Hi from Delaware! I'm new here

I’m 35 years old, and mom to an almost five year old.

I just found this board as I was having a pity party - just diagnosed with pneumonia and mild cellulitis on my finger, and have had bacterial conjunctivitis for the last two months that I can’t seem to shake. Reading all your stories the last hour or so head made me feel much less alone.

So here is my story:

The summer of 2014 I was out jogging and suddenly felt severe aching in my left SI joint (though I didn’t know that joint name at the time). It gradually improved with Ibuprofen over the next few days, but returned the next time I went for a jog. Over the next few weeks I developed chronic aching mixed in with stabbing pains in my buttocks and groin, and was diagnosed by my OB with a subloxated symphisis pubis joint (front part of my pelvis).

Over the next seven months, I went regularly to a chiropractor, who sometimes felt like she was helping and sometimes like she was hurting. Starting in January, I developed much more of a pronounced limp, and frequently would have to stop walking and sit down, or get stuck crouching down beside a student’s desk and have to be pulled to my feet.

I visited a GP who ruled out RA and diagnosed me with thyroid deficiency and Mono, but didn’t manage to get me walking. I went to an orthopedic surgeon, who sent me to physical therapy and gave me a steroid injection in my SI joint. I continued seeing a chiropractor. Everything worked sometimes, until it didn’t.

I started feeling searing pain in my left buttock, SI, and leg any time I walked. I lost the ability to balance on my left leg and put my pants on, and to bring a chair into the closet so I could get dressed in the morning unassisted. I would take a Medrol dose pack and once I got to the four pills a day the pain would come back. I got stuck several times trying to leave the school building at the end of the day. If I had a wall, I could pull myself along, but once I got to the open cafeteria and parking lot, it could take me up to 30 minutes to shuffle out to my car.

The climax came one morning in early May when I got out of bed to let the cat out and absolutely could not walk back to the bedroom. I called in sick to work and made an appointment with a new orthopedic surgeon. By the time I went in to see him, I couldn’t walk unassisted at all. He diagnosed me with a fracture of the sacrum and put me on bed rest for six weeks.

I remember during the first few days being in such intense pain that rolling over in bed would make me scream. My brother and his fiancee came to help out, and he had to help me up, crying, and wheel me in an office chair to the bathroom when I needed to go. I started taking Meloxicam at that point, and gradually developed the ability to sit up and move some on my walker.

We moved down to stay with my in-laws so they could take care of me and my almost three-year-old daughter (who I hadn’t been able to run and play with in a year at this point) and I went to one more orthopedic surgeon. He looked at my MRI(s), x-rays, CT scan, and bone scan (I almost forgot all those lovely tests) and sent me straight to rheumatology where I was promptly diagnosed with PsA.

Three days later I had started on Humira, and walked unassisted for the first time in a month into my one week follow-up exam. Three weeks later, my daughter and I flew across the country to join my husband at his new job, and here we are.

Some days I can forget anything is wrong at all, and others I feel like I’m falling apart, but I’m still here, and I can play tag and hide and go seek in the back yard most days. So that’s something.

Lucky you Beeham: you have a diagnosis, a rheumatologist who is treating you aggressively and … and you found this community. We’re glad that you did, and we hope that you will be too.

Living with this disease can be challenging, but with determination, self care and support life can be good again.

A warm welcome to you.

Hey and welcome! I’m so glad for the last bit of your post! I’m so sorry you went trough all that… but awesome that you can move again even if it’s just most of the time…

@Seenie @Cynthia Thanks! You’re right, I’ve been fortunate in many, many ways. I’m excited to have found this group and plan to spend lots of time reading to see if some of my lingering questions have been answered here.

1 Like

There’s lots of history here, and the search feature works well. One of the things that is nice to do is to post on an old (dormant) thread. That will trigger emails to those people, and some might respond. Makes for good conversation. Or, you can just ask and get the same old people like me responding. Again. LOL :wink:

What a perfect way to describe the quest that all of us seem to be on.

Too true.

Welcome aboard Bee, and I’m glad to hear you’ve got yourself a treatment plan in place that’s working for you (unless it decides not to for a hot minute).

Sounds like one heck of a journey you got through to get to the diagnosis, but hooray you, you got to that point, and are working on moving on with your life. Nothing but positives (even when it doesn’t feel like it).

Oh my gosh, Beeham, your story brings tears to my eyes! So sad that this happened to you in your early thirties (one of my daughters, 35, who is also a mom, has been having off and on problems with painful arms and tingling in her fingers–I’m EXTREMELY worried for her) and I tend to feel motherly to the young people on here who suddenly have all the unexplained pain and problems and get diagnosed with PsA. I didn’t go through that until my 50s, and it’s unimaginable to think of going through this while in the prime of your life and raising kids–the disappointment of not being able to be as active of a parent as you want to be must be overwhelming at times!
I was SO happy to read that Humira is working for you and has given you back some normalcy! This is such a success story and I’m glad you shared it–especially for some of the other newbies here who haven’t started a biologic yet and feel desperate. Thanks for telling us your story, and please stick around!

@Dilorenzo and @Grandma_J, thanks for making me feel welcome! It’s good to hear that all things considered I’m doing well. Grandma, I hope your daughter finds out it’s nothing but a pinched nerve or something easy to fix!

1 Like

She’s down-playing it now and I think because she knows I worry so much! She told me she thinks that’s all it is–a pinched nerve–and I hope she’s right. She’s almost constantly icing her back and arms now!