PsA reaction to sites of injection

I recently (yesterday) had an injection of stemitil into my buttocks for severe nausea from my Mtx. Now I feel like my SI Joint has flared up again… Could this be related to the injection or maybe more from me laying sick in bed all day? Has anyone experienced this before or am I imagining it? Does anyone have any good research links? Thanks, hope you all are coping ok xox Kelly

There is a chance of Dystonia Between 2% and 40% depending on the dose. Dystonia is a form of muscle spasm. The SI's would be a prime place to get it. I suspect though a Day in bed is more likley. If the SI's are bugging you anyway it doesn't take them long to rust....

You might ask your doc about a Stemetil patch if this becomes a regular problem. The other option if you aren't already is to try injection MTX. Most of us seem to have fewer SE than with the pills and it takes a lower dose than pill to get the same effect

I had some fillings replaced a few days ago. I noticed that I have 3 canker sores on my gum/cheek in a line where the dentist injected anesthetic. I was also wondering if this is a site reaction due to PsA. I've had dental anesthetic before and no reaction before PsA. Or could the sores in my mouth be a coincidence and SE from mtx? Sorry I don't have any answers. Just thought I'd share that I might be experiencing a site reaction. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Mouth ulcers or sores is a side effect of MTX, but it’s rare.

That sounds like someone didn’t know what they were doing with your IM injection, as long as it is on the same side. That combined with not being active could definitely cause your SI pain to act up. Normally, an injection site reaction is a rash of some sort on the skin at the site of the injection. You can also get a systemic reaction, but that would appear in other places than the injection site.

It should begin to resolve on its own, but if you are really concerned about it, call your nurse line.

Every time I get oral anesthetic injections I get sores at the injection sites. My dentist has switched to a computerized injection system (the computer pushes the meds, not the dentist). The slower injection speed seems to make a HUGE difference in getting less sores. Even if your dentist doesn't have this, ask for VERY SLOW anesthetic injections. Then rinse with saltwater several times a day after your appt., even if you don't feel sore (1 tsp. salt in 1 glass warm water).

Spammy said:

I had some fillings replaced a few days ago. I noticed that I have 3 canker sores on my gum/cheek in a line where the dentist injected anesthetic. I was also wondering if this is a site reaction due to PsA. I've had dental anesthetic before and no reaction before PsA. Or could the sores in my mouth be a coincidence and SE from mtx? Sorry I don't have any answers. Just thought I'd share that I might be experiencing a site reaction. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Thank you for your reply, Marietta. I will definitely try that next time.

Marietta said:

Every time I get oral anesthetic injections I get sores at the injection sites. My dentist has switched to a computerized injection system (the computer pushes the meds, not the dentist). The slower injection speed seems to make a HUGE difference in getting less sores. Even if your dentist doesn't have this, ask for VERY SLOW anesthetic injections. Then rinse with saltwater several times a day after your appt., even if you don't feel sore (1 tsp. salt in 1 glass warm water).

Spammy said: