My Methotrexate Journey

I have had scalp psoriasis since I was 8 years old and in May, 2013, I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. After considerable research, a consultation with a rheumatologist and a second opinion with another rheumatologist, I decided to try methotrexate for my early peripheral psoriatic arthritis. The current treatment plan is 7.5 mg taken orally every Friday evening after supper and 1 mg folic acid taken orally every morning.

I took the first dose this past Friday. The next 24 hours were fine, with no noticeable side effects. Saturday night around midnight I had a facial tic that kept me awake for a little while. Around 3 am I woke up feeling like the skin on my face and arms was on fire. That sensation lasted about 12 hours.

Today is day 3 and I feel fine and have had no other side effects. I am going to let my rheumatologist know about the burning skin episode and I will keep you posted on my methotrexate journey.

Interesting. Those sound like neuro effects. Definitely talk to the rheumy or nurse today. And good for your doctor for starting you early.

Message from rheumatologist: proceed with next dose and let us know how you feel on Monday. So, I took the 7.5 mg after supper last night and just like last week, so far no side effects.

My youngest daughter was diagnosed with insulin dependent diabetes at the tender age of 7. Doing fingersticks every 4 hours and taking up to 8 injections a day is no fun at any age, but really tough for a little kid. We also had to make quarterly trips from our home north of Baton Rouge, Louisiana to the endocrinologist in New Orleans. We decided with the first trip to make it special day for the whole family so that her experiences and memories of the quarterly trip would be fun ones. We would take the day off of work and she and her older sister would take the day off of school and we would spend the day in New Orleans, starting with coffee and beignets in the French Quarter followed by the doctor's appointment, then lunch at one of our favorite restaurants and some shopping. It was a blast and lots of good memories!

I am going to try to do something similar with Methotrexate Fridays. Last night I made a deep dish cookie pie (healthy style - no flour, dairy or eggs, but it does have brown sugar and vegan chocolate chips - yum!!). I am going to make sure I have some sort of special treat every Friday so that I can look forward to Fridays instead of dreading them. The psychology of the whole experience is so very important, and we really need to develop positive experiences at every opportunity.

Here's to a good weekend! Do something nice for yourself!

P.S. That was probably the best cookie I have ever had. It was like chocolate, gooey cookie brownies. I will be glad to post the recipe for any interested parties!