Psoriatic Arthritis and Other Diagnosis

Thanks again. I'll definitely check out the one you suggested when I go to CVS this weekend.

GrumpyCat said:

Again, I had similar issues. I needed up getting a weekly pill box with 4 compartments for each day. I used it a lot to help keep things straight. There was just to much to remember. It helped a ton. I don't need it as much now, since things have evened out a bit. The best box I found was at Cvs. It has big compartments that are easy to fit uncoordinated fingers into and has a button to press to open each compartment. I found several that were broken in the packages, so open the package first to make sure that everything is in working order before buying.

Techmomof2 said:

Hi GrumpyCat, I agree that the meds are helping. This issue is it is so hard to remember which ones I've taken. Some are three times a day, others are twice a day, once a week, take with food, take without food, etc... I'm sure I will eventually get used to when to take what. Thank you very much for the advice.

GrumpyCat said:

What has helped me find peace with my meds and the volume of them has mainly been time. There was a time when it seemed like we were adding a new drug at every visit and it was pretty overwhelming. But as things went on, I began to really appreciate the positive changes my meds make in my life, and I am now glad to have them to take. They help me get closer to a more normal me, and that's a good thing.

It certainly seems pretty common to have multiple diagnoses with any autoimmune disease. We are more susceptible to other autoimmune conditions, and there are quite a few people carrying around multiple labels. The good thing is that a lot of the treatments are the same, so even though you have more labels, it doesn't necessarily mean more meds or different treatment plans.

This whole thing gets easier and more stable as time goes on. One of the toughest things is learning to be patient!

I asked my pharmacist to blister pack my meds for me yesterday because I have so many and it is definitely getting impossible even with a compartmented pill box. New doc added another one yesterday.This is a service most pharmacies offer and it is so awesome. You get a blister pack of all your meds marked for each day and time. You just pop the blister with the correct day and time stamp and take the handful. Like a giant pill box that you do not have to fill. They do it for free!!!!! All you have to do is ask :)

If I don't have to think about whether or not I took this particular med at this time I can think of the more important things in life. Like... where did I leave my cell phone! Hope this helps you guys I know it is soooo hard to deal with all of this let alone medicine issues.

Techmom,

I too find it challenging to juggle all the meds. Both GrumpyCat and crazylady have offered great suggestions.

One thing I would add that has really helped me is a phone app that tracks medications and gives reminders. I use an android app called Med Help. It tracks all my medication to include pharmacies, doctors, rx number, inventory, refills. You can log notes, track vitals. It logs both regular doses and as-needed medications. You can use as many or as few of the features as you wish. I am sure there are similar apps for iPhone.

I know it can be overwhelming and even frightening at times, but with time a lot of it becomes more manageable. And this community is an amazing resource. Lots of great folks willing to share the benefits of their experience.

Hang in there. I wish you well in the new year!

I have PsA and Fibro. The way I know I was correctly diagnosed with Fibro is that the meds I take work. I'm not sure how long you have been on Gabapentin, but hopefully it is helping with your pain.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO SHAME in having fibro. I am not embarrassed that I have it and am happy my rheumy figured it out so I could treat the pain. There are other people here who also suffer from it. No one should minimize fibromyalgia, nor make it out to be a "crazy person" problem. We are not drug seekers or hypochondriacs-in fact I rarely take a narcotic. We are just the unlucky ones cursed to deal with misfiring neurotransmitters and the widespread pain they cause.

There is an awesome fibro site on Ben's Friends with wonderful people-please check it out.

I take almost the same meds you do. It takes a while, but you will get use to the doses. If you stay the course and give the meds time to work you should start feeling a difference.

I know all of this is scary-I was scared too, and mad, and all the other emotions we all go through when dealing with these diseases. But I try to look at it as positive as I can. Now that you have been diagnosed, you can start treating the disease and feeling better. If you need to talk, please feel free to PM me.

Hugs!!

I've been on Gabapentin for a little over a month. Some of the issues like burning and tingling in my legs has subsided. However, I still have what I would call muscle pain. It's not actually where the joints are, but around the joints areas. Hopefully I will begin to see more results as I continue taking the medications.

Thank you very much for your kind words and the encouragement. I will check out the fibro site as well.

That's fantastic that some of your burning and tingling have subsided. Sometimes that can be as bad/worse than the joint pain. I know when I started Gabapentin it was at the lowest dose. My doc had me call every 2 weeks with an update and upped my dosage accordingly. It's one of those meds that you have to find the right dose that works for you. I did end up switching to Lyrica because Gabapentin was making me extra "foggy". So far, so good with Lyrica.

I know it's hard to differentiate when you have the joint and surrounding areas hurting/swelling. I've actually posed the question before if anyone's been able to tell between the two. Basically it came down to when one acts up so does the other. I think PsA aggravates FM and vice versa. We have a subgroup through the fibro board for people with autoimmune disease and fibro. It's a great soundboard for people who suffer with both.

Glad to hear you're making some progress!!

I've had fibro for 4 years now. There is no blood test for it (at least in the US). They are working on it though

I take 100mg capsules of Gabapentin 3 times a day. My Rheumy had me start by only taking 1 capsule a day for the first three days, twice a day for the next three days and finally the full dosage - 3 times a day. So far so good...I haven't had any noticeable issues yet. I'm glad Lyrica is working for you. Both of my parents take Lyria and seem to be doing well on it.

I find that it is really hard to tell what is hurting, unless I touch the area and realize that it's not my joint that hurts (at the time) but the surrounding muscle/tissue that actually hurts.

Sue33 said:

That's fantastic that some of your burning and tingling have subsided. Sometimes that can be as bad/worse than the joint pain. I know when I started Gabapentin it was at the lowest dose. My doc had me call every 2 weeks with an update and upped my dosage accordingly. It's one of those meds that you have to find the right dose that works for you. I did end up switching to Lyrica because Gabapentin was making me extra "foggy". So far, so good with Lyrica.

I know it's hard to differentiate when you have the joint and surrounding areas hurting/swelling. I've actually posed the question before if anyone's been able to tell between the two. Basically it came down to when one acts up so does the other. I think PsA aggravates FM and vice versa. We have a subgroup through the fibro board for people with autoimmune disease and fibro. It's a great soundboard for people who suffer with both.

Hi Sue, your information is appreciated! I wondered, although I’m sure that you already said it, but I can’t seem to find it, the Fibro group w/ the subgroup for auto immune…Where can I findit? Thanks again, so much, and I’m glad it sounds like you all are doing a bit better! Kris

Sue33 said:

That’s fantastic that some of your burning and tingling have subsided. Sometimes that can be as bad/worse than the joint pain. I know when I started Gabapentin it was at the lowest dose. My doc had me call every 2 weeks with an update and upped my dosage accordingly. It’s one of those meds that you have to find the right dose that works for you. I did end up switching to Lyrica because Gabapentin was making me extra “foggy”. So far, so good with Lyrica.

I know it’s hard to differentiate when you have the joint and surrounding areas hurting/swelling. I’ve actually posed the question before if anyone’s been able to tell between the two. Basically it came down to when one acts up so does the other. I think PsA aggravates FM and vice versa. We have a subgroup through the fibro board for people with autoimmune disease and fibro. It’s a great soundboard for people who suffer with both.

Glad to hear you’re making some progress!!

When you are on the main screen you can find it under groups :)

4hooves4me said:

Hi Sue, your information is appreciated! I wondered, although I'm sure that you already said it, but I can't seem to find it, the Fibro group w/ the subgroup for auto immune...Where can I findit? Thanks again, so much, and I'm glad it sounds like you all are doing a bit better! Kris

Sue33 said:

Thank you, Sue, I found it! I thought I had looked at the topics before, must’ve just missed it…I appreciate the help!

Sue33 said:

When you are on the main screen you can find it under groups :slight_smile:

4hooves4me said:

Hi Sue, your information is appreciated! I wondered, although I’m sure that you already said it, but I can’t seem to find it, the Fibro group w/ the subgroup for auto immune…Where can I findit? Thanks again, so much, and I’m glad it sounds like you all are doing a bit better! Kris

Sue33 said:

That’s fantastic that some of your burning and tingling have subsided. Sometimes that can be as bad/worse than the joint pain. I know when I started Gabapentin it was at the lowest dose. My doc had me call every 2 weeks with an update and upped my dosage accordingly. It’s one of those meds that you have to find the right dose that works for you. I did end up switching to Lyrica because Gabapentin was making me extra “foggy”. So far, so good with Lyrica.

I know it’s hard to differentiate when you have the joint and surrounding areas hurting/swelling. I’ve actually posed the question before if anyone’s been able to tell between the two. Basically it came down to when one acts up so does the other. I think PsA aggravates FM and vice versa. We have a subgroup through the fibro board for people with autoimmune disease and fibro. It’s a great soundboard for people who suffer with both.

Glad to hear you’re making some progress!!