Need Your Input

Hello Everyone!,

I am Ella, a 28 year old woman (turning 29 in a month…shhhh!) living with PsA for over 2 years now. I love this community (even though I rarely chime in, I do keep track of you lovely people). It is often the habit to sink into frustration, anger, depression, embarrassment, and other hard to handle emotions when dealing with PsA. I will not preach "stay positive" and claim it is possible every day for me (or anyone for that matter!), but it certainly is a great aspiration.

However, the amazing thing about this group is the willingness to rally together and offer support to those in need. We do this with words, actions, and inspiration. I am asking for a specific inspiration from you all:

What songs inspire you, give you strength, or offer you peace in a time of turmoil?

My goal?: I would love to put together a compilation of music. A playlist of positivity!

Ideally, I would love to perform this music and record this with fellow musicians. It may be a rather large feat, but a girl can dream right?

If you would let me know what keeps you going, it would really mean a lot. :)

Xoxo,

Ella

I'm working on the same thing! I have one playlist on my iPod called "BREATHE" which is all serene, relaxing music. What I need now that I'm a bit more mobile is some more energetic positive music.

So far (it's quite an eclectic mix)...

Sound of Sunshine by Michael Franti and Spearhead

Don't Worry About a Thing (from Putumayo's World Playground)

Life Must Go On by Alter Bridge

Don't Worry Be Happy by Bobby McFerrin

Bang a Drum by Bon Jovi

Yahoo! by Erasure

Rhubarb Pie by Five Iron Frenzy

I Want a New Drug by Huey Lewis and the News

Henehene Kou 'Aka by IZ (Israel Kamakawiwo 'ole)

You've Got a Friend by James Taylor

sounds like quite a plan. When I read this the fisrt song that popped into my head was Georgre Micheal or is that Michael George,s You gotta have Faith I thi k thats whzt its called. I dont know the words to that song but always liked that line

k it

Hi Ella! I, too, try to stay positive, but it's so hard some days. The songs below are on my exercise playlist. They keep me going while I am fighting through the pain to get in my exercise. I also love musicals, so often I will listen to and sing along to some of my favorites! That really helps to put me in a better mood.

Fighter - Christina Aguilera

Live Like We're Dying - Kris Allen

Lose Yourself - Eminem

Just Dance - Martina McBride

The Climb - Miley Cyrus

Walking on Sunshine - Katrina & the Waves

It's my Life - Bon Jovi

Stronger - Kelly Clarkson

I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor

Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen (it's just a fun song lol)

Don't Stop Believing - Journey

How to Save a Life - The Fray

Over the Rainbow

I have lots of others, but these are the ones I remembered today :)

I love movie themes. I often play them particularly when I have to do housework. Any Hollywood based movie march will do for some great inspiration. Superman: Superman March. 2. Raiders Of The Lost Ark: Raiders March. 3.
Bridge Over The River Kwai, Star Wars.

I also love "Let the River Run" by Carly Simon from the movie Working Girl

I love the feedback!!!! This is the perfect start to my new playlist. Thank you all for the input, and if people read this that haven't chimed in yet, please do!

Ironically, a friend of mine started a new band and asked me to sing a few covers. I just might have to use some of your suggestions!

The coolest part? I would have never thought of those on my own...Perfect advice from everyone!!!

I actually love several of the songs that have already been suggested by nym and alexa35 but the ones i would add are Brave by Idina Mendez, Sweet Serendipity by Lee DeWyze, Free to be Me by Francesca Battistelli and I Hope you Dance by LeeAnn Womack

What a cool project you are undertaking! :)

I love Kelly Clarkson's "Stronger" - helps me get going in the morning!

Hi Ella,

I sing with a community choir here on Salt Spring Island, BC. And we perform two concerts a year. Choral singing is great for the soul and for the spirit. It can lift you up when you' re down. We have also sung Let The River Run. It's a great song. This term we are concentrating on Canadian content,so we are singing songs like Stan Roger's The Northwest Passage, Susan Aglukark O Siem,which are both very uplifting,and many more songs both uplifting and bittersweet. Our choir is a bit like a community in that we care about eachother and we have a whole range of age groups from teens to octogenerians.

Hi, Ella, I am a vocalist too. Wouldn't it be great to get a group of us who are musicians with PsA and do a compilation CD to raise funds for research? The one thing PsA hasn't robbed me of is my voice. Guitar playing is put on hold accept for when I am teaching it and my djembe is collecting dust. The hands just can't take it anymore. Had a concert Thursday (I teach Music) and the kiddos did great but I had to have a stool on stage with me. I hate that I have to make such changes due to the PsA but so far I have been able to adapt - just not sure how much longer I will be able to do it. Meanwhile, a song that we did at the concert that really hit me was Bruno Mars' "Count on me." For energy, I like to listen to anything by Poison and a long time favorite that takes me to another place is "Rainbow Connection" from the original Muppet Movie.

Hey, these all sound great to me, but 'I Want a New Drug' is the chart topper! Way to go NYM!

The Newbie,

SK

Praise and worship songs do it for me.....they remind me why we're here.

I used to sing in bands too... One of the songs I used to love to do was Martina McBride's "Happy Girl".

In the last couple of years, I discovered Sheryl Crow's Wildflower album. Check it out, there are a lot of songs in there that make me feel better. Some of them are sad, but strangely soothing too. She uses her voice quite differently in this album.

Another vocalist to check out is Eva Cassidy. She was amazing. http://evacassidy.blogspot.ca/

She had a lot of inspiring vocals. If you like Over the Rainbow, you should hear her version.

Trouble Me, by Natalie Merchant of 10,000 Maniacs, is great.

Sometimes when I'm feeling rebellious I love doing the Eagles' "Get Over It" hehehe.... used to do that right after Jan Arden's "Insensitive" when I was playing a gig.... snicker... I do have a naughty side.

I'm sure we'll think of lots more. Great project to get us thinking.

Nancy

I don't have what you would say a list of songs that are inspiring. However I'm happy that my Ipod currently has 1390 songs and I can skip songs until I find something I'm in the mood for. Or if I'm really not sure I'll just put it on shuffle.

Hello Ella, Nice to meet you. I've recently been diagnosed, and on top of this I have been a diabetic for 30 years. I am so besides myself and don't know what to do about my family. They do not underswtand what I am going through, So, I am leaning on Jesus. To answer your question of what songs that keep me going, I like Swithfoots Learning to breathe cd, and the song is I dare you to move. Im trying desperately to GET UP, even though it is hard and painful, and especially when your fatigued. So , that is my answer, and I hope you can use this song. Thank you so much!!

Amen to that!!!!

2trees said:

sounds like quite a plan. When I read this the fisrt song that popped into my head was Georgre Micheal or is that Michael George,s You gotta have Faith I thi k thats whzt its called. I dont know the words to that song but always liked that line

k it