Osteoarthritis first

Hi all, I am new here, diagnosed last year. I have severe osteoarthritis so I have been seeing the rheumatologist for 20 years. A new kind of bone damage shown on xrays made her diagnose PsA. Anyone else start this way?

That’s my mom. Except that she had to ask about PsA specifically, based on my diagnosis. In the meantime her hands were destroyed.

Hi there, I’m fairly new here too :slight_smile: Initially I was diagnosed with osteo too (it showed in hip xrays, and more recently in knees too)… It was when my ankles, feet, hands and wrists all started to act up within a month of each other my GP thought maybe PsA (only after I told him about the mild psoriasis I’ve had for years)… I still have no PsA type bone damage showing on xrays, but shoulders and elbows have joined in too, that on top of the fatigue, and notable improvement on anti-inflammatories and prednisone has clinched an inflammatory arthritis diagnosis, probably PsA. It seems to be fairly common for PsA to first present as osteo (as near as I can gather)… here’s hoping now that you have a definitive diagnosis you will be able to get some meds that will help soon (crosses fingers)

Thanks all. I appreciate the info you gave. My hands are pretty unusable too. I just started Enbrel with the MTX. Maybe the diagnosis was good, as it lead my rheumatologist to start the biologic. (The xrays were serious enough that she bursting into the office to tell me I had PsA.) I did remind her that a nurse in her practice told me she thought it was PsA 5 years ago! Anyway, good wishes for everyone’s health!

2 Likes

I’m so pleased to hear they have started you straight off on what seems to be good meds, I haven’t had Enbrel myself but have read a few posts on here that would suggest mostly positive things with it :slight_smile:

It’s a shame it has taken soo long to get to the bottom of it… that seems to be the way all too often with PsA… but at least now they will treat it aggressively and hopefully you will get some relief ASAP!! Do let us know it goes for you!!!

All the best!!!

3, welcome to our clubhouse! How I hate, though, welcoming people who already have damage. That’s how I arrived here: after years of complaints that weren’t taken seriously, joint damage was found in my feet and that’s when I was referred to a rheumatologist, who diagnosed PsA. That’s when I came here all in a flap. Anyway, a warm welcome to you nonetheless.

You are far from the only late diagnosee (?) here. In fact, I think that it’s a rarity when someone says that they got a diagnosis in less than a year.

We’re glad that you found us! Stick around and you might even find that you like us. :rofl:

1 Like

@3sisters yup that is my story too. 20+ years of being treated for Otseoarthritis with no relief. Then just a few months ago new Rheumatologist saw what looked to her to be Psoriasis on my wrist and elbows. She sent me to dermatologist for biopsy. I am on Otezla finally. I can’t say I feel great just yet but I am hopeful. @Seenie I am only here a very short time and I already like you. When I feel at my worst you and everyone else here have the right words to help me scrape myself together again- and that is a major feat for me! Yes @3sisters you found a great group of folks here. I don’t feel I need to explain myself to any of them. They get it. They’ve been down this road ahead of me and are willing to help the rest of us manage as best we can.

1 Like

Sharon, I’m so sorry that you’ve arrived here in a similar condition to mine. It’s disheartening for sure. But you know, I am confident that things will now get better for you. Knowing what you have is the key.

Oh no, no need to explain yourself, but don’t forget that venting every now and again is healthy. And venting here is very therapeutic: we get it. All of it. And you’re right about the people here being willing to help ease the way along the difficult path that we find ourselves on. My own personal mission is PsA awareness and advocacy, one person at a time. It makes me feel like my losses weren’t in total vain.

So Sharon, where is your damage (sorry if I missed reading something I should have)?

@Seenie Osteoarthritis originally diagnosed ( or misdiagnosed?) in left knee and lower back in 1994. 2 knee surgeries later still no relief which led to total knee replacement in 2016. Much to my surprise the knee hasn’t recovered ( I am 8 months post surgery and still swollen can’t stand for more than a few minutes without pain). Psoriasis started on my right hip 20+ years ago then spread to my elbows after knee surgery 1. Dr chalked that up to stress from job. Osteoarthritis diagnosis was because of left knee accident - it didn’t explain arm pain or pain in right leg - though Dr called it sympathetic pain. I was given topical ointment for psoriasis, Only topical ointment didn’t do anything for the pain. The psoriasis did not clear up. I was given Celebrex, Voltaren, Arthrotec, Morphine and NSAIDs to try ( not all at once). None took away the pain. 2010 I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis in right foot and was told lose weight I did but pain stayed. So pain and I have coexisted since 1994. In 2016 Orthopedic Dr thought knee replacement was the answer to all of my trouble. In the meantime the psoriasis spread to both hips and to right wrist and both hands and elbows. Orthopedic Dr said it is stress related nothing to worry about. My left elbow is worse than right. My fingers look like sausage links unless/until they are in a warm environment. I can’t bear the cold at all. I can’t wear jeans unless the waist is a size larger because my left leg is swollen most of the time. I do elevate and ice it but once ice is off swelling returns. Orthopedic Dr has no response to why this is happening. He recommended a Rheumatologist. Rheumatologist started me on Otezla 4 weeks ago. She did full body X-rays and showed me the areas she’s most concerned about (my lower back, left arm, hands, neck and to my surprise my left foot). I do have Osteoarthritis in right knee too but she needs to get Psa under control first she said. Too soon to judge if Otezla is working.

Oh. My. Goodness. @SharonB, I’m so sorry to read this. And nobody thought to send you to a rheumatologist because everybody assumed that what was happening to you was mechanical problems. I’m guessing part of that misjudgement was your being part of the 51% of PsA patients whose blood work appears normal. Mine was normal even as my hips were suffering rapid inflammatory damage. Incredible, really.

The good news (finally) is that your rheumatologist isn’t wasting any time with you. I’m guessing that if Otezla doesn’t cut it, she’ll move you on to one of the biologics fairly quickly.

Here’s a book which you might find interesting reading. It’s a bit out of date, but mostly in the section on biologic treatment: there are many more in the arsenal since it was written.

Thank you, Seenie. I surely will enjoy the clubhouse!