Pain, Inflammation and Exercise

An interesting theory on how pain, inflammation, and exercise interact with our immune system…

https://bodyinmind.org/macrophages-pain-analgesia/

1 Like

Yup, I believe it. Interesting article, Jen!

Think that would be a good one for our Newbies’ Guide, or our Research category?

Research category perhaps? It is very simply written, but with all the IL-6, IL-10, macrophages etc, I would have been overwhelmed as a newbie! Maybe our relative newbies could comment though?

I was having some problems with the categories when I posted, so please feel free to move it for me (please :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

Never mind getting our heads around macrophages, just don’t be a sedentary animal! That’s what I take from this.

I always think it’s all right for those of us who have always enjoyed exercise, but the ‘exercise reduces pain’ message is hard to swallow for those who have never had the exercise bug. Being in pain, struggling with a diagnosis of PsA and being told to change your life style and to keep it changed - wow, that’s a lot to take on. But it is absolutely the way to go, I don’t know a lot but I know that for sure.

2 Likes

I really second Sybil on this, as I’ve been on both sides. Some days I have to FORCE myself to get moving. I’m an exercise-loving person though and have fought to not give up everything the last 12 yrs.

I get how hard it can be though when normal, day-to-day things truly are impossible. My orthopedist just LOVES to remind me of what will happen if I don’t keep being diligent, but he also tries everything to keep me moving too. I wish everyone had that “someone” or “someones” in their corner like I do, as they keep me honest when my brain tells my body to just quit. :slight_smile:

As for my lower back, that’s a no-brainer and an example of me being on the other side of this discussion — ti needs daily stretching and exercise or I WILL get to that point of barely functioning. It happened after I had my son 11 yrs ago, took 3 yrs to get over, and I don’t ever want to end up that way again. :frowning:

I wish it was easier for everyone though and will never say it’s easy.

2 Likes