I Need help. It's been a year w/o a diagnosis and my symptoms are getting worse

Hi, It’s been a year since my Rhuemy said that if I had PsA it’s mild, take NSAIDs and call your fam. dr. if a joint gets red, hot and swells up. My pain has gotten worse and rom is worse, but no red hot joints. I’m worried that damage is happening and my docs are ignoring me bc they might not understand or believe I really have PsA. What do you people think I should do?

Find a rheumatologist who will take you seriously. Not everyone gets joint damage, but if you do, it can't be reversed. PsA can be like that. It can start mild and get worse. Maybe your current one will see you again?

My PSA has no red joints, or swelling. I totally get you! A Rheumy should know this!?!?!? I was originally on naproxen, and it did NOT keep the pain/inflammation at bay. Clearly the naproxen wasn't enough- so they put me on methotrexate and sulfasalzine.

For me- the enthesistis part of the disease is most active- so I fare at the insertion points of the tendon to the bone. Not a lot of swelling IN the joint capsule- but just as much pain and immobility. In fact right now even though I am on 2 DMARDS, if I try to go BACK on my naproxen I flare terribly. A sign that the inflammation is not under control. Hang in there- don't second guess yourself cause you have no "visible" swelling.

Get a new rheumy and push your family Dr. to get you in urgently! Good luck!!!

A few years ago my situation got much worse and I got a second opinion. I went to a highly recomended expert who saw me, listened to my complaints, added fibromylagia to my list of DX's and told me not to come back because there was nothing she could do for me more than my Rheumy already was doing and said I was wasting her time. After that it took several years for me to switch to a better doctor who knows his stuff and now I'm in remission!

I agree with Andrew, and keep searching until you find a dr. who will take you seriously, or you could try out changing your diet and natural medicines. (changing my diet has helped me a lot with pain, brain fog, energy and more...)

Yes, I could go see her again, but I guess I’m not feeling like I want to see her. She made a comment that I should go see an orthopedic doc. about the pain in my knee and it sometimes just “lets go”. It makes me wonder if that means that she doesn’t think it is PSA. Thanks for replying Andrew.

Andrew said:

Find a rheumatologist who will take you seriously. Not everyone gets joint damage, but if you do, it can’t be reversed. PsA can be like that. It can start mild and get worse. Maybe your current one will see you again?

Thank you Cocoloco.

Cocoloco53 said:

My PSA has no red joints, or swelling. I totally get you! A Rheumy should know this!?!?!? I was originally on naproxen, and it did NOT keep the pain/inflammation at bay. Clearly the naproxen wasn’t enough- so they put me on methotrexate and sulfasalzine.

For me- the enthesistis part of the disease is most active- so I fare at the insertion points of the tendon to the bone. Not a lot of swelling IN the joint capsule- but just as much pain and immobility. In fact right now even though I am on 2 DMARDS, if I try to go BACK on my naproxen I flare terribly. A sign that the inflammation is not under control. Hang in there- don’t second guess yourself cause you have no “visible” swelling.

Get a new rheumy and push your family Dr. to get you in urgently! Good luck!!!

Thanks Emu

Emu said:

A few years ago my situation got much worse and I got a second opinion. I went to a highly recomended expert who saw me, listened to my complaints, added fibromylagia to my list of DX’s and told me not to come back because there was nothing she could do for me more than my Rheumy already was doing and said I was wasting her time. After that it took several years for me to switch to a better doctor who knows his stuff and now I’m in remission!

I agree with Andrew, and keep searching until you find a dr. who will take you seriously, or you could try out changing your diet and natural medicines. (changing my diet has helped me a lot with pain, brain fog, energy and more…)