor who is thorough AND follows up with her patients! This is a gift from the gods. I’m so happy that you have found this doctor and that she is concerned that her recommendations are actually giving you the relief you need. Good goin’!