Neutrophil count lower, no action from doctors

Since I last wrote I am now in week three with two further Full Blood Count results. The first put the neutrophil count at 1.1, last week's at 1.4, this week's is back down to 1.2. I do have a cough this week - I understand that viruses can have an effect. My last dose of Humira was on 2nd September and I've skipped this week's dose.
I'm rather concerned that the advice of the consultant here is merely to wait another week and take a further FBC then and maybe to speak to haematology if it remains low. The route of my concern is rather conflicting impressions: on the one hand I'm told that a streptococcal infection could be fatal with a count at 1.1 or so and to be very careful and not to go anywhere with groups of large people; on the other hand I'm being told simply to sit and wait, with no investigations being undertaken. I don't know if I'm being overly simplistic but given I'm repeatedly having to cancel trips to London and the like for fear of infection I'd have thought that either these results are a cause for genuine concern and therefore require follow up or they're merely a cause for some concern but not enough to prevent me from getting on with everything I would otherwise be doing. I'd also assume, as a non-scientist, that nearly three weeks on from my last Humira injection if it were solely the drug then the results should have steadily climbed since the low of 1.1, rather than climbed and then gone down again. All of this is after that first test in August where the result was 1.7, so has dropped and stayed below that level for nearly a month now with no obvious explanation and this being after 8months or more of being on the Humira with FBC that have shown normal at every stage.
Even if I do have a virus now I'd have thought that if the Humira were the underlying problem then my FBC would have climbed each week since stopping it and that any virus might simply have caused the neutrophil count to flatline - cancelling out any further rise from stopping the Humira. However, such a theory assumes the Humria is the cause, even though I took it with no adverse effect on my neutrophil count for months. I am also most concerned that the first test that showed a low neutrophil count was at the start of August - it has dropped back since then to 1.1, 1.4 and now 1.2. In the entire time we've stopped the Humira it has still not recovered to the August level of 1.7 when I was ON the Humria.
Any thoughts?

I have no idea, Michael. What is your GP telling you?

What is your total WBC count? The number of neutrophils is only part of the picture.

Dakota is correct. The interesting thing is that the mechanism of Humira woukd be expected to reduce neutraphils. It indicate that the drug is being very successful at controling tnf. Humiras action is in the blood which is what distinguishes it from say Enbrel.

Here is a very recent article explaining it

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/499443

Is the danger signal being raised by your docs or your own research? It would tske four weeks for the Humira to be gone, and aren't you still taking a DNARD? which also coulld be having an effect. Thats also how they work.

only half the time........

It appears to go too far for others. There would be a pretty significant range for recovery.

watch the data not the science. They aren't stuying the drop in numbers.

http://www.ryanophelan.com/betsy/Dan/05Keystone_ArthRheum_2004.pdf (half went up)

I think you are misunderstanding me, so we will just let it be. Three weeks with an infection in between isn't enough time to recover if it were Humira caused. There also a bajillion other factors at play. The recent variation in count you are reporting could easily occur from just a difference in time of day the sample was taken. Without knowing all your meds, history etc it would be impossible to suggest much. What I would say is take your B-12 and NSAIDS, they both make the count go up.....

That latest study also noted an increase of .05. But keep in mind that this is compared to the control group.....

NSAIDs have the effect when its an autoimmune cause. Folic Acid and B-12 deficiencey are also common problems/ Might for giggles have the GP run an ANA if the count is still low. Thats a pretty good way to know if its drug induced or not.....