My doctor is urging me to combine Methotrexate and Humira....I'm not so sure

I self-inject 80 mg of Methotrexate weekly and have been doing so for about 4 months with mixed to limited success. Now, my doctor wants me to seriously consider adding Humira given that they are alleged to work well together. I'm concerned enough about the safety of Methotrexate, let alone Humira -- especially the warnings related to lymphoma, etc. It's not hard to find the some of the study research there -- in one, there were 10 lymphoma cases and 48 malignancies out some 2500 in the study - rare -- but real. I'm curious about anyone using both Humira and Methotrexate and what your experiences have been, and how folks feel about the risks these treatments present.

Hi, AlexisM

Welcome to our group. I'm sorry you've had to join the club, but we're glad you're here.

Your question is interesting. I gather that it's quite usual to combine a biologic with methotrexate. (I know there are several members here who take this combination.) What I do find a bit surprising is the amount of mtx you're taking: most of us are on 20 or 25 mg per week. Did your rheumatologist explain why such a high dose?

It will be interesting to see what the rest of the PsA gang have to say about this.

Seenie

Seenie, thanks for the welcome and quick feedback. I think I erred. At the risk of sounding really misinformed, "80" is the number on the syringe -- I assume cc....so I'm not sure of the equivalent in pill form. Seems the injection dose starts at 60 and can go to 100...sorry for the confusion. :)

Oh, OK ... that's a relief! LOL Are these pre-fills, or do you fill the syringes yourself? Somewhere on the label, you should be able to see how many mg you are getting in each injection. I'm guessing it's 20 or 25. I'll stop worrying about your poisoning yourself ...

I think I'm going to channel our 2Trees here: "Fear the disease, not the drugs." Yes, the medications have known risks, but make no mistake about it, this disease has the potential to do a lot of damage.

Seenie

The good news is that studies have decided better than two thirds of folks getting results with Humira get better results with MTX added. The bad news is most of the studies have been done with RA and not PsA. However MTX does prevent antibody production making the Humira work longer. 4 months in with biolgics is pretty early in. If you are getting results now, it should get better.

http://www.humira.com/ra/humira-and-methotrexate.aspx

That's very kind....thanks...yep...I fill myself so there's no poisoning going on, thank goodness! :)

Seenie said:

Oh, OK ... that's a relief! LOL Are these pre-fills, or do you fill the syringes yourself? Somewhere on the label, you should be able to see how many mg you are getting in each injection. I'm guessing it's 20 or 25. I'll stop worrying about your poisoning yourself ...

I think I'm going to channel our 2Trees here: "Fear the disease, not the drugs." Yes, the medications have known risks, but make no mistake about it, this disease has the potential to do a lot of damage.

Seenie

Thanks for this. That's helpful to know. It's hard to tell if I am getting results with the Methotrexate injections even after about 4 months -- as symptoms and pain have seemingly become worse at times. My situation seems complicated by a dual gout diagnosis -- so it's all a bit confusing. Thanks again for the valuable insight.

tntlamb said:

The good news is that studies have decided better than two thirds of folks getting results with Humira get better results with MTX added. The bad news is most of the studies have been done with RA and not PsA. However MTX does prevent antibody production making the Humira work longer. 4 months in with biolgics is pretty early in. If you are getting results now, it should get better.

http://www.humira.com/ra/humira-and-methotrexate.aspx

I know pain is the big thing Alexis, but it the last to go, it gets better and we don't know it...... What happens is one day you make two laps at Walmart without thinking about "are we done yet" and then one weekend you have a lot of fun with the fam and don't need a 3 hour nap. When that happens the rest starts to fall in place. They can start tweakin NSAIDS, maybe a few injections, maybe patches, maybe a predi burst, and its all better UNLESS when the weather changes, or the inevitable flares come and you let the foot connect with your butt.

Like I say it sneaks up on you. Grab it and realize you can fight this thing.

Wisdom is speaking to you, Alexis, and there will be more to come!

I have used Humira alone and with mth with fabulous results. It worked well until it stops working if that makes sense.

Hi Alexis

I can only speak for myself regarding your question. And yes the combination of Humira and MTX have worked well for me. I have had some relief for a number of years, and with this disease sometimes, that's all you hope for. Listen to your DR. closely and do what he tells you, you are both partners in this now. And the side effects and all the other information in the pamphlets is for your benefit to make the best informed decision for you. Just try and keep it all in perspective, ever read the side of a cereal box ? Stay Well .......Rich

Hi Alexis Hi am on 25mg of MtX weekly and 40mg humira every 2 weeks. My rheum says humira works best fro PsA in combo with 25mg MTX and all his patients are on 25mg MtX .

you are taking 20mg thats 80 on the syringe.

My liver counts have stayed the same they go up and down a point or two. As for SE's I have never had a SE from Humira. MTX in the begining yes but not now. I have been off Humira once for 5 weeks. OMG I hope to never have to go off again. I forgot how much pain I was in.

it works for me. it will be one year on June 21.

FYI I had results with MTX in 4 weeks and humira was in 12 hours. In 4 days after my first shot with humira I knew it was the drug for me.:)

theyhave disproved this study with the increase in lyphomas . Anyone on bio's has just as much chance as anyone else in develping the big C. What we really have to worry about it the lack of meaningful exercise and heart disease. Just ask Lamb that's how he got his diagnosis.

Hello trees,

What else is wrong with our lamb, as if PsA is not enough?

So glad to hear that you have found the right combination....that's terrific. Also glad to hear about the additional studies (any links to that data would be great!). I hear you on the exercise and eating portion of the program -- I'm really trying to stay active and eat well. Diet is a good topic for a future post. :)

2trees said:

theyhave disproved this study with the increase in lyphomas . Anyone on bio's has just as much chance as anyone else in develping the big C. What we really have to worry about it the lack of meaningful exercise and heart disease. Just ask Lamb that's how he got his diagnosis.

THANK YOU! That's very helpful feedback :)

tntlamb said:

I know pain is the big thing Alexis, but it the last to go, it gets better and we don't know it...... What happens is one day you make two laps at Walmart without thinking about "are we done yet" and then one weekend you have a lot of fun with the fam and don't need a 3 hour nap. When that happens the rest starts to fall in place. They can start tweakin NSAIDS, maybe a few injections, maybe patches, maybe a predi burst, and its all better UNLESS when the weather changes, or the inevitable flares come and you let the foot connect with your butt.

Like I say it sneaks up on you. Grab it and realize you can fight this thing.

How are you Alexis?

How are you doing, Alexis?