My 5 year biologic research drug study has ended

My study has ended. It wasn't perfect but it helped keep the psoriasis in easily covered places and did wonders for my arthritis. Now it has hit me like a brick wall. I'm going to see my dermatologist tomorrow but for insurance reasons can't see a rhemytologist until after the first of the year. I can't wait that long because I still have to work even though it would be so nice to stay in bed with the heating pad! I think he will put me on the metho. but last time it made me so queasy. Does anyone have any suggestions about something else to ask for or ways to help with the queasiness?

I know that some people have less nausea with the injectible form of MTX.

I couldn't tolerate MTX but can tolerate Arava (a once daily pill), which is a cousin to MTX and work in a similar way.

Yay the study helped so much! Boo that it ended and now you are suffering :(

Hang in there! Is it possible to see your general doc to get some NSAID's / pain meds / prescription for injectible MTX or Arava?

Same for me, I seem to be doing much better on leflunomide (Arava) than I did on MTX, both in terms of side effects and efficacy. Question- Were you advised to stay on folic acid with the Arava?

Thank You Marietta! I see him tomorrow and I'll ask about the injectible. It seemed like when I was on MTX I asked and for some reason he didn't have it available. Maybe the office had to do it... the first study I was on I gave myself the injections so maybe that won't be an issue. Is a NSAID something like Aleve; if so, it gives me a rash. This disease is so unfair! I itch but my fingers hurt so much I can't scratch!

Marietta said:

I know that some people have less nausea with the injectible form of MTX.

I couldn't tolerate MTX but can tolerate Arava (a once daily pill), which is a cousin to MTX and work in a similar way.

Yay the study helped so much! Boo that it ended and now you are suffering :(

Hang in there! Is it possible to see your general doc to get some NSAID's / pain meds / prescription for injectible MTX or Arava?

An NSAID is a non-steroid anti-inflammatory. There are TONS of different ones. Yes, Aleve is one. I am allergic to the ingredient in Aleve. But there are many more out there to try by prescription. I take Daypro right now.

The MTX is something you can inject at home. I unfortunately felt just as bad as on the oral stuff, but I think I am particularly sensitive to it. So it's amazing the Arava works for me since it is so similar. I have very few side effects from it too.

Stoney asked if I was advised to stay on folic acid with Arava and I was not. I keep forgetting to ask at the dr just to double check. I currently take B6, B12, D3, and Iron. I found that on the Arava I needed the Iron supplement. I wasn't testing anemic, but at the low end for iron. I felt really weak and the Iron helped with that once I had been on it about 6-8 weeks.

Atlmom said:

Thank You Marietta! I see him tomorrow and I'll ask about the injectible. It seemed like when I was on MTX I asked and for some reason he didn't have it available. Maybe the office had to do it... the first study I was on I gave myself the injections so maybe that won't be an issue. Is a NSAID something like Aleve; if so, it gives me a rash. This disease is so unfair! I itch but my fingers hurt so much I can't scratch!

Forgot to add atlmom, if your dr. gives you a presciption for an NSAID, you can fill just a week's worth to see if you have problem with it. I find when I'm drug hopping that not filling the whole presciption is easier because if it doesn't work out I don't have a huge bottle of pills to get rid of (and I don't feel as guilty about tossing them). It may be cheaper for you as well if you are paying out of pocket.

I take all my meds that didn't work to the drug disposal drop box at my city hall. My pharmacy no longer takes back meds for disposal, and they shouldn't go in the trash.

Oh I am so sorry you are having pain! Enbrel worked really well for me for about 4 years. I don't know if you need something that strong, but you could ask him.