How much longer is this drought going to last?

I've been on methotrexate since last September. When there was no sign of improvement after five months, the doc added hydroxychloroquine and sulfasalazine. Three months later, no improvement ... groan. I don't mind taking the drugs so much, but what I really DO mind is not being able to have a glass of wine or a beer. Just sayin'.

How much longer is this drought going to last? I'm dying for a nice cool glass of chardonnay!

Well in the meantime:

http://www.arielvineyards.com/wines.html

The Chardonnay is actually pretty good (although I like it a bit smokier)

Seems like a good solution!

Love those labels tnt -- they look like a really classy pour! I'm in Canada, though, and I doubt I'd be able to get them, but I'll have a look.

What I'd really like is for them (that would be my docs) to say "ditch this mtx that doesn't seem to be working".

It's a long story... I'm actually the poster girl for moderation. Years ago, I was diagnosed with Meniere's syndrome, and one of the pieces of advice was to be very careful with alcohol consumption. So I decided to drink quality rather than quantity. That led to an interest in wine, and eventually I did wine studies part time at college (a long, tough haul) and got my sommelier diploma. Never really worked in hospitality, but I would do wine appreciation classes and tastings from time to time. When I retired, I started doing wine events for charity fundraisers. What a great way of doing community volunteer work, LOL! But the joy has gone out of doing this: every sip gets spat, and every spit reminds me of this nasty disease. I really just want to be able to relax, do my entertaining volunteer work and enjoy a glass of fine wine.

I hate this disease. It makes me tired, I've lost my mobility, and I can't even kick back with a glass.

Thanks for listening.

I hear you....I havn't been able to have a drink of anything because of meds since 2002.....on pain meds originally from my spinal fracture/fusion surgery and now the chronic pain from it and now the newly diagnosed PsA. I guess I could drink if I really wanted to, but I don't think it is recommended with the type of meds I am on. Sucks so much.!!!

Seenie said:

Love those labels tnt -- they look like a really classy pour! I'm in Canada, though, and I doubt I'd be able to get them, but I'll have a look.

What I'd really like is for them (that would be my docs) to say "ditch this mtx that doesn't seem to be working".

It's a long story... I'm actually the poster girl for moderation. Years ago, I was diagnosed with Meniere's syndrome, and one of the pieces of advice was to be very careful with alcohol consumption. So I decided to drink quality rather than quantity. That led to an interest in wine, and eventually I did wine studies part time at college (a long, tough haul) and got my sommelier diploma. Never really worked in hospitality, but I would do wine appreciation classes and tastings from time to time. When I retired, I started doing wine events for charity fundraisers. What a great way of doing community volunteer work, LOL! But the joy has gone out of doing this: every sip gets spat, and every spit reminds me of this nasty disease. I really just want to be able to relax, do my entertaining volunteer work and enjoy a glass of fine wine.

I hate this disease. It makes me tired, I've lost my mobility, and I can't even kick back with a glass.

Thanks for listening.

Suck it does, Dani. It's a simple pleasure, a glass of something ... I don't ask for much.

Seenie

dani7865 said:

I hear you....I havn't been able to have a drink of anything because of meds since 2002.....on pain meds originally from my spinal fracture/fusion surgery and now the chronic pain from it and now the newly diagnosed PsA. I guess I could drink if I really wanted to, but I don't think it is recommended with the type of meds I am on. Sucks so much.!!!

Seenie said:

Thanks for listening.

How awful....... About 6 years ago as this thing really starting taking off (actually it had gone to my heart) in my life My wife and I took our "dream trip" to the Mediterranean. My nephew made arrangements for us on the cruise line for which he is an exec. We were invited to a special wine tasting ( I'm a bit of a" wine snob") Opus I was one of the opening "salvos" But anyway the sommelier was a Chech who currently held the world title for wine tasting. I didn't even know there was pro tour. I determined a new retirement goal :-) I always wanted to be a pro at something. Anyway it was a great event except for a little problem with his accent - Each time he talked about swirling the wine it came out Swill the wine. needless to say no spit got spat.

I make jokes about drinking but not so much either. I recently gave up my membership in the Keats Club. It was local charity club of men who would bring a "special" bottle of single malt scotch for tasting while some of the local university students recited Keats poetry. We all pitched in to reimburse for the tasting stock and the rest was used for a local cause. It was great fun.

But like you its those things that I can't do anymore that bother me more than the "disease its self" That occasional glass IS one of the advantages of the Biologics. How long do you have to give the MTX a go? BTW IF the offer you a biologic Start with Enbrel if you can. The have found that an MTX regime is necessary with Humira to keep your body from developing antibodies. so you would be right where you are now. An occasional glass of wine is okay with Enbrel (and maybe Simponi)

Anyway if you can't get the "wine up there I'm sure I could find a way to send it to you Its all done over the net.....

Seenie said:

Thanks for listening.

Tnt, you nailed it: But like you its those things that I can't do anymore that bother me more than the "disease its self" That's exactly it. The pain and deformity I can deal with (I guess), but I feel like this disease is a thief that has stolen what's really precious to me: my love of walking and travel, my enjoyment of wine, my love of teaching.

I lapped up your story about "swilling". Hilarious! There's a line I will be able to use! Except I'm not doing any gigs at the moment. Ugh.

Yes, I will jump at the chance to take a biologic -- I will be able to have an occasional glass of wine, and the treatment may actually work. Part of my anger and frustration with all of this is that there is no upside for my abstinence. I take mtx, but it's not doing me any good. If I were pain-free and feeling well, I'd be able to look at a bright side of the deprivation.

That's what I like about this board. People "get it" and reach out. Thanks!

Seenie