Great book on being sick

I just finished reading "How To Be Sick" by Toni Bernhard and I highly recommend it to all PsA sufferers and to those who live with and care for a person struggling with a chronic illness. At its core the book is a recognition of the many physical and mental changes faced by those with a chronic illness. It also offers insights on how to accept and accommodate the changes in our lives in a positive and peaceful way. While based on ancient Buddhist traditions, this is not a book about how to become a Buddhist. It is a book that uses ancient wisdom to offer relief and comfort to those who need it.

As I've written before, suffering is part of the human condition. Finding ways to live a happy life in the face of daily suffering--be it physical or emotional--is one of life's hardest lessons. In this book the author offers meaningful reflections and experiential practices to help chronic illness sufferers get through the toughest days of physical pain and rise out of the mire of mental anguish. The book made me think and I made lots of notes while reading it. I know I will revisit it to learn some of the practices and make them my own. I hope you'll give it a read.

You can find the book at all the usual places online.

How To Be Sick

I’ve been battling a cold for a few days, which is generally nothing to most people, but can sideline people like us. Decided to download the book tonight as I was getting bored in bed, and nothing stimulating on TV. I am already half way through and found I am reading my story, except she copes much better than I! Same craziness of picking up a bug that caused the triggers for where I find myself today. I know I am lucky that my meds make me able to be a participant rather than a spectator in my life. Just not as active as I used to be.

I have highlighted a number of passages to refer back to. While I am a Christian, this disease has me looking at Buddhism as a way for me to find peace, to learn to quiet my mind. I’ve read a few books now, and have regular discussions with a Buddhist friend. She seems to have ground an inner peace that I lost when these diseases took hold.

Thank you for the recommendation.

CandiP--you make an excellent point about the sense of inner peace that can be lost so easily when we face the daily turmoil of illness. And I agree that the ancient wisdom upon which this book is based transcends all faith traditions. The tools suggested are appropriate for everyone--religious and not--in finding a way back to well-being.

Sawa this at the library the other day, think I';ll give it a read.

Our Jane! I had just been looking at this book and wondered if it was any good. Thanks for such a timely review!