Saying Goodbye to Methotrexate

OK so I am on my 6th week of taking 15mg (6 pills) of Methotrexate and "bam" it (the drug) hit me with a vengeance.

I look like I have spent a fortune on puffing out my upper lip to create the perfect "pout".. unfortunately it is just a swollen lip full of ulcers - which wouldn't be so bad if it was the only side effect. After all, it is the perfect excuse to replace all healthy foods with cooling bowls of Tip Top Ice cream.

But it is the overall side effects of a fuzzy, dementia-like head, feeling of aches and pains from top to toe and sleepless, restlessness and sore spots on my skin. Oh, did I mention nausea?

I can, however, advise that my dread of the side effect of "hair loss" has not yet appeared in the short six weeks - so that is a cause for celebration.

Now, talking about celebration. I just called my Dermatologist Doctor's office to enquire if I can drink (alcohol) again now that my GP has advised that I discontinue the drug due to the side effects. After all it is Christmas in a couple of days and there is New Year to think about.

After a quick talk with "the Doctor" the office advised that the drug doesn't take long to leave the body and that - YES I can have a glass of wine with my Xmas Dinner. (I was actually thinking of doing a small drowning in Champagne.. but I only heard the "yes" anyway.

So, I am hopeful that now I have failed the Methotrexate test I will be moved forward to Enbrel or some other drug that might have a better result in erasing my psoriasis landscape and reducing my PsA symptoms.

I read it takes 72 hours for Methotrexate to leave the body.. I have just popped the bottle in the fridge.. should be cool enough by then.

I didn’t have any good impact from MTX either, but that was after six months. What you are describing sounds like you weren’t taking enough folate! That said, if it gets you closer to a biological, maybe it isn’t such a bad thing.

Just a heads up thought, biologics are often given with MTX or another DMARDS in order to increase efficacy. I wound up doing fairly well on leflunomide (Arava).

I had mouth sores with methotrexate until I was on 5mg of folic acid and leucovorin calcium on the day after the dose. I inject it, too, which is supposed to help a great deal with nausea and other GI side effects. It's not a fun medication, but it's pretty effective for peripheral involvement.

Hi, dear one,

would Acyclovir help? I know that the biologics make me more susceptible to horrific cold sore outbreaks on my lips, and my rheumy gives me an Rx for 1 gram pills, so when I feel a little tingle or pain I take one every day for about four or five days, or if one starts to show up it prevents it from opening up. Am I way off base? I wish I would have known about antivirals YEARS ago.

Hi Sophia,

I did a little research and found out that I actually have a swollen upper lip that is caused by an allergic reaction (hives or angioedema) It is not a cold sore. My GP said to stop taking MTX as it is obviously the drug that caused the allergic reaction. However, I still have the swollen lip - but it does seem to be getting a little better.. I am surprised that I am still experiencing the allergic reaction when my last dose of MTX was a couple of weeks ago. I guess it does take longer than 72 hours to leave my system. Thanks so much for the advise .... But you are right... I have had a cold sore on my lip in the past and have taken an antiviral for it...