Injections

Okay, I have to amend or add to my comment above. My new Doc gave me an injection and it hardly hurt! And I know they help from my last several experiences.
The foot Doc put the numbing stuff and the steroid all in one injection. She numbed it up first and then gave me second shot with the steroid. It seemed to be soooo much better. However, this shot was in an elbow joint vs. in my foot/bunion. Maybe feet are more sensitive. IDK

This is so frustrating. GEEEZE!!

Heres my 2 cents. have the injections.

Lots of things are going to hurt along the way including joints that could be helped by injections. The thing is lots of guys do them, most of them shouldn't. The standard NOW is that they be done by an interventionalist based on an MRI and using at the least ultrasound guidance. The med won't do you a bit of good in the wrong spot. Now the docs can GUESS where the problem area is and it likely will work, but that is pretty much limited to elbows, some knee issues and occasionally a shoulder.

Hell would freeze over before I'd let a podiatrist near me, and damn few orthos.

I'm with lamb, the interventional radiologist I had do my toe and shoulder was absolutely amazing .... less so the registrar rheumy who did my knees. Don't get me wrong, he took loads of time examining my knees and working out where to position the injection but without any sight of the inside of the joint and where the problem really was it was always going to be his best guess.

KellyD,
I’m sorry that you’re feeling frustratied. This disease is frustrating for sure! Just wanted to add: day 2 and the numbing agent has worn off and my elbow is feeling good. Not pain free but not a lot of pain reaction to the shot itself. So, good news. I can surely relate to your concerns. I had myself all ready for a bad reaction, but it didn’t happen! Best wishes on your decision! :slight_smile:

My MRI shows c2-3, c4-5, c5-6, c6-7, c7-t1, l4-5, l5-s1 all protrusions. My shoulder was obvious on x-rays but my hands, elbow’s and ankle are killing me. Monday I start aquatic therapy to try to get motion back in my shoulder and ankle. Finally got a referral to a rheumatologist, I decided it may be best to consult him before going to a pain management doctor because I heard they can manage the pain.

Good choice Kelly. I'm sure you know that "protrusions" unless a guy is trying to sell you a 100G worth of back surgery have absolutely no clinical significance. 60% of the population have them. of that 60% half have no back pain half do. Of the half that do half get better half don't. Of the half that get interventional treatment half get better half don't. 90% of folks working with a rheumie get sufficient relief, from routine treatment. BTW a GOOD pain management center will not treat you unless referred from an appropriate sub specialty anyway.

I really want to say THANK YOU to everyone. Y'all have made me feel normal again. I am so used to being extremely active and have always had a very high tolerance for pain and now I'm finding that tolerance is what has but me in this position. I really wish I would have listen to my body three years ago when I knew something was not quite right...but here I am today. I am taking in all the info that y'all have provided me from your own experiences and coming up with a plan. Again, I greatly appreciate everyone's support for the NEWBIES.

You are so welcome, Kelly! Most of us here remember only too well what it’s like to struggle with this condition right after a diagnosis. We were all newbies once. It was the guidance and the feedback of people on this very board that got me pointed in the right treatment direction. They encouraged me, and yes, they were uncomfortably blunt as well some of the time. My disease is now controlled, and one of my greatest pleasures is to be able to give back by supporting others with PsA, particularly the newbies who are still shell-shocked by the whole thing.
Hang with us, Kelly, to build the support network we all need!

I have had both knees done and had good results.