Psa is it a cause of type one diabetes

The current thought is that type 1 diabetes occurs when the body’s immune system destroys the cells that make insulin. - See more at: http://www.diabetes.ca/diabetes-and-you/living-with-type-1-diabetes#sthash.cprrmeHm.dpuf

immune system attacking myself, my insulin production?

is this a common thread or is it just me.??

I wasn’t 100% clear what your question was. But psoriatic arthritis does not cause type 1 diabetes. That said, they are both autoimmune, and autoimmune diseases tend to occur with other autoimmune diseases. If your immune system is inappropriately attacking your body, clearly it can and will do this in more ways than one.

But prednisone use can also cause diabetes when used over Long periods of time, in which case the treatment can cause diabetes.

And then there is also metabolic syndrome.

I wasn’t 100% clear what your question was. But psoriatic arthritis does not cause type 1 diabetes. That said, they are both autoimmune, and autoimmune diseases tend to occur with other autoimmune diseases. If your immune system is inappropriately attacking your body, clearly it can and will do this in more ways than one.

But prednisone use can also cause diabetes when used over Long periods of time, in which case the treatment can cause diabetes.

And then there is also metabolic syndrome.

this is what I am trying to get to. a group of problems seem to be happening and treatment needs to address these combo problems. Another PSA sufferer has lupus also. If enough people ask about these comb problems Doctors might hear us and take it seriously, so I think what is needed is for people stand up and be counted. Years ago most doctors thought fibromyalgia was just a made up term to give to winy house-wives with psychological problems

Graham, many folks have more than one autoimmune disease. I have 3 or 4, depending on who's counting and what counts.

As to type I diabetes, here's a story. A few months ago I had an appointment with my endocrinologist. He had a young woman in the office that day who was a family practice resident. She was hanging out to learn a bit about endocrinology. We were going through my meds, and got to the biologic. She was unfamiliar with that class of drugs, so the endo and I were explaining to her what they were and how they worked. The doctor also mentionned that researchers were having some success treating type I diabetes with biologics in the early stage, I assume when the body has begun attacking islet cells but before they are all destroyed.

So, it looks like there may be similarities between diabetes and other autoimmune diseases. The big question is why one person's joints are under attack while someone else's pancreas or gut is the target. Many more questions than answers at the moment.

Add to that, the fact that psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis, two autoimmune diseases, are linked together. Why do some people only get psoriasis, but if you get PsA it's typically after you already have psoriasis. Is it really just one disease with a multitude of symptoms including skin lesions only for some? I thought I had only psoriasis for 30+ years, yet I always felt that the psoriasis "came from within" as I told one doctor. My skin felt weird below the surface--even where there weren't lesions. I've wondered if those of you with PsA not realizing you ever had psoriasis, really had "psoriasis" --but under your skin! This probably sounds crazy to most of you, but it's something I've wondered about.

Louise said:

Graham, many folks have more than one autoimmune disease. I have 3 or 4, depending on who's counting and what counts.

As to type I diabetes, here's a story. A few months ago I had an appointment with my endocrinologist. He had a young woman in the office that day who was a family practice resident. She was hanging out to learn a bit about endocrinology. We were going through my meds, and got to the biologic. She was unfamiliar with that class of drugs, so the endo and I were explaining to her what they were and how they worked. The doctor also mentionned that researchers were having some success treating type I diabetes with biologics in the early stage, I assume when the body has begun attacking islet cells but before they are all destroyed.

So, it looks like there may be similarities between diabetes and other autoimmune diseases. The big question is why one person's joints are under attack while someone else's pancreas or gut is the target. Many more questions than answers at the moment.

Hi, Graham. No doubt that there’s a common thread! Here’s something about the co-morbidities of PsA, from our Newbies’ Guide:
http://www.brandpointcontent.com/InfoGraphics/8084620101.jpg?r=302976529