Hi, I'm new here, and new to any chat sites

Was finally diagnosed with PSA, and have been struggling with coming to terms with what that entails. As I'm sure you all have. I didn't even know I had psoriasis, let alone PSA. My mother had the plaque type of psoriasis (and PSA), so I thought it was the only type..nope! My eczema is psoriasis..determined by a dermatologist when two toenails fell off and the others turned a disgusting brown, crumbly mess. Anyway, as you can tell, am still a bit in shock. Have also been struggling with meds. I'm in Canada, and I don't know if we have a different system than those of you in USA, but the standard procedure here is plaquenil (also have osteo), and now Methotrexate. I cannot take NSAIDS as they take me on a crazy ride into hypomania..yes, rare, but documented side effect. Ya, anyway, that's me. Was a very active person, hiking, biking, running..and do not have the energy I did before. Lucky if I can do any of those most days. Sucks!

Welcome to the group! As you already know, meds can take a while to work and to get on top of the symptoms. In terms of the energy, I remember that stage well. When the plaquenil started working, it had a major improvement in my energy levels. I still have fatigue, but I can do most of the things that I want to, including biking, hiking and running. Hopefully you will be able to get back to a better level soon.

Take a look at the new to PsA section. There's some great information about the gap, as well as people's stories. Mine is included there.

Hi there, Waterbug! I’m the Canadian Moderator here, so nice to meet you! Our medical system is very different from that of our US friends (but not so different from our UK and Australian members). The protocol for treating PsA is more or less the same wherever we are. Docs usually start with Methotrexate and/or a DMARD, and then see how you do. After that, depending on the severity of your disease, they may cycle you through some other DMARDs. If that doesn’t bring improvement, there will most likely be the discussion about biologics.
As Stoney says, a good place to start here is the Newbies’ Guide section, which you will find under DISCUSSION. And ask lots of questions! That’s what we’re all here for.
Welcome here, Waterbug! I hope that you find this a good place for support and information.

Thanks stoney…I’ve been on Plaquenil for at least 6 months, and it was OK. Its the methotrexate that is sapping my energy. But its great to hear that you’re back running, hiking etc. It gives me a lot of hope. Thank you.

It is a shocker--and depressing when you know you have a disease that is crippling you! Idk much about plaquenil-just found out a cousin is on it for RA. I never got methotrexate, but went straight to Enbrel. Idk if your mom had taken a biologic for her psoriasis, but I went to a dermatologist rather than my rheumatologist to get started on Enbrel.....it's been great! I'm a rare lucky person because I had relief from a lot of my aches, and that weak and tired feeling was gone after the first injection! It's not doing much for my psoriasis yet, but just having more energy is the best feeling in the world.

Good luck--know there is hope to feel better!!!!

It does s-u-c-k! (I work with kids so I spell "bad" words, and my Mom hated this word when I was a teenager). BUT, there is hope with the medications! So sorry that you have been diagnosed with this too.

Welcome to our group. I’m so glad that you chose our group for your first online community to join. Now you will find that any other online community enjoying will just not live up to your expectations. We set the bar pretty high here!:slight_smile: Not that I am biased in anyway!
Anyway enough silliness I’m glad that you’re here and know that you will find the support you need. Right after diagnosis is the hardest time, and this site helped me make the adjustment.