Question for medical professionals here (since I can't seem to get hold of my doctor)

I take CPM (chlorpheniramine) every day twice a day for allergies. But today I got attacked by some kind of mysterious insect that has raised horrific, painful welts on my left shoulder and neck. Hubby took a look at it and is sure that the lumpiness from the bites is an allergic reaction. Logic dictates that the CPM should take care of it because it is an antihistamine, but it isn't. I'd like to figure out something to do for this (other than the topical hydrocortisone treatment and the baking soda poultice I've already tried) at least until I can talk with my doctor. Would there be any benefit whatsoever in adding a couple of benadryl? I know they are both antihistamines, but since they are somewhat different chemically, I thought maybe they could piggyback and work? Or am I just being a crazy person, and mixing the two is just a really bad idea? Help?

Thanks, guys!

I think mixing the two might be a bad idea. I would take a benadryl 50 mg at bedtime and see how it looks tomorrow. You could then take CPM in the morning just not the two together. Or you could ask the pharmacist. They know everything about medications.

In this type ofsituation, I would personally let the first antihistamine wear off and try benadryl or something similar. A call to the pharmacist if you have questions about drug interactions is usually quick and easy.

You can also tKe Pepcid which is and h2 blocker.

Thanks for the suggestions. I talked with the pharmacist, and he recommended a course of action.