How to Be Kind to Yourself Even With a Chronic Illness

Here you go! Here is a Rattler from the desert at 29 palms where we have a retreat. It is the season! I think this is a “Sidewinder” they go sideways when they move.
Pretty snake!

1 Like

Jealous / not jealous! Few years back I sat down to eat my sandwiches on a cliff near Durdle Door. When I stood up an adder slithered away from where I’d been sitting. Their bite can be lethal in theory but seems they’re so gentle they’ll tolerate the weight of a stupid human.

Must be a whole different mindset living alongside dangerous animals. Adders have nearly been hated & strimmed to extinction in the UK.

Feeble attempt to put thread back on track: enjoy any glorious animals that come our way. I used to hide the respect I feel for animals to some extent - it seemed soppy. These days I don’t do that.

3 Likes

Jon, thank you so much! I have lovely memories of the beautiful desert in Arizona, a spectacular enormous cactus tree with purply buds against the sunset sky, some place you are living in!

1 Like

I was out in the Borrego desert and was doing some cleaning at the place I was staying, when I got up, I noticed I had plopped down Right on a scorpion and squished him flat! I was a little heavier back then, the poor thing had no chance to sting me, I quickly vacuumed him up!

3 Likes

Actually I think all this is bang on the thread given its title ‘how to be kind to yourself…’
I certainly wouldn’t be being kind to myself with a chronic illness unless I incorporated first having pets in my life and secondly ensuring I’m out in nature daily observing that.

3 Likes

That reminds me, I better let the cat in…
Buster having his 10:30pm snack…

2 Likes

what a sweetie, am going to get a pet from the city doghouse as soon as my flat will allow it

2 Likes

Scorpions are hard to love right? Though I think this thread is an enclave of folk who would manage that!

1 Like

When I was in San Blas, Mexico the locals used to catch them and pull off the stinger, then play with them…

2 Likes

Having a dog makes me laugh every day. Totally guaranteed. Having any pet does the same. My two cats did likewise. I just love their take on life. It’s all about living in the present which frankly makes life a lot more fun.

1 Like

True, adore animals. Will definitely follow your example as soon as possible. Current situation is calling for a need to change, also setting if at all possible, back to natural roots as so many of you have been clever enough to do.

1 Like