Is it my imagination?

In 2011, I had a full time job as a nanny. While on my way to work I was rear ended by a flat bed truck. My car was totaled & I was diagnosed with a concussion. Almost immediately my blood pressure medication had to be increased. Since that time I have not been able to work full time. I was taking MTX prior to the accident. After trying enbrel I am now on remicade. I had to apply for social security disability & now use a handicap parking sticker as well as needing to have carpal tunnel surgery. To me it seems as if the accident caused my PsA to accelerate. Or is it in my imagination? Is it even possible?

Sorry for the progression that you are facing. I too have looked back in only a short period of time similar to yours, when I was shopping for a new motorcycle to now shopping for the best cane to use.

Anyway, back to your question. What may have happened is considered Deep Koebner Phenomenon. It's an interesting theory. Here is an article that discusses it. http://www.everydayhealth.com/health-report/psoriatic-arthritis/psoriasis-and-arthritis-connection.aspx

Well wishes for you

Livinday2day said:

Sorry for the progression that you are facing. I too have looked back in only a short period of time similar to yours, when I was shopping for a new motorcycle to now shopping for the best cane to use.

Anyway, back to your question. What may have happened is considered Deep Koebner Phenomenon. It's an interesting theory. Here is an article that discusses it. http://www.everydayhealth.com/health-report/psoriatic-arthritis/pso...

Very interesting article. I have never heard of this. I am just wondering if you have to have physical trauma to the skin such as a cut or scratch or does the trauma from a car accident apply. I will research this some more. Thanks so much for the info.

Well wishes for you

Thanks for positing this info. I read the article and it also talks about the genetic marker for PsA - it's a simple blood test and I want my daughter to be tested at some point.

Thanks !

Livinday2day said:

Anyway, back to your question. What may have happened is considered Deep Koebner Phenomenon. It's an interesting theory. Here is an article that discusses it. http://www.everydayhealth.com/health-report/psoriatic-arthritis/pso...

Well wishes for you

Interesting article. For me, trigger finger surgery 2 1/2 years ago stirred up trouble that has been pretty unrelenting.

Liz, it's so hard to figure out what may have happened with something like this. The accident may have stirred things up, or it may have caused injury to areas that the disease had previously weakened. Getting rear-ended is a whole-body experience. I was hit from behind a few years ago and could hardly believe the damage it did to my wrists and ankles.

I’m convinced an accident I was in 3 years ago was the trigger to my current situation. But I also think I have had symptoms for years prior. It wasn’t till recently I put 2 Ad 2 together . And pushed for the rheumatologist apt. As my primary care doctor didn’t connect the dots the same way I did. Turns out I was nfortunatly right.

10 years ago I was in remission while on Enbrel. I had zero symptoms as long as I took it. Then I needed emergency surgery. I have a massive flare after, and we've been struggling to get my disease under control since then.

I'm not sure it's true to everyone, but for many people find accidents, injuries, or even a traumatic / extremely stressful emotional event can trigger an immune system reaction.

“Genetic factors cannot fully explain an individual’s susceptibility to psoriatic arthritis. Environmental factors are probably involved, as in other complex diseases. It is likely that environmental factors trigger the illness in a genetically susceptible individual”. From Psoriatic Arthritis-The Facts

I'm glad the article can help shine some light and provide insight into other possibilities. Maybe it will provide answers for those where nothing specific has made sense in the past

Thank you all for your replies. After hearing from all of you I am more convinced now then ever that I am NOT imagining any of this. Again,Thank-you all!

This is interesting, however not surprising. Major events in life may trigger PsA symptoms.