Diagnosis Frustrations!

I have been seeing a GP who ordered some tests on a day when I felt great. The test did not show signs of inflammation, so he decided I do not have PsA. Just like that. Mentioned fibromyalgia, and after reading about it I absolutely do not fit the criteria. However, I have had nearly all the classic symptoms of psoriatic arthritis most of my life. Always these things were attributed to other causes and were mild and intermittent. Those days are gone. My pain is real, my loss of strength and mobility is real, the mri shows arthritis in the spine with scoliosis, etc. HELP! What do I do, what questions do I ask the doctor, what tests should be done??? I am getting ticked off and building one heckuva resentment towards the medical community. Thanks for reading my rant.

Hi there, Listening. Many of us have no sign of inflammation in our bloodwork – there is a recent thread on the topic. Have you been to see a rheumatologist?

My CRP is always high, but the other markers are in the normal range. There is no such thing as test for PsA, however there is a new test for fibromyalgia. Maybe ask about it to rule it out.

I think you should put your foot down and tell your GP you want a referral to see someone else. I know I had to do that at one point. My first Rhuemy didn't even diagnose me, he just kept sticking needles in me, trying to figure out what was wrong with my hand. Comes a time to move on for sure.

Lets face it, the rheumatologist knows a little, the GP's know even less.

That test result doesn't mean anything. Rant anytime :) We all get to that point, especially when it comes to the doctors.

I knew what I had before I went went to my gp. He insisted on doing a bunch of test then eventually referred me on to a rhumey. It took over a year to get in. Turns out the rhumey agreed with me and started meds right away. But I really had to press my gp to send me on. You need to advocate for yourself.

yes you definitely need to put your foot down…my family dr sent me to the rheumatologist…after 2 yrs of her flip flopping on what I had I decided to go back to my family dr and get a referral…the first time I asked (because there is a shortage in my area) he said he wouldn’t know who to send me to…so I did homework and found a clinic to go to in Toronto…went back and insisted that he give me a referral there…my daughter lives there and is a nurse across the street at Sick Kids…this all happened in June…to make a long story short I now have a new rheumatologist…you need to look out for yourself because chances are nobody else is going to do it…I’m so glad I did this…it’s a bit inconvenient (2 hr plane trip)…but it’s worth the flight and peace of mind that I’m treated correctly…its been almost 4 yrs now since the pain started and i finally feel i’m on the right track…good luck in your quest for a rheumatologist.

Boy, I feel lucky. My GP heard me out, sent me for blood tests, and suggested that while we waited for the results, I make an appointment with a rheumy, as she was sure I needed to see one.

Problem is, what seems obvious to me, with a 20-year history of psoriasis, a sausage toe, etc., didn't seem so obvious to either of the first two rheumys I saw.

Do you have a personal or family history of psoriasis?

I was diagnosed with psoriasis about 8 years ago. I gave a quarter size patch on the back of my neck. I have had joint pain and tendonitis since my teens. But it wasent until I put it altogether that I was able to ask for the right referral