MRI - should I stop meds beforehand

Hi all, I know that this is a decision for my Dr. However I am interested in hearing the wisdom of the group because I have got contradictory advice from two different rheumys.

This is my first MRI and I have waited 4 months (lucky really not a long wait compared to some). It is of my sacroiliac joints. I want to do all I can to make it count. My regular rheumy who is very experienced said I don't need to stop meds beforehand. However his Registrar, who I saw when regular rheumy away last year, told me to stop NSAIDS AND DMARDS and maybe panadol osteo too for two weeks beforehand. Anyone have any experience of this?

I have had some struggles with meds but currently taking 20mg methotrexate (which I inject in two 10mg doses over 24hr period otherwise it makes me too sick) and NSAID daily (Celebrex) and pandaol osteo twice daily. I am 6 weeks into the methotrexate so not yet at full benefit. Rheumy wants me on biologics and is hoping the MRI will support this as I don't fit neatly into the relevant eligibility boxes.

Hi Mac Mac. My rheumy ordered extremity MRIs and I was not counseled to change anything. But perhaps SI joints are different? Or perhaps your doc hopes that your pain and suffering will be more apparent without the DMARDs and anti-inflammatory meds (to make the need for biologics easier to establish)? Seems like a brutal suggestion to me but others may have differing opinions.

janeatiu- I'm glad that you had some sort of possible rationale. I was wracking my brains on this one and couldn't come up with any good answer.

That's as good an explanation as any I can think of too janeatiu! Thanks. Sounds like Stoney agrees too!