I need to vent. sigh

In January of this year I moved 700 miles north of where I used to live because my husband couldn't find a job where we used to live and I had to quit my job because I could no longer effectively and reliably continue to work because of my PsA. I went back "home" to my Rheumy and GP once since then because I hadn't found a doctor "up North" and I needed to get a Remicaide infusion. At that last appointment my Rheumy switched me back to Enbrel because I couldn't afford to get the infusions anymore. He wrote me my lovely and usual compliment of scripts for Vicodin 7.5 (although they were becoming less and less effective and I probably should've gone up to the 10.0), MTX, Folic Acid, Diclofenac, etc. etc. He also, in a fit of horrified amazement at the state of the muscles in my back, wrote me a script for a muscle relaxer and a "tide-me-over" prescription for steroids since I was flaring rather out of control (and wrote me enough so that if I continued to flare or flared again in the interim of finding another doctor I was covered). My G.P wrote me a script for insomnia and an extra one (undated) for a broad spectrum antibiotic as a tide-me-over in case I got an infection while trying to find a new doc. In the meantime, my GP's office manager changed their "policy" so that I can no longer call in and talk to a doctor - or even a nurse. All patients must be seen in order to talk with a doctor. my GP used to be so awesome! I could call anytime day or night and get a hold of him. He would call me back between patients because he got that I only called if it was truly necessary because I respect him and his time. His wife has an autoimmune disorder. He understands. But now I can't talk to him. My (old) Rheumy was also awesome. A member of doctors without borders....he was really into the whole "I'm a doctor. It is my life's mission to heal people." But his office staff are morons. So I am cut off from medical advice. Grrrr.

Had a TERRIBLE time finding a doc in my new state that would even see me because 98% of docs here do not see uninsured patients. So I went doctorless until this month. January - October is a very long time to go without a doctor - especially for those of us with the dastardly PsA and who are on biologics!! But, I digress....

So I found this free clinic...and they were awesome. Their entire purpose is to help people with no insurance deal with chronic illnesses. They were kind. They were understanding. They took me seriously. All those things I worried about because my old docs KNEW me and KNEW I wasn't a whining layabout who only wanted drugs. Only drawback (and yes, I'm getting to the point of my rant now) the doc at the clinic refused to write a script for any pain medication or muscle relaxers. He said it was because pain meds and muscle relaxers only mask the symptoms and encourage people to harm themselves more (SNORT). Except I only take them at night, which gives me just enough of a breather from the pain and muscle spasms to let me actually get a few hours of sleep. Believe me, I get it. I'm sure he is inundated with "patients" who try to wriggle around the system and get a doc to write scripts for pain meds they don't actually need. I truly understand. Logically. Really, I do.

BUT I HURT! The muscles in my back are so spasmed I can barely sit in one position for more than a few seconds on some days. If I actually try to (god forbid!) stretch....it is BAD. The pain has gotten so bad I can barely move out of my recliner. My days revolve around whether or not I can actually bend over enough to plug in the heating pad. I really really really try to stay positive, and I succeed more days than not. But I don't know what to do. I can't call my old GP. The new GP won't write the scripts that I truly do need to treat the symptoms of my disease. And my old Rheumy....well....I'm a little unsure of my reception if I were to call them to beg for help. What to do.....what to do. I was so desperate for some relief that I went to the pharmacy at Walmart (the guy looked at me like I was nuts) to ask them if there was anything I could get over the counter that would help with the muscle spasms. I already knew the answer, but was praying that maybe somewhere someone had released something that might work. Nope.

So now I sit at home and try to do the normal "housewife" stuff. Most days...not so much. I try not to snap at my husband and my son. Most days....not so successful. I desperately try not to do anything that will make anything worse. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, sent the postcard. Not even a nice place to visit. I DO NOT want to end up back in the hospital for severe muscle spasms, but I am terrified that is the direction things are going. Anyway....enough with the whining. I just really needed to get this off my chest so I don't march into my son's bedroom and verbally flay him about avoiding doing the dishes tonight because...he just doesn't feel like it. And so I don't march into our bedroom and scream at my husband (who is laying down and reading because he has a headache) because he isn't making my son do the dishes. ARGH! When did I become this self-involved harridan?????

The use and abuse of pain medication has many doctors running scared. One solution may be to talk to your new clinic about setting up a pain contract with them. You may have to agree to a urine test to set this up, and they can limit where you pick up your pain meds/which pharmacy you use/whoelse can prescribe meds. This way the office knows you're not selling pills or doctor hopping for pain pills (I'm absolutely NOT suggesting you are!) so they will be more comfortable prescribing what you need.

After having typed all that, I do agree that it is B*LLSH!T to treat people who need pain meds like this. I do think, though, that doctors are being cracked down on by the agencies who oversee them for over-prescribing. Case in point a friend's father who runs a rural oncology office who was told that he had to limit the amount of pain meds he prescribed as he was way over the average for the other offices in the ares. Yeah. Oncology. Where people are being treated for terminal illness. Go figure that!! Bureaucracy will kill us all.

I understand just how you feel . I earned my name and it has been a terrible search to find what was killing me. I was pustular for two years and nearly died and the doctor that had replaced my original diagnosis GP didn't agree with the diagnosis. I have Guttate psoriasis and I have had diagnosed RA since I was 14. I'm now 55. I lost my childcare business, all of my income and most of my family thinks I'm playing a game. I have state insurance and I can't even get to a new reumy until all of the records can be coordinated so he can look them over and decide if he will treat me. I have a derm who hates my GP. And I had to go to a Drug study in order to get all of the labs and x-rays to confirm a two year old diagnosis. My new GP is an pac and doesn't believe me because she has not seen my psoriasis flared. I was pustular over 90 percent of my body and dying of loss of electrolytes when I finally received treatment... a steroid, the wrong one, it could have killed me my Derm said when I told him. That was taken care of by another DR. at a clinic when I had no insurance. No one bothered to transfer my records for six months despite repeated requests. I also had a mental health counselor tell me I was a Hypochondriac when my eyes tested as positive for Glaucoma last Feb. Needless to say I had a few things to say to him

So any way , I hear you loud and clear.Try to remember there are topicals for really bad days to help you cope, a little aspercream and a cup of tea go a long way to warmer if nothing else.I live fairly far north, about fifty miles from the Canadian border and there are times I cry to see winter coming, no matter how much the skiers love it. Stay warm and I hope the sun is shining there today:)

P.S. IF YOU HAVE MOM CAVE HIDE FOR A LITTLE WHILE. IF YOU DON'T- SERIOUSLY CONSIDER FINDING A LITTLE SPACE FOR YOU:) IT HELPS KEEP THE BLOW UPS TO A MINIMUM. I HAVE SIX KIDS,GROWN NOW BUT I HEAR YOU.

Venting is always good. Wish I had advice to give you, sounds like you are in a really frustrating and tough spot! hugs :slight_smile: