HLA B27 Testing

Hi everyone,

I have been tested recently for HLA B27 antigen and it has come back as present ie positive.

I was wondering who else has been tested.

I’m not sure what it means other than I most definitely have PsA?

I was checking this since everyone seems to mention it… but it seems it’s not just PsA that is HLA-B27 positive… it’s all the spondyloarthritis

Did they do an antigen test for you? I only read about the genes…

https://books.google.nl/books?id=EXGrAAAAQBAJ&pg=PA314&lpg=PA314&dq=hla+b27+b60+gene&source=bl&ots=FY89fZvj-f&sig=28zzu3O05-yqGQ3__2gRtwsF_Hk&hl=nl&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiU7OrOj4rSAhVkLsAKHXJgC_8Q6AEITzAH#v=onepage&q=hla%20b27%20b60%20gene&f=true

Check out chapter 41 there’s a paragraph about PsA as well

1 Like

I think it is just used as an indicator for a disease that is diagnosed on indications. I don’t think the test is done very often in the UK though I’d like it just out of interest.

Interesting link Cynthia. It says HLA B27 is more prominent amongst Scandinavians and the Inuit. I’ve heard that before. I’ve always blamed the Vikings for gifting PsA to the world, they really got around.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info Cynthia! It’s very interesting.

The test I believe was for the gene but they called it antigen present. I’m going to see Dr this week so I will ask.

I was also interested to know the status for myself and my 4 children.

They don’t do the test routinely here either, but rheumy said if it’s positive then it gives more clarity to the uveitis problems I’ve been having.

As an aside, I’ve got my first Humira injection today. Wish me Luck!

Woohay! Good luck, I hope it helps LOADS.

1 Like

How great is that! I hope you get a response, and quickly. We’ve had some members that have felt better within days, and (more commonly) others for whom the improvement is gradual, over several months.

Best of luck to you, Koala!

1 Like

Good luck!

1 Like

Good Luck! Let us know how it goes :blush:

1 Like

Having a little trouble reading and typing today - however…

First, good luck with the Humira and keep us updated.

Second, I also got tested for the gene early on and it came back negative. From my understanding of it, people with the gene are more likely to suffer from reactive or psoriatic arthritis, but it’s definitely not a guarantee either way.

1 Like

Thanks guys.

First injection went well, I did it myself and it was easy and painless. Just a little stinging afterwards for a minute or two.

Now to wait to see if it works!!

3 Likes