Lap Band Surgery and PSA

I have lost about 80 lbs. on my own through dieting in the past couple years. I still have a lot to lose and because my joints seem to just get worse and worse, I have been considering having Lap Band surgery. I would be interested in hearing the outcomes of other patients who have had the surgery and have PSA. I am leery of any surgery because of the many complications that people with auto immune illnesses can encounter.

Good for you! That’s a lot of weight. I’m curious though. . . .are you still eligible for weight loss surgery? It seems like your doctor would be the best to help you out with this. My thinking is that you would likely want to get the disease under control first, if possible.

Thanks for the support and the info!

Way to go! It’s so hard to make the changes that we need to when it comes to our comfort habits, so be proud of you.

I don’t have any stats to share with you, but some thoughts to share instead. If you are losing weight safely by diet and exercise, why not continue? One still has to put forth the work to lose weight with any of the bariatric surgeries. You would still need to learn the information that you are teaching yourself and the time to make those healthy eating and exercise behaviors habitual. It seems that you are doing things safely and effectively. It may take a little longer, but the long term health risks might be less in this situation. Certainly the risks for surgical complications are!

Have you tried any diet education either through a nutritionist or classes at your local hospital? These resources are great.

I was diagnosed with diabetes and went to classes with a nutritionist at the hospital, which is what started me on this weight loss initially. I do intend to try to continue losing regardless. I have lost enough now that I'm at a point where I need to go lower on my intake to lose more. I have been trying but cutting back even more has been very difficult. My joints are in such bad condition that I am able to very little exercise. The rehab Dr. they sent me to said he will not send me to therapy because it would do me no good. I guess I just keep thinking that if I lose more it will be easier to get around, although to be honest, after losing all the weight I have already, it has not helped. I know I need to push harder to find the answers I need medically but sometimes I just get tired of fighting. I love you all on this website for the caring and encouragement you have shown.

GrumpyCat said:

Way to go! It's so hard to make the changes that we need to when it comes to our comfort habits, so be proud of you.

I don't have any stats to share with you, but some thoughts to share instead. If you are losing weight safely by diet and exercise, why not continue? One still has to put forth the work to lose weight with any of the bariatric surgeries. You would still need to learn the information that you are teaching yourself and the time to make those healthy eating and exercise behaviors habitual. It seems that you are doing things safely and effectively. It may take a little longer, but the long term health risks might be less in this situation. Certainly the risks for surgical complications are!

Have you tried any diet education either through a nutritionist or classes at your local hospital? These resources are great.

Remember that some of your joint pain can be attributed to PsA. With good medication management hat can and will lessen.

If it’s not out of the realm financially, try finding an indoor pool that has nice warm water and exercise there instead of on land. Some insurances will cover PT in a warm therapy pool. That might help you get where you need to go, especially if cutting back on the dietary intake is problematic.

I wish you the very best, you are doing great!