Help

I just wanted to know if anyone out there has a combination of psoriatic arthritist and any other disease that is in the same family group. My doctor wants to do more test to see if i have a combination of any disease. You see I didn't have a great new years i was in so much pain on my hip and i was in tears as i walk. I hope someone out there can help me.

There are many on this site with more than PSA. I know they will comment and help you out. I am in the beginning stages of diagnosis and similar to you the doctor is thinking I may also have fibromyalgia, which from what I see isn’t uncommon. Good luck in your search and I hope you find relief.

It's fairly common for someone who has one autoimmune disease to have another as well.

I have psoriatic arthritis / spondylitis (or possibly mutilans and ankylosing spondylitis - my rheumy is trying to figure this out!), celiac, hypothyroidism, undiagnosed liver issues that are most likely autoimmune in nature, possible kidney issues, and possibly fibromyalgia.

Like Nym said, it's very common to have comorbid autoimmune conditions. I know more people with multiple diagnoses than with a single autoimmune diagnoses. Two people in my autoimmune disease support group have both Lupus and RA. Fibromyalgia and CFIDS is another common coupling, etc.

It is not easy to diagnose other symptoms or to be sure if they are related to PsA or the result of having it or causing it. Even though many of us have similar health problems.There is not enough reseach evidence to proove many of these similarities are related even though they may well be.

Western medicine seems to prefer to put different ailments into different categories and keep them separate and don't always connect the dots. It took me a while to not to get too concerned over the diagnoses and focus on my treatment as so often the same meds are used for similar symptoms.

For example it is hard to work out if the diagnoses of Tendonitis or Bursitiis is Enthesitis and recognised as a something that is related to having PsA. There are many of us with different types of skin Psoriasis,Thyroid problems, Fibro, Planter Faciitis, problems with hips back and tailbone, ribs and chest and the list goes on. Everyone is individual and different even though we have similarities.

Psoriatic Arthritis is just one of many auto immune disease. If you have one auto immune disease chances are you have at least one other. That in and of itself should be reason enough to keep up with your physicals. Be aware of your body. I was never one to pay attention to aches & pains. Be sure you tell your doctor EVERYTHING. Even if you think it is not important, tell him anyway. Another fact you should be aware of if you aren't already is that if you have PsA, there is a 30% more chance you will develop diabetes. I myself am pre-diabetic. I am trying to control it with my diet & my doctor checks my levels often. I also have hashimotos. I hope all this does not cause you more worries. It is only my intent to inform & share what I know. Hope this was of some help to you & if I can be of any other help please feel free to ask.