Rebuilding Stamina - How to?

Hi All,

Yesterday I spent two hours in the park with my kids at a childs birthday party. When we got home I was wiped! SO tired I could barely move.

I cannot satnd this. I used to be an active person.

How do I rebuild mt stamina. I want to be able to do things with my family without the fear of not being able to cope.

I have two kids, I have been diagnosed for 8 years and on Simponi for 10 months. While I feel better now than I have in a long time, I am still finding it hard to keep up with my kids and house and husband.

I have a rhuemy appt on Wednesday. Hopefully he can help me address these issues.

There is a song "I'm so tired of waking up tired." That is how I feel today.

I feel like I am rambling. Anyway, any hints/tips to help me get back my stamina would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Louise

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, too, Louise! Now that my joints are happier (I still have a TON of pain, but lots more mobility and more energy), I'd like to be more active, but getting there is a challenge!

One thing that's helped my energy levels is vitamin b6, b12 and d supplementation.

My plan right now is to increase activity little by little - and decrease cane and wheelchair use a lot! For me, I think routine is key. I'm hoping to do some form of walking each morning, whether it be just running errands or going for a walk somewhere. I'm going to do one outing other than homeschool co-op with my five kids (plus however many other kids are with me that day) each week, and then increase that to two, then three outings a week. Even if it's just a trip to the park or library, getting out of the house and moving is always beneficial to me.

I'm also going to try to increase sleep/rest. I'm going to go to bed earlier and make sure I have a full hour of downtime every afternoon.

I look forward to reading others' suggestions!!! :)

It is very difficult. I sometimes take short naps during the day for only 30 minutes. That helps....sometimes. Try not to do what you use to. I do not think I will ever be able to do things like I did before. Instead I do things in small blocks at a time.Also have you had your thyroid checked out?

I don’t want to sound like a health food nut, because trust me I’m not; I had children before a green vegetable passed my lips and when the president said he wouldn’t eat broccoli, I figured I was off the hook. Anyway diet seems to make a big difference. For some reason folks with auto-immune don’t do well with startches and carbs a fair number don’t do well with gluten either. . . . In any event gluten effects the thyroid ( in everyone) and carbs do strange things to the glycimic index. Both increas fatigue (in everyone) With our disease every little bit helps. TRY cutting the startches, glutens, and carbs ( they are pretty much the same thing) and see how that does. Either a diabetic approach or Atkins ( less than 200 mg) It helps a lot of us.

If nothing else with most of our lack of activity and subsequent weight gain you may avoid a diseas that is worse. At least this one won’ t kill you, . .

Great point, tntlamb!

I wish there was more I could do diet-wise, but I have celiac and don't eat gluten, and pre-diabetes and limit carbs. I eat incredibly healthy, rarely eating processed foods, never eating hfcs, trans fats, hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated oils, food dyes, etc. We eat mostly organic produce and limit the amount of meat we consume (and then it's humanely treated meat). I have hypothyroidism, treated with levothyroxine - and my thyroid hormone levels and TSH levels are good now.

Today was a particularly bad day. I got five kids up, fed, bathed, dressed and to church. By the time we got home from church it was all I could do to fix myself a little food before collapsing in bed. Ugh.

Thanks for the tips.

I really appreciate it. :)

I 've learned to love dust, to wear clothes more than once, to sleep in an unmade bed, that supper can be out of a can or box. it's pretty tough when you have small children, but they too can pitch in and help. Iv'e learned to pick and choose what I want to do. Today I spent at least 3 hours in bed before I had a bath to get ready to go out at 4:30. I did a load of laundry first thing and brekkie for hubby was sugar crisp.(mine was cottage cheese and berries LoL) dishes and that's all. Just so I can go out tonight and not fade away early. Tomorrow I may do better like vacumn and wash floors. I work at not getting overtired or else all hell breaks loose. I don't know if this is any help but it comes down to whats important to me for the day and every day is different. Easy for me to say, I don't have small children and when my very young grandkids come over I hire a house keeper, my mother prepares a couple of suppers for me and my husband helps with round up. Plus we have lots of Auntis who will help. Uncles too. I am lucky that way. I never used to ask for help, now I do . Not all the time but always when I need it.