Only 10% improvement on Enbrel

According to Rhuemy who bases everything on my blood tests I have had a 10% improvement on Enbrel. I know it was working more than this during the first two months as I was so much better for a while. Now after 4 months on, some days it doesn't even feel like it is working at all.

The same thing happened on Mtx which I am still on. I do know these meds are working, just not enough or what I had hope for. I do accept having PSA. It is what it is, I cope most days and I do the best I can to live with the way I am.

I have to continue on the same meds for another 3 months and wait and see if things improve.

Bella, I hope that things turn around for you. :(

Bella- The rate of improvement that is considered an improvement is frightfully low. I'm sure you're also well aware that sometimes we feel like the meds aren't working, yet when we come off them, we find that that they were working better than we thought. But I'm curious, how is the doctor basing everything on your blood tests? 10% improvement? What about function? Inflammation? Pain?

I'm wondering about this as there are people, including myself, who are completely sero-negative.

Hi Stoney.

My reply to Stoney and anyone else who wants to know. I do hope this answers your questions.

After my initial visit, my Rhuemy has always been much the same. I have never been happy with him but I accept this as I need him treating me. First I was sent to a major hospital where I was not properly diagnosed who told me it was Osteo A and two years later I requested to see another Rhuemy because no one I knew with Osteo seemed to be as debilitated or suffering as much as me. I live several hours away from where I go to see this Rhuemy and there is no one else in my area that I can see. I have to arrange transport assistance to get me there as I can no longer travel on public transport.

The good news this Rhuemy is retiring soon, but the Rhuemy taking over is someone he trained. I live in hope of getting someone better.

I have copied what the tests are, these are off my next referral slip for the Pathologist. FBE/ESR CRP EllFT. My Rhuemy can apparently tell from these results how bad the inflammation is this is how he has based his 10% improvement on these results.. My readings have always been very high and this has been an ongoing problem trying to reduce them. I think this is the CRP or the ESR test or both. I think the other is to check my white blood cells and the other I know is my Liver function test.

I also have problems with my Sacral joints and tail bone but I do not have that gene marker. That was a one off blood test.

My Rhuemy asks me to put my hands on his desk and he looks at those and usually grunts or tells me they are still inflamed. He points out the deformities at each visit which haven't changed in the past two years. I can clearly see these and have never bothered to dare challenge him in why he does the same thing each visit.

I can't help myself, I say as much as possible in my 7 minute appointment. My appointment time is taken up with reading the blood test reports, and a glance over my history and writing new prescriptions. I have been told to shush up, so he can concentrate on writing my notes and new prescriptions which he still does by hand and are not on a computer like most other doctors do these days. I have tried not budging off my seat until I go the answers I wanted, but never did as my Rhuemy stood there holding the door open for me to leave. He is the one driving the Mercedes convertible and have an old 1993 Ford Festiva. I do feel it is more about the earnings than the caring or the dedication of healing.

I do tell him what joints hurt and how I have been whether he wants to hear it or not. I have become so well practiced at being so concise, short and to the point so I can verbally get it all out in the shortest amount of time. All this seems irrelevant to him, but it makes me feel like I have tried to get my points accross. I have worn sandles with velcro straps on them, so I could get them off in seconds. I have shoved my feet towards him so he will look at my deformed and swollen toes and even that is only a side ways glance. It was my sausage toes that clinched his PSA diagnoses as apparently it is something that only happens if it PSA.

The amount of movement in my hands has improved, enough to help me, but not significantly. I still can't make a fist. I have not been so stiff or ceased up in the mornings since on Enbrel. My hips are still bad at night if I lie on my side, the pain wakes me often and by morning I can't wait to get out of bed and get myself upright to ease the pain off my hips.

The best news is that my Plaque Psoriasis skin has almost cleared for the first time in 17 years.

I have purposely missed a dose of my meds only one at a time, to see if they do work, I now know they all do work a little and I think the combination could make a difference as wel . Every little bit helps.