Major pain today

I am in so much pain today. Let me ask you guys something? My left arm was fine until I picked up something heavy with it last week, now it feels like my right arm which is damaged by this disease, is it possible that I damaged it? Also, whenever I do something strenuous like my job, screen printing which involves my hands and arms, the next day I am in major pain, is that normal?

Hope, this disease wanders around the body and can strike here, there and everywhere without warning. That’s one of the things that makes it hard to diagnose. And besides joints, there are tendons and ligaments that get inflamed, which will feel like muscle pain. So frustrating, isn’t it?
You’re a screen printer? Why did I think you were a vet tech? Or am I mixed up?

I am a vet tech but I also have my own business screen printing. I recently got that book everyone talks about, in the beginning of it, it talks about the RHFactor, can you explain that? I know after giving birth to my son 37 years ago, the doctor had to give me a shot relating to that.

Seenie said:

Hope, this disease wanders around the body and can strike here, there and everywhere without warning. That’s one of the things that makes it hard to diagnose. And besides joints, there are tendons and ligaments that get inflamed, which will feel like muscle pain. So frustrating, isn’t it?
You’re a screen printer? Why did I think you were a vet tech? Or am I mixed up?

LOL, a screen-printing vet tech, no wonder you ache!
The book, I think, talks about RA Factor, which is an indicator (although not such a reliable one)of Rheumatoid Arthritis. People with PsA don’t usually show it, although some (like me) have the RA factor, but actually have PsA. Mine is pretty low, though.
RH factor is the blood thing. People are either positive or negative.

Hi Hope, are you talking about the Rheumatoid factor?

Hi Hope, this happens to me all the time. If I over do it physically one day then the next day or few days is payback time and not always the limb or joint I overworked and I think (now I've read up a bit more) that I've also got alot of ligament/tendon/bursa enthesitis going on.

I was wondering about the muscles because in my right arm my muscles are killing me, in fact that’s how all of this started with my right arm hurting, there is damage in my right arm.

Jules said:

Hi Hope, this happens to me all the time. If I over do it physically one day then the next day or few days is payback time and not always the limb or joint I overworked and I think (now I’ve read up a bit more) that I’ve also got alot of ligament/tendon/bursa enthesitis going on.

Oh ok, I got these two confused.

Seenie said:

LOL, a screen-printing vet tech, no wonder you ache!
The book, I think, talks about RA Factor, which is an indicator (although not such a reliable one)of Rheumatoid Arthritis. People with PsA don’t usually show it, although some (like me) have the RA factor, but actually have PsA. Mine is pretty low, though.

RH factor is the blood thing. People are either positive or negative.

Easy enough to do! They even sound the same when you say them.

What’s the damage in your arm?

The joint in my elbow and all the muscles in it, feels really weird.

Seenie said:

Easy enough to do! They even sound the same when you say them.

What’s the damage in your arm?

I get wonky feeling joints when I overdo it or move in just the *wrong* way. Feeling weird doesn't mean there's damage - it probably means there's inflammation. Many of us get inflammation where muscles/ligaments/etc. attach to bone. That inflammation makes things feel like there's restricted motion or sometimes makes the join feel unstable - and usually causes pain. Muscle pain is also common with inflammation. I get a burning feeling and crampy pain- like the feeling your legs get when you run a long distance - just from picking up a basket of laundry some days.

I have constant pain in that arm where I can’t use it that much, it feels weak.

nym said:

I get wonky feeling joints when I overdo it or move in just the wrong way. Feeling weird doesn’t mean there’s damage - it probably means there’s inflammation. Many of us get inflammation where muscles/ligaments/etc. attach to bone. That inflammation makes things feel like there’s restricted motion or sometimes makes the join feel unstable - and usually causes pain. Muscle pain is also common with inflammation. I get a burning feeling and crampy pain- like the feeling your legs get when you run a long distance - just from picking up a basket of laundry some days.

Hi Hope,

I have dealt with something sounds very much like this, be careful to take time to get better. Even if it's a long time to get better.

I have found that trauma, even though small, can lead to the long, long pain if I keep using it and hurting it. Or I can rest it and warm it, ice it, baby it take my medicines on time and maybe it doesn't turn ugly.

I had a lot of tennis elbow trouble and it went on and on, because I just kept re-injuring it. Now at the first twinge of pain I take it easy and I recover better.

Good luck and so sorry you're dealing with pain

Thankfully, pain doesn’t mean that there is permanent damage. One can have pain like what you describe that lasts for a long while and is pretty consistent and then it will disappear or have it pop up somewhere else. I have “musical pains”! One month it will be my shoulder, the next it will be an elbow or a knee. These usually resolve with time and rest, but it takes a while, so sometimes it seems like it may be a more permanent problem. For sure, mention it to your doctor, especially if it becomes too much to manage. The doc can also determine if you need an xray to determine if there is damage present. Maybe an xray would ease your mind some? That weakness you describe is something I get too. For me, it’s related to inflammation causing irritation to a nerve. It’s really uncomfortable, but for me, it does go away. I try to be really careful which movements I use for my arms so that I don’t irritate those. When my inflammation is well controlled, I have less problems with the weakness and pain in those areas.

Doesn't inflammation cause damage? I'm confused...so how does the damage happen? I was under the impression the impression that persistent joint inflammation caused damage and that is why it's important to have aggressive treatment?

nym said:

I get wonky feeling joints when I overdo it or move in just the *wrong* way. Feeling weird doesn't mean there's damage - it probably means there's inflammation. Many of us get inflammation where muscles/ligaments/etc. attach to bone. That inflammation makes things feel like there's restricted motion or sometimes makes the join feel unstable - and usually causes pain. Muscle pain is also common with inflammation. I get a burning feeling and crampy pain- like the feeling your legs get when you run a long distance - just from picking up a basket of laundry some days.

That is comforting to know Grumpy. I have had brutal pain in my hips (sacroiliac joints) for a few months now,lower back, mid back and now the past few weeks its also shoulders and neck. The burning pain from activity has been happening since April and has pretty much moved to all joints now. Still waiting for it to ease up so I can get back to working on the ship. Hopefully it will disappear soon :-) Maybe, my body is in one big flare....that could be the difference from the flares I use to have to my current condition? The past flares would only last for approximately a week. I've been on the MTX since April and added the Sulfa in September. Maybe it hasn't kicked in yet? I do know when the inflammation increases the Celebrex certainly helps in taking it down. I thought it was important to get that inflammation down to avoid damage? I will discuss this more with my doctor when I see her next month.

GrumpyCat said:

Thankfully, pain doesn't mean that there is permanent damage. One can have pain like what you describe that lasts for a long while and is pretty consistent and then it will disappear or have it pop up somewhere else. I have "musical pains"! One month it will be my shoulder, the next it will be an elbow or a knee. These usually resolve with time and rest, but it takes a while, so sometimes it seems like it may be a more permanent problem. For sure, mention it to your doctor, especially if it becomes too much to manage. The doc can also determine if you need an xray to determine if there is damage present. Maybe an xray would ease your mind some? That weakness you describe is something I get too. For me, it's related to inflammation causing irritation to a nerve. It's really uncomfortable, but for me, it does go away. I try to be really careful which movements I use for my arms so that I don't irritate those. When my inflammation is well controlled, I have less problems with the weakness and pain in those areas.

For four months, I couldn’t get my wedding ring on. Finger felt odd, but not terribly painful. As I’d only had PsA for 18 months at that stage, and had found a med combination so good I called it remission, I assumed it was permanent damage and I’d never wear my wedding ring again (interesting pattern - not so easy to stretch). I spent a small amount of time being a bit sad, grieving.

Then suddenly a couple of months ago it was fine. Like it was when I bought the ring.

You know what? Hang it, I’ve wasted too much time grieving and not doing things because of the damage that might be there (or even is - according to X-rays).

My personal experience is that your body is actually capable of compensating for a lot of real damage. Your brain is even better at compensating for more. There is no question that when you need a tkr, you need one. But I’ve spent a bit of time jumping at shadows (and real shadows on X-rays!), and honestly, unless something’s really impeding my QOL, I’m going to assume its “just another thing…” (I felt like the ring was impeding my QOL in a big way - but it turned out I just needed to change how I felt)

This is what my rheumy told me. . . We don't worry when there is pain and inflammation in a joint that is short term. The worst damage gets done when inflammation settles into a joint and stays there. So yes, persistent joint inflammation can cause damage. Sometimes what feels really bad may be tendon related,in which case it can really hurt, but it's not necessarily doing damage, in the same way that the joint capsule inflammation can do.

TaraLynn said:

Doesn't inflammation cause damage? I'm confused...so how does the damage happen? I was under the impression the impression that persistent joint inflammation caused damage and that is why it's important to have aggressive treatment?

I think that’s right, Stoney. And the damage doesn’t happen overnight or even over a month. Long term inflammation means months and years, I think. I also think (now this is only my own opinion, based on my experiences) that once there is damage, further inflammation and damage accelerates. That seems to have been what happened to my hips and feet. But we are talking long term. New (and even excruciating) pain today doesn’t mean damage has occurred, especially if it’s soft tissue inflammation.
And all of this reinforces the importance of early diagnosis and a pro-active rheumatologist. Oops, there I am on my hobbyhorse again. :wink:

Stoney said:

This is what my rheumy told me. . . We don’t worry when there is pain and inflammation in a joint that is short term. The worst damage gets done when inflammation settles into a joint and stays there. So yes, persistent joint inflammation can cause damage. Sometimes what feels really bad may be tendon related,in which case it can really hurt, but it’s not necessarily doing damage, in the same way that the joint capsule inflammation can do.

TaraLynn said:

Doesn’t inflammation cause damage? I’m confused…so how does the damage happen? I was under the impression the impression that persistent joint inflammation caused damage and that is why it’s important to have aggressive treatment?

Thanks for the clarification Stoney :-) Most of my pain tends to be tendon and ligament related, so chances are no damage is happening then, just a painful annoyance. I have times where the inflammation does increase in the actual joints, however with the help of Celebrex over the course of a few days I'm able to get it down.

Stoney said:

This is what my rheumy told me. . . We don't worry when there is pain and inflammation in a joint that is short term. The worst damage gets done when inflammation settles into a joint and stays there. So yes, persistent joint inflammation can cause damage. Sometimes what feels really bad may be tendon related,in which case it can really hurt, but it's not necessarily doing damage, in the same way that the joint capsule inflammation can do.

TaraLynn said: