PsA at 80 years old, does this disease ever burn out?

My Mom is 87 and has had what was thought to be reactive arthritis on and off since an attack of flu in her early 40’s, which affected knees and feet, She is very stoical and used mainly aspirin for episodes of joint flare, she developed crohn’s and nail signs later, which seemed to point to Psa She suffered her first extreme flare up at age of 84 in SI joints and back which crippled her, prednisone and enbrel got her functioning again but 2 yr later it stopped working.
Humira and Ustekinumab helped for a while. It seems to be going faster now she is older are there any of you over 80 or know anyone who is, is there any hope of it burning out like R A does?

I’m sorry to hear your mom is going through this at her stage in life. It’s an interesting question, the idea of burning out. I didn’t really think this happened, and the course of the disease may be different, since she didn’t suffer a major flare until her eighties. This would definitely be something to bring up with her rheumatologist.

Thanks for your helpful reply, I will do that, my Mom’s experience was of single joint moderate flare ups from time to time, I guess she was lucky to have a moderate form, during which she held down a job and raised 3 children, so we are very grateful for that as so many people suffer seriously whilst still young.

Stoney said:

I’m sorry to hear your mom is going through this at her stage in life. It’s an interesting question, the idea of burning out. I didn’t really think this happened, and the course of the disease may be different, since she didn’t suffer a major flare until her eighties. This would definitely be something to bring up with her rheumatologist.

Sorry to hear this for your mother. If I am remembering correctly there is a video that I believe I saw from this site in a discussion. The doctor stated that the disease did not burn out like RA but I can't point you to where I saw this so I agree asking your rheumy to know for sure. Prayers for your mother and you!

I will do this,thanks for your kind thoughts.

Steffani said:

Sorry to hear this for your mother. If I am remembering correctly there is a video that I believe I saw from this site in a discussion. The doctor stated that the disease did not burn out like RA but I can’t point you to where I saw this so I agree asking your rheumy to know for sure. Prayers for your mother and you!