New to psa

Steph, good luck Monday! I hope you and the doctor figure out a good treatment plan for you.

I have a hard time with meds that affect my liver, so I opted out of the Methotrexate and Sulfasalazine and went right on Enbrel. I like to plug Enbrel because it worked so well for me, and it's injected every week, so if you catch a virus or something you can stop the Enbrel and your immune system won't be compromised for an extended period of time. Idk how much illness you're exposed to, but throughout the winter months at least one of my grandkids is coughing at any given time, and I work with college students and we all know they carry all sorts of yucky germs!!!! I'm dodging sick people at work right now--one kid is fighting pneumonia and two others have bad colds. That part of being on a biologic is the worst part for me--I mean being nearly phobic about germs (I'm not afraid to tell sick people to keep their distance!). But that's just me, I've always been a sort of germaphobe anyway. Hehe--now I have an excuse to be! It's a minor "SE" if the biologic makes you feel nearly 100% better!

I just want to point out. . . For most people the side effect of being on a biologic is being a germaphobe, not getting sick more frequently. Biologics only lower a specific part of your immune system.

Grandma J said:

Steph, good luck Monday! I hope you and the doctor figure out a good treatment plan for you.

I have a hard time with meds that affect my liver, so I opted out of the Methotrexate and Sulfasalazine and went right on Enbrel. I like to plug Enbrel because it worked so well for me, and it’s injected every week, so if you catch a virus or something you can stop the Enbrel and your immune system won’t be compromised for an extended period of time. Idk how much illness you’re exposed to, but throughout the winter months at least one of my grandkids is coughing at any given time, and I work with college students and we all know they carry all sorts of yucky germs!!! I’m dodging sick people at work right now–one kid is fighting pneumonia and two others have bad colds. That part of being on a biologic is the worst part for me–I mean being nearly phobic about germs (I’m not afraid to tell sick people to keep their distance!). But that’s just me, I’ve always been a sort of germaphobe anyway. Hehe–now I have an excuse to be! It’s a minor “SE” if the biologic makes you feel nearly 100% better!

True, Stoney, but I had two colds last year that lasted 5 weeks each and before going on Enbrel if I caught a cold it rarely lasted more than a couple days. I also got folliculitis on my legs, which is something I've never had, even though I've always cut my legs shaving over my dumb psoriasis plaques. Oh, yeah, and I caught "strep A" a couple months ago and nobody I knew even had strep. So, something is affecting my immune system. Also, my white cells keep going down, and my rheumy said he'll take me off Enbrel if they go too low, so Enbrel must surely be affecting my immune system.

With all that said!!!.....I am not a bit sorry I went on Enbrel because it has really given me my life back (too bad PsA or OA damage screwed up my feet and back!) and I certainly would never discourage anyone from trying it! It beats being tired, stiff and achy all the time, and I'll be sad if my rheumy takes me off it or if it stops "doing its magic"!

The ladies have already made excellent points and given you so much information, so there isn't much more I can say. BUT, be strong, even on the dark days. Learn about your disease and make sure you have doctors around you who are informed and understand. Ask questions always. I hope the best for you!

Methotrexate for me personally did not go well. after three treatments i ended up in the hospital because my lungs werent functioning properly. ( i do not want to scare anyone away who reads this. This was me personally i have a history of lung issues. I hear Methotrexate works wonderful for some people) my lungs though couldn't take it. I was inches away from having to be put into another medically induced coma and intubated but luckily for me we got over the hump and i started to improve without that! I started Humira once i was well enough. My job fired me because i was constantly sick then that week long hospital stay really made them mad so i was let go. I was still in my probationary period so they didn't need a reason. that was all very hard to deal with and made me lose my faith in almost everything but i picked myself back up got on humira two months ago no real improvement yet but im hopefully. Also no real bad side effects either which is kinda rare for me! So it's all good things so far. I questioned about going on disability my family was pushing for that but i love my field (i am a certified medical assistant) I'm now looking for work again. I want to live my life as normal as possible for as long as possible. I know with being on humira and working in healthcare isnt the best mix but it's what i love and i hope to help as many people i can for as long as i can. I'm trying to stay positive and stay in motion. I want to change my diet to a bit healthier one. I also plan on finally using my gym membership. I'm going to do light workouts in hopes of strengthening my body and lungs a little more. As far as family history i think the doctors were concerned because leukemia runs in my family but i am just going to hope for the best id rather feel better now with medicine and take that chance.I also have a long list of other medical problems: Asthma, cleft palate and lip, Gallblader stones/fluid around it, kidney problems, psa, major depressive disorder, anxiety, ptsd, and reflux. i've been sickly most of my life. i think i always had a wacky immune system. I just keep telling myself ive been through worse and i will get through this just like everything else! You are all so strong and have inspired me to be strong too! thank you so much for that.

You've been through so much. Yet I loved reading this .... it's so obvious that in the long run you're not going to let anything defeat you.

Stephany said:

Methotrexate for me personally did not go well. after three treatments i ended up in the hospital because my lungs werent functioning properly. ( i do not want to scare anyone away who reads this. This was me personally i have a history of lung issues. I hear Methotrexate works wonderful for some people) my lungs though couldn't take it. I was inches away from having to be put into another medically induced coma and intubated but luckily for me we got over the hump and i started to improve without that! I started Humira once i was well enough. My job fired me because i was constantly sick then that week long hospital stay really made them mad so i was let go. I was still in my probationary period so they didn't need a reason. that was all very hard to deal with and made me lose my faith in almost everything but i picked myself back up got on humira two months ago no real improvement yet but im hopefully. Also no real bad side effects either which is kinda rare for me! So it's all good things so far. I questioned about going on disability my family was pushing for that but i love my field (i am a certified medical assistant) I'm now looking for work again. I want to live my life as normal as possible for as long as possible. I know with being on humira and working in healthcare isnt the best mix but it's what i love and i hope to help as many people i can for as long as i can. I'm trying to stay positive and stay in motion. I want to change my diet to a bit healthier one. I also plan on finally using my gym membership. I'm going to do light workouts in hopes of strengthening my body and lungs a little more. As far as family history i think the doctors were concerned because leukemia runs in my family but i am just going to hope for the best id rather feel better now with medicine and take that chance.I also have a long list of other medical problems: Asthma, cleft palate and lip, Gallblader stones/fluid around it, kidney problems, psa, major depressive disorder, anxiety, ptsd, and reflux. i've been sickly most of my life. i think i always had a wacky immune system. I just keep telling myself ive been through worse and i will get through this just like everything else! You are all so strong and have inspired me to be strong too! thank you so much for that.

Stephany, I love your determination. And, you say Humira isn't working yet, but I'm wondering if it's having a subtle effect because you sound so enthusiastic about your future plans! I'm hoping you'll start noticing big changes in how you feel and you have a long relationship with Humira! :-)

Thank you! I am trying really hard with humira. I have noticed new psoriasis patches popping up and oh my the nausea is overwhelming. I’m trying to stay positive. How is everyone else?

I’m sure you’re right about this, Seenie. The group isolated in that study was adolescent males, but the findings are just reported as an increased risk of cancer on the list of adverse effects. Not very helpful, but plenty scary.

Seenie said:

Stoney, great article. Thanks.

We need tntlamb, our stats man, to weigh in on the cancer risk question. To the best of my recollection (mind you, my memory ain’t what it used to be) the cancer risk is only elevated for young men with Crohn’s disease. But I’m hoping that lamb will correct me if I am wrong.

Oh, and the risk of all of the other horrible things that come with untreated PsA are so much worse that it’s completely worth taking the bio meds.

GrumpyCat said:

I’m sure you’re right about this, Seenie. The group isolated in that study was adolescent males, but the findings are just reported as an increased risk of cancer on the list of adverse effects. Not very helpful, but plenty scary.

Seenie said:

Stoney, great article. Thanks.

We need tntlamb, our stats man, to weigh in on the cancer risk question. To the best of my recollection (mind you, my memory ain’t what it used to be) the cancer risk is only elevated for young men with Crohn’s disease. But I’m hoping that lamb will correct me if I am wrong.

I’m so sorry that you lost your job, but this may be a blessing. If you can start to hunt for a lower key job now, you’ll thank yourself for it later. Also, make sure that they have short term and long term disability insurance. Be sure to sign up for it when you’re hired. If you do it right away, there’s no need for any medical history to be provided. It’s usually very cheap 10 to 20 dollars a month, that’s if the employer doesn’t cover it for you. They usually pay 60% of your income which usually ends up being your take home pay. In many cases, you won’t have to pay income taxes on it. You only have to be employed for a year to access it. It’s a huge benefit to have.
If you want to work and can make yourself do it, then go ahead. I recommend trying to get through another year. Disability insurance through work well pay a lot more than what you’d get through social security, which is usually only enough to cover groceries.

Stephany said:

Methotrexate for me personally did not go well. after three treatments i ended up in the hospital because my lungs werent functioning properly. ( i do not want to scare anyone away who reads this. This was me personally i have a history of lung issues. I hear Methotrexate works wonderful for some people) my lungs though couldn’t take it. I was inches away from having to be put into another medically induced coma and intubated but luckily for me we got over the hump and i started to improve without that! I started Humira once i was well enough. My job fired me because i was constantly sick then that week long hospital stay really made them mad so i was let go. I was still in my probationary period so they didn’t need a reason. that was all very hard to deal with and made me lose my faith in almost everything but i picked myself back up got on humira two months ago no real improvement yet but im hopefully. Also no real bad side effects either which is kinda rare for me! So it’s all good things so far. I questioned about going on disability my family was pushing for that but i love my field (i am a certified medical assistant) I’m now looking for work again. I want to live my life as normal as possible for as long as possible. I know with being on humira and working in healthcare isnt the best mix but it’s what i love and i hope to help as many people i can for as long as i can. I’m trying to stay positive and stay in motion. I want to change my diet to a bit healthier one. I also plan on finally using my gym membership. I’m going to do light workouts in hopes of strengthening my body and lungs a little more. As far as family history i think the doctors were concerned because leukemia runs in my family but i am just going to hope for the best id rather feel better now with medicine and take that chance.I also have a long list of other medical problems: Asthma, cleft palate and lip, Gallblader stones/fluid around it, kidney problems, psa, major depressive disorder, anxiety, ptsd, and reflux. i’ve been sickly most of my life. i think i always had a wacky immune system. I just keep telling myself ive been through worse and i will get through this just like everything else! You are all so strong and have inspired me to be strong too! thank you so much for that.