Improved Blood Test Results

Well I received some interesting blood results back from my recent visit to the Rheumy.

My ESR and CRP had been gradually trending up over the past 9 months since my first blood tests after a PsA flare.

In this test January 31, 2011 the CRP dropped from 13 in December 2011, to below the reference range. ESR which was 10, dropped to 7. All bloods were taken at same pathology.

The only thing I had changed in medical treatment, was the introduction of Minomycin from 29th December 2011.

I also had a second set of bloods done at a different pathology and they also came up with the same low levels.

I missed my anti inflammatory on Friday night, then Saturday night I had a few drinks for my Wife's 30th and skipped it again, then on Sunday I was still feeling ok so I missed it again.

Anyway it is Tuesday night and I haven't had my Naproxen for 5 days and the usual pain and soreness just hasn't come back like it has when I have missed just one dose. I still have sore swollen joints, mostly my 2nd toe, left knee and SI stiffness, but I am getting around with reduced pain and discomfort compared to late last year.

I am also taking Astaxanthin, Krill Oil and Zyflamend. I introduced the Zyflamend a few weeks ago and possibly it is working in reducing the pain levels, but surely it could not reduce ESR or CRP. Even if it is the Zyflamend reducing the pain, if it is manageable on that without taking Anti Inflams I will be a very happy guy!

Also it has been a stressful time the past few weeks. Good stress as I have purchased a new house (Single level instead of the multi storey townhouse I have been renting), but of course packing and moving is not an appealing thought at any time, let alone with PsA and I am really surprised that things would improve at a time like this!

Anyway I am really hoping that the improved blood results will continue to stay low and that the joint inflammation continues to reduce.

Who knows, it could flare right back up again, but it feels great to give the body a break off the anti inflam meds and feel some hope that I am getting some results from the antibiotic therapy.

Dave

It's really great to hear when someone has found some relief from the pain..hopefully it will not flare again.

Are the meds you're taking all natural or were they prescribed for you? I take Methotrexate 1 day a week, 3 pills in the am and 3 pills in the pm. I have found it gives me some relief from the pain and when I missed taking it one week I thought I could skip it until the next week. No way...from Sat. to Wed. I was in so much pain that when I took all my other meds, including the Metho, it all came back up in the late afternoon. UGH! Started the Meth right away and feel much better now. For some reason I am losing weight (no appetite, or very little). Have a terrible pain in my right shoulder off and on...usually after I get off from work and sit in my recliner or wherever, and start to relax. Meds don't seem to have any effect on the shoulder...it wakes me up off and on during the night or whenever I am napping. My husband tells me I moan in my sleep most of the night. Well enough about me....I hope you remain as you are forever. NO PAIN!!!!!

Christain

Well I am not "No Pain" but I have definitely seen an improvement which I had not previously seen since my diagnosis last year.

I have avoided Meth so far so and I cant comment on its effectiveness or on how often to take it, I just felt it is not yet the right time for me to go down that path. Doing my best to explore every other angle before I submit to the permanent meds.

I had an appointment with an Immunologist the other day who did testing and suspects I have Sjogrens and I am having a scan tomorrow to find out for sure.

He also suspects Salicylate Sensitivity and referred me to a Dietician. I have had Chronic Sinus issues most of my adult life and he believes it is possibly due to Sjogrens.

I saw her today I am going on a low salicylate diet for the next few weeks to see if it is an issue for me. I was told today by the dietician that up to 80% of Sjogrens and a high number of Arthritis sufferers have Salicylate sensitivity. Anyway I can try the diet for the 2 week trial and if I get no improvement then I can rule that out.

The minomycin was prescribed from a doctor who was referred to me from "The Road Back Foundation" website. Most rheumy's are unlikely to prescribe it. If it is a path you are willing to pursue you definitely want to do it under medical supervision from someone who is experienced.

I feel I am in the early stages and not in as much acute pain as most of you, so I am willing to take my time and pursue all options. It is a long painful process of elimination to see which medications work, what dietary changes work, which doctors work :) I am seeking to get to the root cause of the inflammation and still cannot accept it is just a genetic thing that I cannot do anything about.