Help me - help her

This is my first blog - just joined today.....thanks for your kind words and wishes. I have a few questions that I am hoping you can help me with. My daughter's bloodwork has never shown the PsA gene - or R factor.....nothing unusual. She was very sick - strept throat - then two weeks later began having the joint issues. She was first diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis (lives in CA - working full time and going to Art School)....when she came up here several months later and I attended the physical, her 2nd opinion with a Rheumatologist diagnosed her PsA (my history with psoriasis and her grandfather's rheumatoid arthritis).

My daughter's jaw continues to be locked (after months of prednaszone) and she has just began her first dose of methotrexate. She is also taking that one drug that can make you go blind. I am so concerned about the toxic chemicals she is beginning to take - and will take for the rest of her life.

I was wondering if I should suggest she move home and go with a more holistic approach (diet, exercise, probiotics, etc.) where we can totally work on her "whole person". Am I just reaching for thin air? Should I just resign myself to the fact that she will begin this course of drugs so she can have relief?

I have done about 50 hours worth of on-line research. I know that it is important to hit it hard when PsA is first diagnosed. But, really? My dad began taking Remicade in his 50's and has suffered all kind of health issues - has had Non-Hogkins Lymphoma for the past three years - heart and lung issues. He is now in his 70's.

Please give me any words of wisdom. She is breakin' my heart and I want to do the right thing for her. The last thing she probably wants to do is leave sunny CA and her boyfriend to come home to cold OR and her mother that will make her eat right.

Anything will help. Thanks!

Sounds like PsA runs in the family. My own PsA is not under control, after trying methotrexate & prednisone to no avil.......I will see my rheumy on the 17th of this month & will try yet another medication. I do hear that once it is under control you feel much better. Give your daughter time to see if the medication helps her. I know it is difficult to see your daughter suffer, offer her your love & support. I am sure it will be very appreciated. That by itself will be a BIG comfort to her.

Just keep in mind that the holistic treatments alone may not slow joint damage, and that weather is a major factor in this disease. If you read through here, you will learn so much from so many good people.