Rib pain!

Sorry for typos and missing words that will be my dyspraxia at play!!

I hear you about the concern about genetics. That said, for most people the disease is manageable.

My husband and I both have psoriatic arthritis. His mom has psoriasis. My mom has (diagnosed much later in life) psoriatic arthritis. There’s a strong family tendency. My 15 year old is already being seen by a rheumy for joint swelling, tendon pain, etc. Sound familiar? Honestly, I’ve started to tell her that she needs to ask any potential boyfriends about family history of a few different things. It’s too late for her. There’s nothing I can do to change her genetics, etc. But I can be proactive and make certain that she is receiving any treatment that is required for her, and that she is seeing an excellent pediatric rheumy. That’s it. Feeling bad about it doesn’t really get me anywhere.

1 Like

I think your rheumy may have been having a bit of a bad day. The meds have been the answer for me. I know they don’t cure the disease (although there have been some members who have experienced fairly long-lasting periods of remission) but personally I often feel as good as cured! The only good thing about PsA is that there are drugs which are potentially very effective. My rheumy used to say that remission was the aim, he made no bones about that (no pun intended). And I have often been told that I am ‘close to remission’.

And again, in the same vein, not necessarily! I wanted the drugs from the off. Getting that first bag of steroids and Methotrexate while sitting in a wheel chair after having my knees drained wasn’t exactly a high point in my existence. But I rarely think about them these days. I can understand that you might not want to be too Pollyana-ish, because it is a long journey that is different for everyone, but I think you can reasonably afford a bit more optimism.

I’m not religious, but I know going to church can help people who are feel better. Did you know there are online churches you can attend? I know it’s not the same but it’s a good middle option when going to church hurts too much…

I’m not sure where exactly they are but I’m sure Google can help with that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I do attend my local Methodist church on Sunday’s service when I can.

I never knew about online churches?

I will google this and see what pops up!!

Thank you so much for this.

regards
Nikki

2 Likes

Has been a while and so I thought I would check back in and comment again on this - not least because I’ve still found no definite answer to it. Things are going ok for me physically. I’ve been on the Benepali over a year, and it’s still working - and I’ve even bought one of those small pedal exercise machines that you can use for your arms and legs in an effort to get a bit of strength back. I wouldn’t have been able to do that before the biologic.

But the chest/armpit ache continues. Every so often I become obsessed that there must be swollen lymph nodes or something with the armpit pain, but I never find them if there are, and i think I would have found them by now. But it is more often than not the same kind of weird ache that so many of us get in the centre of our chests. Rheumy says that is most likely costo, but she says that you wouldn’t get that in the ribs under your arms. To be honest, I’m getting to the stage when I don’t believe her!

Lovely to hear from you Darinfan. I get weird chest pain in my ribs but just never on my sternum, I put all the instances down to costo (as I’m clear it’s not cardiac) and am of the belief the costo definition needs serious updating. Your ribs go under your armpits, your ribs need to move as you breath, ergo PsA loves to find any niche it can and yours happens to be in your armpit. Mine tends to lower down but in a straight line from my armpit usually though not always on my right side.

Benepali appears to be finally doing its stuff for me after 5 months, and few bumpy rides along the way. Biologics are certainly a game changer, aren’t they? Are you still singing? I hope so.

Yep. Definitely a game changer. The first six months were difficult for me, too,with dodgy bloods and various bugs, but not even a cold yet this winter. Famous last words!!! Glad the bio is working for you too!

1 Like

Good news on the meds BTW one of the most effective Costo “home” treatments for us DIY rheumatologists is a cold pack in back and a hot back in front and the alternate them (about 10-20 minute each way) Also a good cardiologist will do costal injections…

3 Likes

I have had odd rib pain for years, not in the sternum area, more along the bottom of my ribs on my right side. More like discomfort than pain to be honest and as I have had it for so long, got used to it over the years.

Its been investigated before and nothing was ever found, however recently I had an abdominal ultrasound just to recheck everything. Nothing sinister but it was noted that I had a fatty liver and when I went to discuss the results with my GP, he said there is some suggestion that a fatty liver can cause discomfort in that area and he thinks that probably that is the cause of my discomfort.

Was happy and annoyed at the same time lol, pleased to finally find out what the discomfort likely was but annoyed at having a tubby liver lol. I’m a little overweight but only a bit, however my GP also said that recent research also shows people with Psoriatic Arthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis and Psoriasis are probably more prone to getting fatty liver.

GP has suggested more exercise will likely help as well as bit of weight loss and will arrange a follow up ultrasound in a year to follow up. Blurgh lol.

They thought I had fatty liver at one point four or five years ago, but I had the ultrasound and all was fine. There was a particular blood test that was quite high, which I notice doesn’t seem to get done anymore with regular bloods, but it was put down to meds in the end. My other liver results have gone back to normal since I’ve been on biologics, which have had the knock-on effects of reducing inflammation and getting rid of anaemia. My understanding, though, is that you fatty liver isn’t necessary linked to diet or size!

I get a lot of rib pain, mostly on the right, I’ve not yet mentioned it to my doctor, I’m not sure if it’s related to the PsA or if it’s because there is a staple from my gallbladder removal in the same area (or both) I’m considering asking my doc if it can be removed easily in the hopes it will help, but would be annoying to go through surgery only to find out it’s the arthritis, lol.

1 Like

It most probably is related to the arthritis, as you can see.

1 Like

I’ve tried several things for my costochronitis: cold pack, warm pack, TENS machine and ibuprofen gel. They all help to some extent, but only temporarily. I am planning to switch from sulfasalazine to methotrexate, so I hope that helps!

Yes good luck I do remember getting some relief from mtx for enthesitis but cannot specifically remember if it helped the ribs. I did find very small dose of prednisole
helped as a short term thing.

I haven’t looked back over everything in this looooong thread. But just saying, my rib pain is bad right now. Particularly tender from just below my armpit to my left breast. Consequently I keep prodding myself for reassurance that it’s not the breast that’s hurting & there are no lumps.

This is constant, every day for years now but usually at background level. Much of my rib cage at the front, and to a lesser extent at the back on that left side, is tender to the touch as if I’ve been punched. Getting a bit cheesed off with this!

Otherwise I’m fine. So, no biggie in the scheme of things but oh boy, this really lasts.

Yes it is bothersome. There is a lot of connective tissue in the area that can be really sore and hurts. My doctor said it was not unusual. I was fortunate in that it passed but it took a long time and I was miserable. It will come back i figure but it could be that it passes.

Rheumy appointment yesterday confirmed that my rib pain is costochondritis. The nurse pressed on my sternum, quite high up and OUCH! I didn’t know it hurt there till she did that. Both she and my rheumy also confirmed that it is normal to feel the pain in the breast area i.e. as if it is coming from the soft tissue as well as from the ribs, but it isn’t.

As I’ve read here in the past (I think) they told me that costochondritis is difficult to calm with the main drugs we take but may be helped by NSAIDs. Don’t usually take the things but I will do for a while.

2 Likes

Great information regarding an issue that seems to get mentioned some. Thank you for sharing. I have had rib soreness/pain for some time. What is so odd is that it comes and goes although the normal spots are persistent. I can identify no rhyme or reason for this. When it does occur it is usually in stretches. Does that occur for you? My back area lower mid is always an issue there and then you add the other rib chest thing it becomes troublesome. Although the ribs are not the only thing to come and go. I suspect it is always angry and there is a point where pain and/or swelling is perceived as different or noticed.

Hi Woodworm.

Your experience sounds exactly the same as mine, the rib area has been tender for years. Some things make it actually hurt e.g. husband helped me off a chair I was standing on, I landed clumsily and the rescue bear hug brought tears to my eyes. Otherwise it’s mostly nagging tenderness.

Over the last few weeks the tenderness has become pain even without pressure on the area. I thought I was doing okay in general but there’s a bit of knee swelling too, more foot pain, all on the left side so it seems I’m having a bit of a flare and the costochondritis has worsened accordingly.

Rheumy also mentioned posture as a factor that exacerbates it. Mine is okay or so I like to think, but as she spoke I realised I was hunched up, tilting to the left. Stands to reason that compressing the area would increase pain so I’m trying to straighten up, to open up the chest area.

I reckon this is just something that some of us have to live with, but hopefully can minimise. If you’re anything like me you’ll feel better knowing what’s going on … once such things are out in the open, named & shamed & tackled I tend to be a lot happier unless we’re talking severe pain or impact on function.

2 Likes