PsA and cosentyx

Has anyone have goof luck with cosentyx for psortiac arthritis? my Dr wants to put me on it…

1 Like

Unfortunately, I do not - but I looked at the website and they have a photo of a woman in a tutu and a man in a cape on a PsA walk and I think it’s my new favorite photo ever.

2 Likes

I am on Cosentyx and have been for 8 months. I am on 150 mgs and so far so good. I am going to ask to increase my dose as it wears off after 2 weeks.

1 Like

There have been a few discussions about Cosentyx on this site.
I like that picture from the Costentyx site as well! Reminds me of some people I know … but I can’t think who.

2 Likes

Where is this PSA walk? I have never seen a fundraiser for PSA before. Is it just part of the photo shoot?

1 Like

Who knows. I just captured that from the Cosentyx site. I think I remember reading about a fundraiser walk run by the American arthritis society, though. Here’s some information.

It is a cute picture, don’t you think?

1 Like

Here’s info about PsA walks sponsored by the Psoriasis Foundation: http://npf.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=cms.page&id=1020

1 Like

I’m looking for a new biologic. What other biologics did you try before Cosenytx?

1 Like

Very cute!

1 Like

Thanks for the info… I’ll update when I start it…

1 Like

I started on Enbrel, works great for PsA, but ok for the skin. I am on hurmira but does not last long enough…

1 Like

@Seenie is the caped crusader about to administer a left handed upper cut?

1 Like

For sure! I’ll get right on that!

1 Like

I have only been on Humira. I got optic neuropathy from it and it eliminates my using all TNF inhibitors. If you respond well to the tried and true - Humira, Enbrel and others, I would certainly recommend that you try them first. Cosentyx has not been used enough to determine many of the long term side effects (things like cancer).

1 Like

I have been prescribed Cosentyx recently after having been on Humira for a couple years then switched to Enbrel for the past year and a half. My rheumatologist decided to make the switch at the last appointment thinking that because it is a different kind of biologic, it might work better for me. I have good days and bad days, I don’t really know how to gauge if the Enbrel is “working”. Maybe I would be much worse were I not on it. I did not realize until I read this post that there is much more research behind Enbrel and humira than the cosentyx… this is important especially due to the fact that I have had breast cancer as well as thyroid cancer. Thanks for the “food for thought”. Going to look into this.

1 Like

This is the part of the patient literature that bothers me… "

NONCLINICAL TOXICOLOGY
Carcinogenesis, Mutagenesis, Impairment of Fertility

Animal studies have not been conducted to evaluate the carcinogenic or mutagenic potential of Cosentyx. Some published literature suggests that IL-17A directly promotes cancer cell invasion in vitro, whereas other reports indicate IL-17A promotes T-cell mediated tumor rejection. Depletion of IL-17A with a neutralizing antibody inhibited tumor development in mice. The relevance of experimental findings in mouse models for malignancy risk in humans is unknown."

1 Like

Cosentyx was approved for use in the US in january of 2015. Humira has been used in the US for 15 years and enbrel for almost 20. I was trying to find where I read something in the Cosentyx literature about the FDA approving the plan to follow patients now using Cosentyx to determine long term risk for cancer. I really do not have a choice, there is no tried and true med for me to use, but if I did, I honestly would not be on this… You may want to look into Remicade, Stelara, Simponi, or Cimzia. I am not sure how long these have been around, but I would guess longer than 15 months. Best Wishes!

1 Like

I am 3 weeks into the one-month “loading period” of weekly, 300-mg injections. The drug achieves 70% of its result by week 4, supposedly. I have had virtually zero result: my plantar fasciae, toes, fingers and wrists are still varying from a “4” to an “8” on a 0-to-10 scale. I still can’t walk more than about 1/4 mile without being crippled the next day by my feet. My big scalp patch of psoriasis is unchanged, though a tiny 2" patch on my elbow has healed over. At the outrageous price of thousands for every dose, healing a small patch of skin is not even close to worth it! Very disappointed.

I had superb results from leflunomide for six months, but then my fingers and toes started to go numb from neuropathy. The numbness subsided after 2 months off the leflunomide. I’m thinking of asking the rheumatologist at my appointment next week about going on leflunomide 6-months-on, 2-months-off.

1 Like

I’m just about to start this med having had two previous biologics fail for me. However having talked to other people - you really need to be out of your loading doses before you see results. So that would be the second month, not week 3 of the first month. Remember all biologics can take time. Some of us are fast responders to them, others of us are slower responders and of course it’s impossible to know which each of us will be. Usual trial period for all our meds is 3 months minimum. Biologics included. It’s doubtful any rheumatologist would switch you off Cosentyx before the end of the third month. It is however usual to take a DMARD with any biologic so there’s no reason to have stopped leflunomide really. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input. However, I have read the published research on secukinumab. This drug should achieve 70% of its results by the end of week 4 and the remaining 30% by the end of week 12. My rheumatologist told me the same when she prescribed it. I intend to finish the 5 weekly doses I received at a discount from Novartis, but I’m out of pocket for every penny of my medical costs and at thousands per dose, this would have to be a freakin’ miracle to justify remaining on it! Only half the study population had even a 20% improvement, so I was not terribly disappointed that it’s not working for me.

Leflunomide was almost miraculous for me. Unfortunately I developed neuropathy after six months of taking it and had to discontinue because I wanted to be able to feel my fingers and toes. Now that the sensation is back and we know it’s reversible, it seems like it might be my best option.