Physical therapy and chiropractor?

Does anyone feel like PT or the chiropractor has helped them? I am trying to find ways to keep me pretty mobile so i am not hurting as much during the day.

-Morgan

I have used PT quite a few times. And yes, it has been helpful. I've done it for shoulders, ankles (especially achilles tendons), hips. I've also had some success with a hand therapist. Strengthening around the joints can be really helpful.

PT is great. (activity is at least a third of pain control) I would avoid chiropractic. Unless your inflammation is totally under control you can end up with hyper mobile joints (especially the younger you are.) Chiropractic is not a good thing in those instances. You want as much stability as possible. A chiropractor can not put them "back in" and keep them there. Ultimatley you end up with more pain. Also at your age being symptomatic, its a better than average chance that your PsA is the spondylitis type. Spinal manipulation combined with inflamation will encourage the growth of syndesmophytes which a particular kind of bone spurs that grow inside of ligaments. not a cool thing.

I have gotten a lot of grief from the teachers here about Friday tests so in order to get back in their good graces, heres some homework. Go through this site it applies TOTALLY to you. ERA refers to PsA in a number of places in the world There are a number of links inside the articles. Book mark it, follow the links learn the exercises. Jot down any questions for your doc or us here. When YOU are comfortable with the material, you might want to share it with your parents.

http://www.aboutkidshealth.ca/en/healthaz/conditionsanddiseases/inflammatoryconditions/pages/enthesitis-related-arthritis-era-a-guide-for-teenagers.aspx

Physical therapy is very helpful. I credit physical therapy when I was a kid and first dx with helping keep most of my mobility. Puberty is a busy time for the body, and PsA can cause more difficulties while adjusting to growth.

Do you see a pediatric rheumy, or a rheumy for adults? A ped. rheumy will know the extra things to look out for during the teenage years, and would most likely have a PT they recommend for working with kids / teens.

I, personally, would never see a chiropractor. I don't want anyone messing with my spine, except a PT (I won't even let a PT assistant near me).

I’ll admit it. I gave Lamb a hard time about saying that nothing much happens at school on a Friday. LOL
That’s a great site, with great links, from a really good source. Lamb’s forgiven.

tntlamb said:

PT is great. (activity is at least a third of pain control) I would avoid chiropractic. Unless your inflammation is totally under control you can end up with hyper mobile joints (especially the younger you are.) Chiropractic is not a good thing in those instances. You want as much stability as possible. A chiropractor can not put them "back in" and keep them there. Ultimatley you end up with more pain. Also at your age being symptomatic, its a better than average chance that your PsA is the spondylitis type. Spinal manipulation combined with inflamation will encourage the growth of syndesmophytes which a particular kind of bone spurs that grow inside of ligaments. not a cool thing.

I have gotten a lot of grief from the teachers here about Friday tests so in order to get back in their good graces, heres some homework. Go through this site it applies TOTALLY to you. ERA refers to PsA in a number of places in the world There are a number of links inside the articles. Book mark it, follow the links learn the exercises. Jot down any questions for your doc or us here. When YOU are comfortable with the material, you might want to share it with your parents.

http://www.aboutkidshealth.ca/en/healthaz/conditionsanddiseases/inf...

PT has been awesome for me and has included land- and water-based therapies. The aqua therapy is really great and while I have the sense of having worked my muscles hard there's not the accompanying pain that sometimes comes in the joints from exercising.

I agree with what Lamb says about chiro. I used to go once a month before my diagnosis but I find it too much, particularly on my neck, now. One of the things PT has taught me is that I have lost a lot of strength in the smaller muscles that stabilize joints (small and large) and while I'm still strong I'm not that good with balance. PT has worked me hard to regain strength in those stabilizing muscles and that has helped my posture and my core strength, too.

Good luck as you put together a comprehensive treatment plan for yourself. It's a whole new life now!!

I go to PT 3 times a week, the therapists that work with me are GREAT, The first visit I dreaded, now I can't wait too go to the next visit. I was diagnosed with Lyme disease and it triggered Psoriatic Arthritis, I have it in my feet , knees, hips, lower back , shoulders , elbows, and hands and they do different exercises for each joint. PT helps to strengthen muscles and soft tissues around joints and helps too prevent stiffness and preserves mobility.

PT and exercise will keep you limber(-er) than you would have been without. Both help to keep you limber and strong, helps with sleep, pain (via endorphins), and are good health habits to develop anyway!

I'm not a big fan of chiro, i think that exercise and range of motion (ROM) exercises are the best bets.

PT can be great for stabilizing joints, building up your strength, etc. Chiropractic can help depending on the type of PsA you have and the training of your chiropractor. If you have the spondylitis type of PsA, chiropractic is a no-no. Before my diagnosis, I went to a chiropractor who did gentle releases on me, not anything like a standard chiropractic adjustment. Some of us here have had success with cranio-sacral therapy and/or acupuncture.

I find PT extremely helpful if I go to a good a therapist. I only go to Virginia Hospital where they have an outpatient rehab center with one on one therapy sessions. All the therapists have Master's degrees and they have a comprehensive program with milestones set etc. They show me how to exercise safely and it really has motivated me to exercise. I always leave feeling great ! Also, I pay the same co-pay - it isn't more expensive ! I've been to other PT places where the therapist is watching 2-3 people at a time - horrible ! Perhaps a hospital near you has a good program?

My doc gave me a requisition for PT, now I'm looking for one that is familiar with PsA. I need to feel confident they know what PsA is so I can know if they can help me and not hurt me. I've done a bit of PT and it does seem to help to keep things limber as they say.

I had PT for a shoulder injury and it helped a lot. PsA hasn't attacked that area yet....my hand after injury is a different story. PsA dominates my hands I believe it's because I didn't get PT for it. I don't believe this is a coincidence.

Dini,

I wish you the best in finding a good therapist - to me it's just as important as finding a good rheumy. Also, I suggest if you aren't happy with your therapist, find another one - you're paying for it !

Frances

Hello Fighter-

I agree with the other respondents on the benefits of exercise. Lately I have been using a DVD from the Pete Egoscue method- postural therapy - and have found it extremely beneficial for extending range of motion and improving pelvic stability. - the Pain free workout series.

Melaniej, Thanks for posting the DVD info. I'm going to check it out. I've been looking for a good exercised DVD.

Hi Morgan, I hate to disagree with some of you, but I have been going to an excellent chiro for years and he has helped me a lot with back pain and back spasms. He knows me and is very careful.

I went to PT on the advise of my new rheumy, and tho I kept stressing my PsA to them, they were way too rough. On the 4th visit, the therapist was pressing very hard and twisting my back, despite my complains, and the next day I couldn't walk, back pain too great. That evening I literally could not move, even to lay down on my bed.

I will prob never go to pt for my back again. Obviously it depends on the quality of the provider, its very hard to find a good pt or a good chiro -- Don't be afraid to try, but also don't be afraid to stop its its a bad match.

Good Luck

Diane

I agree. PT has been wonderful for me. I found a "manipulative (hands-on) therapist", meaning hands on. It's like getting a mini-massage each visit! Chiro was great for my hips and SI joint. But it actually made my neck worse.