New meds, scared of possible allergic reaction

As if dealing with my recent arthritis flare, and psoriasis patches all over my head, my ID doctor feels as though some of my Lyme symptoms are flaring as well. I feel like I have been hit by a bus one day, the next day not so much. Migraines, blurry vision at times, hearing in and out, and myalgia's everywhere. This weeks blood work, of course the Lyme test has been "negative" now for a year after the initial treatment, but 2 or 3 lyme serums still show in my test. I suspect they always will. Liver levels are still high as well.

My doctor said she would like to try something to put me back into "remission". She is putting me on

Probenecid 500MG - Twice daily

&

Cefuroxime (Zinacef) 500MG - Twice Daily

I do have some concerns though because of the Zinacef. It is a crossover from penicillin and I am allergic to that. She tried to assure me that most people who are allergic to penicillin can still take this medicine, but I am not thoroughly convinced.

She also made me order some strong liquid pro-biotic called Flora PM to take with this, as to try an avoid upset stomach.

For the aches & pain ( this particular doctor knows I am NOT a fan of any painkillers ) she told me to take Motrin 800MG as needed.

I also have set up an appointment with a new rheumy for early November. Hopefully this doctor will help me instead of just yell " Enbrel !!" in my face at every visit, and not brush off my lyme. I have actually had 3 Rheumatologist laugh in my face and tell me I never had lyme. Even with the positive paperwork clearly showing the evidence in my hand. Just goes to show how hard it is to find a good doctor in my area that will take you seriously.

Blah !!!!!

It is tough that you have to think long and hard about a treatment plan. You want to be well but you need an assurance that the medicine won’t make things worse. Good luck figuring it out. Hopefully your new rheumy will have your back.

How allergic are you? Nausea and GI upset? Hives? Anaphylaxis?

It can be worth a shot. We can treat allergic reactions as long as patients recognize the symptoms. Plus those are pretty high stakes. I’d rub myself with gloves and balloons if it might put me into remission. (Latex allergy, but not yet anaphylactic). There are many instances where a drug is so far removed from its roots that folks with say a PCN or sulfa reaction would not have that result with that diluted and changed drug. That is more common than not. I hope I explained that okay…I’m a little sleepy!

I know I get hives and start throwing up. Hence the popular believe that allergies are not inherited, my mother has the same reaction, as now do both of my children. So we all stray away from anything containing penicillin. My son had to take a medicine that was a penicillin cross over and got so ill it was scary.

I ended up calling my doctor back and she changed the meds to both Azithromycin and Minocycline. Better be safe than sorry. :)