Nerve Pain

Does anyone have neuropathy? I have had a mild form of it for quite awhile but it got really bad after starting Arava (Leflunimide). I was doing so well on the Humira/Arava mix but this nerve pain is awful - can't sleep either. My Rheumy told me that in rare cases, there has been nerve damage associated with Humira even though I read it could happen in the elderly on Arava. I am not elderly but it has definitely gotten worse! So now he has taken me off both and it has only been a week but the stiffness is back and the nerve pain is still there. My neurologist has me on Lyrica for it but recently started me on Neurontin (Gabapentin) at night which didn't do a thing and did NOT make me sleepy. 4 hours of sleep a night is not enough and I'm not sure where to turn next...

I have some neuropathy. Thankfully mine is not so much pain, but more tingling (often sharp) and spasms. Honestly, I haven't done anything about it. It's clearly related to inflammation, and not to meds. Mine started before I started on leflunomide, and was clearly associated with a flare the first time. Now that I think about it, it's probably improved since I started it, as my overall disease control is better.

Is it one specific area, such as your feet? Do you have any other conditions that could contribute to this?

I wish you the best with this. It sounds like you're doing the right things.

Be sure to give the Neurontin enough time to work. I seem to remember it was up to 6 months to see results. I do not take it now but was on it years ago. I do not have nerve pain so it didn't work for me but others report good relief.

There is pretty good research in indicating that the addition of a tricyclic is helpful Amitripyline being the most common. They are an old drug but highly effective for nerve pain. generalized pain reponses etc. and in higher doses as an antidepressant. They play extremely well with DMARDS

All that is great but @ 25mg (lowest dose) at bedtime I get a whole nights sleep first time in 40 years.

Couldn't hurt to ask. I love the designer drugs but sometimes old is good too.

tntlamb,

Are you saying this drug would be in addition to the Neurontin or Lyrica?

Stoney,

The pain is in my feet mostly and in my hands, especially my right pinkie finger. I don't have anything else like diabetes. I had that EMG test a year or so ago to diagnose the Piriferal Neuropathy and that was NOT fun!!

tntlamb said:

There is pretty good research in indicating that the addition of a tricyclic is helpful Amitripyline being the most common. They are an old drug but highly effective for nerve pain. generalized pain reponses etc. and in higher doses as an antidepressant. They play extremely well with DMARDS

All that is great but @ 25mg (lowest dose) at bedtime I get a whole nights sleep first time in 40 years.

Couldn't hurt to ask. I love the designer drugs but sometimes old is good too.

Thatt would be your doctors call, I frankly don't know much about the lyrica and neurotronin combo. It would seem to me the problem would be staying awake. That being said Neurontin is first cousins with tramadol which some reort making them hyper.